I see no need to own a cast iron pan

Well, I've met my carbon steel skillet of choice and I can say it WON'T be the Lodge! I have found the ultimate skillet, better than anything else I have ever seen and when I get around to buying one, I just hope I don't have to wait too long to get one as they are in very limited supply.

The best don't come cheap or easy.
popcorn-michael-jackson.gif

"Be Buyers" ?

Last edited:
No, it's not a fact that gas stoves are causing harm at all. That's climate change goobledy gook. As I said a scant minority may be negatively affected but that's no reason to claim gas stoves are 'toxic.' Aaaaaand best of luck to you as well. Your Avatar name is toxic too. LOL

Some Tuna Can Carry Up To 36 Times The Toxic Chemicals Of Others. Here's Why​

^^Gas stove danger denier :oops:
GFY
I love my carbon steel pans and my cornbread is the best in the world as well.

Last edited:
"Be Buyers" ?

Na. I'm sure they are good, but I read a lot of complaints about their epoxy coated handles being an issue if roasting in the oven. I'm actually considering two high tech non-stick, a carbon steel and a cast iron right now.

The non-sticks are the best in the business yet too many people still complain about sticking, defects, warranty issues and short lives. Seems non stick is the way to go if you plan to replace your cookware every 3-5 years.

The cast iron is best in business, very expensive, to die for, what is there not to like about it (budget is wide open), but iron is high maint and very reactive to acids.

Try as I might, I keep looking at all of the options, the all clad aluminum or copper clad stainless with high tech ceramic coatings, another iron, then I come back to the carbon steel goddess as my favorite option, much like the iron, last forever, non-stick, less reactive than iron, heats up faster, good heat retention, good balance between even heating and better heat control, a bit less maintenance, and just engineered beautifully.

You can spend less and get pretty good cookware or even higher tech performance that might only last a few years or you can invest in cookware which is made to work well and last generations. I'm going for the throat. I'm just a home cook but I was raised on cooking by a pro-trained chef who was a close friend for ages who cut no corners.

Well, bless yer heart.
Thanks.

"Give me Carbon Steel Pans and an Induction cooktop or give me Death" - Tuna 11/10/2023

Na. I'm sure they are good, but I read a lot of complaints about their epoxy coated handles being an issue if roasting in the oven. I'm actually considering two high tech non-stick, a carbon steel and a cast iron right now.

The non-sticks are the best in the business yet too many people still complain about sticking, defects, warranty issues and short lives. Seems non stick is the way to go if you plan to replace your cookware every 3-5 years.

The cast iron is best in business, very expensive, to die for, what is there not to like about it (budget is wide open), but iron is high maint and very reactive to acids.

Try as I might, I keep looking at all of the options, the all clad aluminum or copper clad stainless with high tech ceramic coatings, another iron, then I come back to the carbon steel goddess as my favorite option, much like the iron, last forever, non-stick, less reactive than iron, heats up faster, good heat retention, good balance between even heating and better heat control, a bit less maintenance, and just engineered beautifully.

You can spend less and get pretty good cookware or even higher tech performance that might only last a few years or you can invest in cookware which is made to work well and last generations. I'm going for the throat. I'm just a home cook but I was raised on cooking by a pro-trained chef who was a close friend for ages who cut no corners.
My carbon steel pans are priceless. When I die, I am taking them to the After Life.

Thanks.
"Give me Carbon Steel Pans and an Induction cooktop or give me Death" - Tuna 11/10/2023

What is the big deal with an induction cooktop? I mean, I understand how it works, but there are losses and inefficiencies involved, so, the only thing left I see as an advantage is a smooth top which is easy to clean spillovers, but it scratches, can crack, and you can't use everything on it.

What is the big deal with an induction cooktop? I mean, I understand how it works, but there are losses and inefficiencies involved, so, the only thing left I see as an advantage is a smooth top which is easy to clean spillovers, but it scratches, can crack, and you can't use everything on it.
you can use carbon steel on it and that is all I use
It heats EXTREMELY fast, there are ZERO inefficiencies (DO YOUR HOMEWORK)
Induction appliances are up to three times more efficient than gas stoves, and up to 10% more efficient than conventional smooth top electric ranges.

Induction cooktops are extremely popular around the world and the USA is finally catching on.
The numbers are in: Americans are seeing the benefits of induction appliances. In Consumer Report's June 2022 nationally representative survey , almost 70% of people said they would consider induction for their next range or cooktop.

In addition, you are not going to get burned... they really do not heat up

Chefs and home cooks can make beautiful meals on induction cooktop. You can touch the cooktop without getting burned—the only heat is between the pan and the induction element.

Last edited:
I doubt that. Your carbon steel pans were probably about $40-$80 a pop when new. But unlike non-stick, unless you warp the thing by abusing it, it probably will last a generation or two.
Mine are hand made. You have no idea what you are talking about. Put the liquor bottle down.

Last edited:

You are not going for the throat. A Lodge Pan is way out of your league, but you can attempt to use one and see what happens.
Everyone has to start somewhere.

Good night John Boy.
Dream about induction and carbon steel.

you can use carbon steel on it and that is all I use
It heats EXTREMELY fast, there are ZERO inefficiencies (DO YOUR HOMEWORK)
Induction appliances are up to three times more efficient than gas stoves, and up to 10% more efficient than conventional smooth top electric ranges.

