I want my dog to gain weight

He is very active when I'm home. We live in the country and he has several acres to run around in.
I always share my bbq with him. Especially ribs. Those are a three course meal for him lol. Fat bone and meat 😁

Just watch which bones.

Chicken bones are too fragile, will splinter and cause problems. Suspect pork may be but not sure.

BEEF RIB bones, a pit bull cannot chew through them, and I know, I've given them to pit bulls, the neighbors', always trying to be friendly with the neighborhood pit bulls...!!!!

And I need some advice. He is about year and a half old black lab and kerr mix. Medium size.
I want to fatten him up a bit. He is healthy but I want to add a few more pounds to him.
He eats his dog food just fine but he only eats so much, so I can't just give him more and that be the end of it. It will sit in his bowl till the next day. He will devour meat though. And junk food. And bread and dairy. Lol So should I just add more meat to his diet?
Would raw be better than cooked?
What about milk? I give him about a bowl a week right now and he loves it.
He also gets 3 or 4 raw eggs a week, if that matters.
we get skinless thighs and pressure cook them and add rice and steamed mixed veg with a little organic dry food and our dogs are plump to say the least, the old one a little more than she should be,,

all of it from aldi at a good price

they never leave food behind

Just watch which bones.

Chicken bones are too fragile, will splinter and cause problems. Suspect pork may be but not sure.

BEEF RIB bones, a pit bull cannot chew through them, and I know, I've given them to pit bulls, the neighbors', always trying to be friendly with the neighborhood pit bulls...!!!!
Pork bones are fine. Chicken bones are fine when it's raw. When they are cooked, they splinter off. So you avoid those.
I will give him the beef bones that I use for bone marrow for cooking. They last until I throw them away just because it's gross lol

• Thanks
Reactions: EMH
we get skinless thighs and pressure cook them and add rice and steamed mixed veg with a little organic dry food and our dogs are plump to say the least, the old one a little more than she should be,,

all of it from aldi at a good price

they never leave food behind
Yes I'm thinking I will start cooking his food. Using basic stuff like you mentioned.
I'm going to try that lactose free milk as well.

IMG_20240906_181336.jpg

Yes I'm thinking I will start cooking his food. Using basic stuff like you mentioned.
I'm going to try that lactose free milk as well.
once you get a system down it goes pretty easy

we get 3 bags of thighs and cook all of them up about every 3 weeks,
we use water from cooking the thighs to boil one box of rice to 3 bags of chicken
the steamed veg coms in small bags that last about 3-4 days each,
we do 2 oz of each and 3oz of dry food for 80 lb dogs

we had an old coon hound that quit eating and was going down hill fast and switched to this and she turned around and went another 2 yrs,

another benefit was we didnt have to scoop their poop,
the bugs ate it up in a few days,,

once you get a system down it goes pretty easy

we get 3 bags of thighs and cook all of them up about every 3 weeks,
we use water from cooking the thighs to boil one box of rice to 3 bags of chicken
the steamed veg coms in small bags that last about 3-4 days each,
we do 2 oz of each and 3oz of dry food for 80 lb dogs

we had an old coon hound that quit eating and was going down hill fast and switched to this and she turned around and went another 2 yrs,

another benefit was we didnt have to scoop their poop,
the bugs ate it up in a few days,,
So you cook all that down and just mix it up?

So you cook all that down and just mix it up?
we keep separate tupperwares of rice and chicken and the steamed veg stays in its bag and mix for each meal,

you do need a kitchen scale

we found some nice square stackable tubs that work great

OH we also use an electric pressure cooker and can do 3 batchs in a few hrs or all day if we forget to put the next bag in,

we tried chicken breasts but they didnt have enough fat for active dogs so we went with the boneless thighs

we keep separate tupperwares of rice and chicken and the steamed veg stays in its bag and mix for each meal,

you do need a kitchen scale

we found some nice square stackable tubs that work great

OH we also use an electric pressure cooker and can do 3 batchs in a few hrs or all day if we forget to put the next bag in,

we tried chicken breasts but they didnt have enough fat for active dogs so we went with the boneless thighs
Good deal man. Appreciate it.

And I need some advice. He is about year and a half old black lab and kerr mix. Medium size.
I want to fatten him up a bit. He is healthy but I want to add a few more pounds to him.
He eats his dog food just fine but he only eats so much, so I can't just give him more and that be the end of it. It will sit in his bowl till the next day. He will devour meat though. And junk food. And bread and dairy. Lol So should I just add more meat to his diet?
Would raw be better than cooked?
What about milk? I give him about a bowl a week right now and he loves it.
He also gets 3 or 4 raw eggs a week, if that matters.

Real meat, high quality protein and lots of exercise. And have his metabolism checked by your vet.

Good deal man. Appreciate it.
sorry I forgot one thing,
after we cook the chicken we put in the fridge for a few hours and then shred it in the food processor, drain off excess water after cooling it off before you shred it
that makes it easier to measure with a big spoon

you can hand chop it, but that gets old quick

Forum List

Back