I want my dog to gain weight

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
And I need some advice. He is about year and a half old black lab and kerr mix. Medium size.
I want to fatten him up a bit. He is healthy but I want to add a few more pounds to him.
He eats his dog food just fine but he only eats so much, so I can't just give him more and that be the end of it. It will sit in his bowl till the next day. He will devour meat though. And junk food. And bread and dairy. Lol So should I just add more meat to his diet?
Would raw be better than cooked?
What about milk? I give him about a bowl a week right now and he loves it.
He also gets 3 or 4 raw eggs a week, if that matters.

Give him more meat, raw is better imo, but most vets dont say that. My dog is on a raw meat diet only, twice a day. Gets dog treats in between or carrots here and there. She loves carrots when im cooking so i just chopped them up as snacks.

Give him more meat, raw is better imo, but most vets dont say that. My dog is on a raw meat diet only, twice a day. Gets dog treats in between or carrots here and there. She loves carrots when im cooking so i just chopped them up as snacks.
Only veggies I can get him to eat is potatoes lol. But he will eat then however they are cooked. Loves em.
Seems that way would be best. More fat. More nutrients in general.

Last edited:
Only veggies I can get him to eat is potatoes lol. But he will eat then however they are cooked. Loves em.
Seems that way would be best. More fat. More nutrients in general.
I just googled potatoes and dogs and it said roasted potatoes only as raw or boiled potatoes contain solanine and are not safe for dogs. No idea what solanine is, but i guess it’s not good. 😀

I just googled potatoes and dogs and it said roasted potatoes only as raw or boiled potatoes contain solanine and are not safe for dogs. No idea what solanine is, but i guess it’s not good. 😀
Never raw but boiled a lot. Grilled a lot. Thanks for the info. No more mashed 😔

Give him healthy treats..... tasty and healthy, along with all that you are giving him.

Dogs and cats shouldn't be given milk. They don't digest it well. And never grapes or raisins. They are like poison pellets to a dog.
I think maybe the dog might know what's best. If he eats his food and doesn't want more, then maybe trust his judgment. Raw meat is really good for them, and especially organs.
Let him just develop on his own. Especially if he is active. He'll fill out in time.

Give him healthy treats..... tasty and healthy, along with all that you are giving him.
He gets those real bone things and peanut butter treats.
Screenshot_2024-09-06-17-45-51-102.jpg

Labs usually devour any food in front of them
Many things he will make himself miserable over. Other things he won't touch. And he only eats a certain amount of dogfood. No matter the brand

Dogs and cats shouldn't be given milk. They don't digest it well. And never grapes or raisins. They are like poison pellets to a dog.
I think maybe the dog might know what's best. If he eats his food and doesn't want more, then maybe trust his judgment. Raw meat is really good for them, and especially organs.
Let him just develop on his own. Especially if he is active. He'll fill out in time.
Milk is probably his favorite thing 😔

He eats his dog food just fine but he only eats so much, so I can't just give him more and that be the end of it.

I know this is not the easiest option, but have you considered making homemade dog food? A lot of the stuff in canned dog food is really bad, and from what I've seen, some dogs hate to eat it because they somehow know it's nasty.

I know someone who makes a homemade dog food of brown rice, lentils, a few veggies and ground turkey. And the dog absolutely loves it, and always eats all of it. He hates most canned food from the store.

Plus I think homemade food will give a dog a longer life, because it's so much healthier.

I know this is not the easiest option, but have you considered making homemade dog food? A lot of the stuff in canned dog food is really bad, and from what I've seen, some dogs hate to eat it because they somehow know it's nasty.

I know someone who makes a homemade dog food of brown rice, lentils, a few veggies and ground turkey. And the dog absolutely loves it, and always eats all of it. He hates most canned food from the store.

Plus I think homemade food will give a dog a longer life, because it's so much healthier.
No canned food. I don't want him squirting poop everywhere 🤣
That isn't a bad idea at all. Cost as much as dog food and I love to cook. Lol

Dog food in the morning, real meat in the evening.

Steak, turkey, and the best one - the BEEF RIB!!!

Also make sure your dog is exercising regularly. Make sure the dog runs, not just walk.

Every good dog deserves a beef rib. Give your dog a beef rib with a towel or paper towels under where it eats it, because the dog will drop it. But for the next half hour, your dog will do nothing except turn the beef rib into a museum caliber clear bone...

R.05c18579634eca09cac904a7982c4acc

Many things he will make himself miserable over. Other things he won't touch. And he only eats a certain amount of dogfood. No matter the brand
Our golden retriever lab mix only eats what he desires and quits. He is a healthy weight but slim. We run him until he is tuckered out daily. I'd say just keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like he is healthy, don't mess with a good thing.

Dog food in the morning, real meat in the evening.

Steak, turkey, and the best one - the BEEF RIB!!!

Also make sure your dog is exercising regularly. Make sure the dog runs, not just walk.

Every good dog deserves a beef rib. Give your dog a beef rib with a towel or paper towels under where it eats it, because the dog will drop it. But for the next half hour, your dog will do nothing except turn the beef rib into a museum caliber clear bone...

R.05c18579634eca09cac904a7982c4acc
He is very active when I'm home. We live in the country and he has several acres to run around in.
I always share my bbq with him. Especially ribs. Those are a three course meal for him lol. Fat bone and meat 😁

Forum List

Back