I see no need to own a cast iron pan

It is best to use hot water to wash cast iron. Reason being that cold water on a warm or hot pan can cause warping or cracking and hot water helps dislodge any oils or grease that may need to be removed. No, you will not hurt the seasoning of your cast iron pan with hot water.
I let it cool down before washing it. It is the oil that keeps it seasoned. Getting a little out with cold water and then wiping it is fine. Using hot water and or soap to remove the oil will affect the seasoning.

And the fact it easily scratches ceramic cooktops and sinks as well. I ditched mine 25 years ago and went carbon steel.
Funny, I ditched my ceramic cooktop! I did not enjoy cooking on it.

Funny, I ditched my ceramic cooktop! I did not enjoy cooking on it. I do understand your pov though.
I know from experience. I ditched my cast iron 25 years ago and never looked back.

Induction is a go go for me. Will never use anything else. Same with carbon steel pans
Not for me. I like to see and adjust the flame. Not all my cookware will work with induction. Stuff on the cooktop or pan can act as an insulator and you won't get accurate temperatures. (I have experienced this) pots and pans can stick to the cooktop. You need the right sized cookware and it must be flat. Cooktops can get scratched and will not perform properly.

Not for me. I like to see and adjust the flame. Not all my cookware will work with induction. Stuff on the cooktop or pan can act as an insulator and you won't get accurate temperatures. (I have experienced this) pots and pans can stick to the cooktop. You need the right sized cookware and it must be flat. Cooktops can get scratched and will not perform properly.
Seeing a flame? you get down there and look? you can't see the flame unless you git a small diameter pan on a large burner...
All my pans are flat. Cooktops can get scratched, but carbon steel is much lighter, and I have yet to scratch my induction cooktop.
Natural gas stoves are not good for your health.
Natural gas stoves release carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and other harmful pollutants into the air, which can be toxic to people and pets.

Seeing a flame? you get down there and look? you can't see the flame unless you git a small diameter pan on a large burner...
All my pans are flat. Cooktops can get scratched, but carbon steel is much lighter, and I have yet to scratch my induction cooktop.
Natural gas stoves release carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and other harmful pollutants into the air, which can be toxic to people and pets.
Yes I do look and no, you don't need a small pan to do it if you're a good cook. A scant minority of people negatively affected by gas stoves is no reason to claim they are harmful.

I'm glad you're happy with your induction cooking. Why do you feel the need to say gas ranges are toxic? Seems you have some kind of hidden agenda.

Yes I do look and no, you don't need a small pan to do it if you're a good cook. A scant minority of people negatively affected by gas stoves is no reason to claim they are harmful.
You do need a small pan on a large burner to physically see the flame unless you look underneath. The flame is completely covered by the pan.
no you can not convince me otherwise. I have used gas stoves. It is not my first rodeo. They are harmful. But we are not talking about this topic anymore in this thread.

I love my carbon steel pans and would not trade them for anything else unless technology evolved and I liked what I saw and how it performed.

I'm glad you're happy with your induction cooking. Why do you feel the need to say gas ranges are toxic? Seems you have some kind of hidden agenda.
Because they are. It is a fact, and documented.
When my natural gas range crapped out I replaced it with a glass cooktop and when induction became mainstream, I replaced it with that.
Look, this is Innovation. I like innovation. Carbon steel pans are innovative as well. Best of luck on your cooking!

AMF

Because they are. It is a fact, and documented.
When my natural gas range crapped out I replaced it with a glass cooktop and when induction became mainstream, I replaced it with that.
Look, this is Innovation. I like innovation. Carbon steel pans are innovative as well. Best of luck on your cooking!

AMF
No, it's not a fact that gas stoves are causing harm at all. That's climate change goobledy gook. As I said a scant minority may be negatively affected but that's no reason to claim gas stoves are 'toxic.' Aaaaaand best of luck to you as well. Your Avatar name is toxic too. LOL

Some Tuna Can Carry Up To 36 Times The Toxic Chemicals Of Others. Here's Why​

No, it's not a fact that gas stoves are causing harm at all. That's climate change goobledy gook. As I said a scant minority may be negatively affected but that's no reason to claim gas stoves are 'toxic.' Aaaaaand best of luck to you as well.
Yes, it is a fact.

Decades of research do not lie. I am not even talking about the methane. There are health risks associated with natural gas stoves.

hold up...i am one of those...you wont get me near a gas stove....i know they are suppose to be better with adjustable heat being faster but i avoid things that explode for no reason

Well, I've met my carbon steel skillet of choice and I can say it WON'T be the Lodge! I have found the ultimate skillet, better than anything else I have ever seen and when I get around to buying one, I just hope I don't have to wait too long to get one as they are in very limited supply.

The best don't come cheap or easy.

I know from experience. I ditched my cast iron 25 years ago and never looked back.
I had a similar path. I owned one cast iron pan that I used mainly to sear meat, do some breakfast things like potatoes, and make grilled cheese sandwiches, but when I got a really good stainless steel skillet I found it seared well too so I started reaching for the cast iron pan less and less, eventually it ended up in the garage and I haven't missed it. I come across people all the time who tell me that cast iron is essential, yet they can never give me a good reason other than claims I need it to sear that I know are false. That is how I end up with hilarious exchanges like:

Ave: Cast iron doesn't heat evenly

HWGA: Mine does, look at this bread I baked in the oven!

Ave: Here is an IR picture of how uneven it is on a burner after 30 minutes

HWGA: Well my cast iron is the exception, it heats evenly

Ave: No, it isn't. Physics and all.

HWGA: You think cast iron sucks but many chefs use it.

Ave: I never said it sucks, I just pointed out a disadvantage of it.

HWGA: Le Creuset is cast iron, I bet you didn't know that!

Ave: No, Le Creuset is a brand that makes both cast iron and stainless steel cookware.

HWGA: Have you ever won a cooking competition?

Ave: No. That doesn't change the inherent properties of cast iron.

HWGA: I retired at 46!

Ave: That doesn't make cast iron heat evenly

HWGA: My IQ is so high I worked on the F-22!

What I use is none of your business. I'm not the moron debating cookware. LMAO
You're even worse, you're the moron who keeps posting over and over in a thread about cookware, yet not even discussing cookware.

What kind of mouth breather talks about how dumb it is to argue about cookware, sees the thread, and clicks on it again to start typing another post. Complete with the "LMAO" sounding like the texts I get from my 9th grade nephew.

Yeah...because all of the people who used cast iron for generations are wrong and you're right:lol:
Lemming logic a profoundly stupid way to make your case here.

I bet far more people use nonstick cookware sets than cast iron, so by your way of thinking doing everything on nonstick cookware is the best way.

Try Le Creuset ghetto boy.
Why? Be specific, what exactly can your Le Creuset dutch oven do that I can't do in my All Clad rondeau?

You havent been keeping up.
I have a lot of Be Buyers French carbon steel pans.
They still dont compare to cast iron pans.
Same question, why? What is so much better in your cast iron pans compared to carbon steel?

Forum List

Back