Ah thanks, Tuna, but I understand the technology better than you do, I'm a retired electrical engineer. It is an electric range, strike one, and I hate electric cooking. The oven will be all electric. The principle difference is just that instead of passing the current through a resistive element to generate radiative heat, the current is going through a inductive coil, much like the primary in a transformer, and as the field expands and contracts, it passes through the cooking pot metal inducing a current within the pot causing the metal to heat in unison, which means that if you want to lift or tilt the pot as you cook the food, you will greatly affect the magnetic coupling of the energy, plus you can forget about using aluminum cookware, or any non-magnetic stainless steels. Perhaps complexity would have been a better word than inefficiency, but if the power goes off, you are dead in the water. I like cooking over a flame, I can see the heat, but I suppose one nice thing about induction is that the kitchen should stay cooler though again, if it is winter or you live in a colder climate, the heat from a gas flame is just one more welcome source of heating.

Mine are hand made. You have no idea what you are talking about. Put the liquor bottle down.
All of them are hand made. All cast iron are hand made. Having a background in both electricity, material science and metallurgy, it seems maybe you are the one needing to put the bottle down. Unless you mean you went out in your garage and hammered and riveted your own cookware from an old car bumper.

You are not going for the throat.
Now you think you know what I'm doing better than me? You are drunk. Or stupid. Certainly arrogant.

A Lodge Pan is way out of your league, but you can attempt to use one and see what happens.
Ahha. I can get a Lodge pan in any 5 and 10 store for $25. They are as common as your stupidity.
What can you expect from a noob who when joining, misspelled his own moniker a Tunfish. :71:
Or maybe you intended to say tonfish. Your BS is as big as a whale.

Ah thanks, Tuna, but I understand the technology better than you do, I'm a retired electrical engineer. It is an electric range, strike one, and I hate electric cooking. The oven will be all electric. The principle difference is just that instead of passing the current through a resistive element to generate radiative heat, the current is going through a inductive coil, much like the primary in a transformer, and as the field expands and contracts, it passes through the cooking pot metal inducing a current within the pot causing the metal to heat in unison, which means that if you want to lift or tilt the pot as you cook the food, you will greatly affect the magnetic coupling of the energy, plus you can forget about using aluminum cookware, or any non-magnetic stainless steels. Perhaps complexity would have been a better word than inefficiency, but if the power goes off, you are dead in the water. I like cooking over a flame, I can see the heat, but I suppose one nice thing about induction is that the kitchen should stay cooler though again, if it is winter or you live in a colder climate, the heat from a gas flame is just one more welcome source of heating.
hahaha.gif

Now you think you know what I'm doing better than me? You are drunk. Or stupid. Certainly arrogant.

Ahha. I can get a Lodge pan in any 5 and 10 store for $25. They are as common as your stupidity.
What can you expect from a noob who when joining, misspelled his own moniker a Tunfish. :71:
Or maybe you intended to say tonfish. Your BS is as big as a whale.
hysterical-laughter.gif

You will be in way over your head with anything other than a paper plate and the microwave.
My carbon steel pans are hand made from the finest VIRGIN US Steel and hand formed. Heirloom quality, custom, priceless.
I am going to be cremated or buried with my carbon steel pans. You will not pry my carbon steel pans from my cold dead hands.
OP is correct, No need for cast iron. Outdated, better options.
AMF

Last edited:
CARLIGGY.JPG

hahaha.gif

Just finished using my carbon steel pans to make lunch. Delicious! EZ clean up.
I agree with OP, no way to cast iron. Been there, done it.

On a side note

Do professional chefs prefer induction or gas?

Professional Chefs Love Induction Cooking and You Should Too ...

Chefs love induction cooking because of the extremely fast heating and precise heat control provided through a high-performance glass-ceramic surface. Also, induction technology warms the pan and not the surface or surrounding area, so very little heat escapes into the room.

retired Electrical Engineer knows better. :laughing0301: :hhello:

MJ loved popcorn made in a carbon steel pot. The best.

SootedUpCyndi you hear that MJ liked popcorn and one time on stage his nose flew off? A week later his hair caught on fire.

Last edited:
Indeed. It isn't even close with gas, induction is far more efficient since it isn't putting energy into the air, just the pan.

We don't have one now but when we lived in Japan we only had a single countertop induction burner. It sucked having only one burner, but I got used to the induction stove and wouldn't be opposed to buying a better one someday.

Indeed. It isn't even close with gas, induction is far more efficient since it isn't putting energy into the air, just the pan.

We don't have one now but when we lived in Japan we only had a single countertop induction burner. It sucked having only one burner, but I got used to the induction stove and wouldn't be opposed to buying a better one someday.
I certainly hope the "retired electrical engineer" does not see this one....
I am in agreement no need for cast iron, BTW..

Indeed. It isn't even close with gas, induction is far more efficient

The magnetic coupling is efficient, but the process is complex.

GAS COOKING: Cheap, fail-safe natural gas ignited to plasma applied directly to pan. Done.

INDUCTION COOKING:
  1. Power generated at plant from coal or hydro, etc. converted into electricity.
  2. Voltage relayed to consumer across many miles of wires and step-down transformers, usually three.
  3. Power fed to range which then must electronically convert current into alternating EM field via induction coil.
  4. Metal pot within the field is then heated.
  5. Can't use aluminum, ceramic or non-magnetic steel pans.
  6. Any failure anywhere within that chain and there will be no cooking tonight.

Electricity goes out
Out of matches
Can't light gas stove
Sorry, no cooking tonight :)

Does not apply to me.. I have two backup generators :yes_text12:

Carbon steel pans. Been using them for 25 years. Mine are hand made, virgin US Steel.

Gas ranges are dangerous. health hazard. well documented.

Don't let any "retired electrical engineer" tell you any different. He is just a silly troll :)

I hope they BAN gas stoves. That ole bag o bones probably on his last leg :auiqs.jpg:

Why carbon steel? Well they truly are great. I use them every day. Made lunch today in the 10" carbon steel pan.
EZ cleanup.
Going to make Pancakes tomorrow morning. Yeah they will be so well cooked, will look visually appealing as well.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back