I think I figured it out. the real problem of this world is the wealth gap.

Does the additional pumping needed impact this? How long of a run to get to near boiling?

Just an FYI you are discussing with a ChemE here, so I've worked on distillation and RO systems.
I'm guessing it would take some experimenting to see if it is feasible. Heating water with the sun is very cheap. On sunny days I do my dishes with water heated by the sun in plastic jugs painted black.

But as I stated in another thread I do it to be a smartass, not to save the world. :biggrin: I'll leave that up to the experts.

Water jugs.JPG

The problem is concentration of power. A healthy government is when politicians are servants of the people, and that can be done only with limited powers of our governing bodies. An unhealthy government is when power is concentrated into the hands of oligarchs who view the people as subjects, as means of revenue. And with less localized sovereignty and the trend to more globalism, the more concentration of power that occurs.

But regarding desalination, we definitely need to increase that process globally. We cannot drain our lakes and rivers without consequences.

I'm guessing it would take some experimenting to see if it is feasible. Heating water with the sun is very cheap. On sunny days I do my dishes with water heated by the sun in plastic jugs painted black.

But as I stated in another thread I do it to be a smartass, not to save the world. :biggrin: I'll leave that up to the experts.

View attachment 675237

Batching water in jugs is one thing, having it done in flow conditions of the scale needed to make desalination economically feasible is another. The pumps needed would be pretty big, and every foot of pipe needed to reach a given temperature makes them bigger.

Batching water in jugs is one thing, having it done in flow conditions of the scale needed to make desalination economically feasible is another. The pumps needed would be pretty big, and every foot of pipe needed to reach a given temperature makes them bigger.
Maybe pump the seawater into elevated structures, then let gravity take it through the smaller solar heating pipes. As soon as the water is removed from the ocean it is being warmed. Even pumping it raises the temperature slightly. It would gain more heat in the holding structures. Every little bit of free heat helps reduce the cost of finally converting it to steam. Such systems could be operated only during sunny days to save on fuels. Lots of sunny days out west.

Last edited:
Maybe pump the seawater into elevated structures, then let gravity take it through the smaller solar heating pipes.

That's still pumping, and any energy you gain from gravity is the same energy you have to use to GET the water to that elevation in the first place.

It's why hydroelectric power only works in places where the water is higher naturally.

you can't remove salt from water by filtering through sand. The only two viable processes are distillation and reverse osmosis filtering, both of which are very energy intensive.

An aircraft carrier produces 200,000 gallons of fresh water a day.
It could be done but liberal loon environmentalist scream about how it with destroy the eco system.

An aircraft carrier produces 200,000 gallons of fresh water a day.
It could be done but liberal loon environmentalist scream about how it with destroy the eco system.

That isn't as much as you think, and as an ancillary function of a military vessel, economics don't come into play as much as they would for a water supply utility.

Desalination is a workable solution, but far more expensive than one would think.

That isn't as much as you think, and as an ancillary function of a military vessel, economics don't come into play as much as they would for a water supply utility.

Desalination is a workable solution, but far more expensive than one would think.

Oh I realize that.
But you dont need to replace all of the water supply just enough to keep your head above water....pun intended.

Oh I realize that.
But you dont need to replace all of the water supply just enough to keep your head above water....pun intended.

True, but is drinking water really the limiting factor or is agricultural water the limiting factor?

Desalination for irrigation is a exponential increase in the demand created if they truly can't rely on surface water or well water anymore.

Or unless they decide to stop removing dams and build more dams to catch the water that does fall, usually in large amounts but infrequently.

True, but is drinking water really the limiting factor or is agricultural water the limiting factor?

Desalination for irrigation is a exponential increase in the demand created if they truly can't rely on surface water or well water anymore.

Or unless they decide to stop removing dams and build more dams to catch the water that does fall, usually in large amounts but infrequently.

I wouldnt know.
We get plenty of rain in S. Texas.

That's still pumping, and any energy you gain from gravity is the same energy you have to use to GET the water to that elevation in the first place.

It's why hydroelectric power only works in places where the water is higher naturally.
Small pipes require more energy than large diameter pipes to move the same volume of water. Use large pumps/pipes to fill reservoirs and let gravity move the water through the smaller pipes. It might even be possible to use gravity to move the seawater through most of the process.

There's no free lunch, but you are trading power for food security.

Small pipes require more energy than large diameter pipes to move the same volume of water. Use large pumps/pipes to fill reservoirs and let gravity move the water through the smaller pipes. It might even be possible to use gravity to move the seawater through most of the process.

There's no free lunch, but you are trading power for food security.

That's due to friction losses, elevation changes are not impacted by the size of the pipes. You are trying to violate conservation of energy principles, good luck with that.

That's due to friction losses, elevation changes are not impacted by the size of the pipes. You are trying to violate conservation of energy principles, good luck with that.
Frictional losses add up, but I'm not concerned with that. Run the pumps, provide for the water needs. You can pump a lot of water with a little power.

Anyway, no need to reinvent the wheel. We can get help from the Israelis and the Arabs. They've been doing this for decades.

Last edited:
The wealth gap has and always will exist. But most anyone can accumulate wealth (provided they haven't overpopulated their country into perpetual poverty) if they apply the right principles. The biggest 'real problem' is unrealistic expectations.

And the easy conversion of salt water to fresh water problem, which is *easy* to fix. But the richest 10% of the world's populations fear the poorer ones, so they rather see the poor die in large numbers every 50 to 80 years. It's been this way since the time Noah, Jesus, Mohammed and Moses, or even since the times of the Neanderthals vs the modern humans :(

Fixing that salt water to fresh water problem is done I think via the filtering of pumped up salt water through sand, sand which then later can be turned into soil for farming (the very 'green' Dutch Dune sea coastline was made this way {over decades or a couple of centuries} and this process can be repeated even on the shores of the Sahara and countries like Iran or Iraq, with different plants than were used in The. Netherlands) or glass or something (we humans do love to work and play with fire sometimes. well, some of us do. we all like different types of activities in our lives of course).

written on an Android smartphone, an Android One by Nokia.

and then posted to usmessageboard using my 'famous linux laptop', Magpie-at-nicer-dot-app ;)
Have you give a moment's consideration of the consequences of taking too much salt out of the world's oceans?

Have you give a moment's consideration of the consequences of taking too much salt out of the world's oceans?

You dont take it out you put it back when you're done desalinating the water.
That's one of the environuts beefs. They dont want us to dump the salt back because it would make the area you dump it in to salty which will kill the ecosystem.
I dont see why you couldnt load the stuff on a modified container ship and dump it off shore while moving to spread it out.
Of course that would add to the cost.

Frictional losses add up, but I'm not concerned with that. Run the pumps, provide for the water needs. You can pump a lot of water with a little power.

Anyway, no need to reinvent the wheel. We can get help from the Israelis and the Arabs. They've been doing this for decades.
The ME problems with desalination are bad & getting worse...

But an incomprehensible OP has led to an interesting discussion. :)

Martybegan = 100% correct on all counts

Last edited:

Forum List

Back