Idaho is the fastest growing state in Union - Wyoming dead last

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Why? - Despite all the fluffing from Trump .. Coal is dead & the Fat Lady sings.

Half of Idaho's neighbors are in the top five. All but one are in the top 13.

The "but one" is Wyoming. It's dead last: 51st out of a possible 51 (our ranking is adjusted for population and includes Washington, D.C.). Wyoming lost 1.0 percent of its population in 2017 even as Idaho was gaining 2.2 percent.

On the surface, the two states appear to have much in common. They share a border, a birth month (July 1890) and even — for a few brief heady months in 1863 — membership in the "Idaho Territory."

Wyoming has long been the nation's coal king. The vast operations of the Powder River Basin produce more coal than all but a handful of states put together. But cheap natural gas has reduced power plants' dependence on the mineral. Wyoming's mines are shipping out fewer tons of coal and getting paid less for each of them.

That helps explain why the state went from the fourth-fastest growing in 2012 (D.C. was first that year) to rock bottom in 2017.​

Why people really want to move to Idaho but are fleeing our neighbor, Wyoming

the-coalindustry-revival-its-like-flogging-a-dean-ad-tech-19754131.png

Why? The Nazarenes out by Boise and Nampa while the LDS in the southeast baby make like crazy!

And their own kind move in-state to baby make with them.

Why? The Nazarenes out by Boise and Nampa while the LDS in the southeast baby make like crazy!

And their own kind move in-state to baby make with them.

LoL - Some truth to the LDS "baby-making" thing but we're experiencing a massive influx of newbies. Boise in particular.

Across the border in Idaho, the somewhat ironically nicknamed "Gem State" moved on from mines long ago, stepping first into agriculture and forestry, and later into manufacturing, technology and services.

As its economy developed, Idaho's cities far outgrew their Wyoming counterparts. In 1890, Idaho's population was 1.3 times larger than Wyoming's. In 2017, it was three times larger. The Boise metro area alone is home to more people than in all of Wyoming.

And Boise is booming. Most newcomers have settled in and around the capital, compounding the state's urbanization advantage. They appear to be drawn by the city's combination of size and low cost of living.

Idaho has the fourth-cheapest cost of living in the country, according to a 2017 index from the Council for Community and Economic Research. Only Arkansas, Kentucky and Mississippi are cheaper. Wyoming is 29th.

It's the tired tired old parable of two siblings, separated at birth. One began with natural gifts and found little incentive to grow beyond them, and another was forced to play a weaker hand but became stronger and more resilient in the process. There's probably a moral in there somewhere, but I'm guessing it's just "you should probably move to Idaho."​

I'll be of a mind to move my tax base out of Virginia should it continue its recent stumble along The Path of Error.

What do they do for fun in Idaho?

Why? - Despite all the fluffing from Trump .. Coal is dead & the Fat Lady sings.

The "but one" is Wyoming. It's dead last: 51st out of a possible 51 (our ranking is adjusted for population and includes Washington, D.C.). Wyoming lost 1.0 percent of its population in 2017 even as Idaho was gaining 2.2 percent.

On the surface, the two states appear to have much in common. They share a border, a birth month (July 1890) and even — for a few brief heady months in 1863 — membership in the "Idaho Territory."

Wyoming has long been the nation's coal king. The vast operations of the Powder River Basin produce more coal than all but a handful of states put together. But cheap natural gas has reduced power plants' dependence on the mineral. Wyoming's mines are shipping out fewer tons of coal and getting paid less for each of them.

That helps explain why the state went from the fourth-fastest growing in 2012 (D.C. was first that year) to rock bottom in 2017.​

Yeah people are FLEEING to Idaho.

Good conservative values, lots of school choice, lots of Mormons, lots of land.

Yeah people are FLEEING to Idaho.

Good conservative values, lots of school choice, lots of Mormons, lots of land.

Also has one of the highest populations of white supremacists.

I'll be of a mind to move my tax base out of Virginia should it continue its recent stumble along The Path of Error.

What don't they do for fun in Idaho?

National Accolades | Boise Valley Facts | Boise Valley Economic Partnership

Lotta hunters and fishermen if you're into that sort of thing. Just got another buttload of elk from my neighbor. He's got a cabin an hour up into the mountains from Boise and bagged it from his back patio.

Boise's a great place to live, work and shop. And we get four distinct seasons but nothing crazy.

Hey...............when I lived in the western part of Montana, there were many weekends I would hop over to Idaho just to go fishing. Some of the lakes and streams they have over there are loaded with prime sized trout.

And yeah, they also have some world class hunting up there.

If you like the outdoors, you could do a lot worse than Idaho.

That is, if you don't mind all the white supremacists up there.

Wyoming is pretty rocky and uninhabitable. Not surprising.

It's obvious that you have never been to Wyoming. Yes, there are mountains in the state, but they are on the western side of the state. The eastern side is plains and lots of ranching.

NW corner - Jackson Hole through Yellowstone is drop dead gorgeous.

But their are more Pronghorn Sheep in Wyoming than there are people. Just ask RWNJ :)

Last edited:

What don't they do for fun in Idaho?

National Accolades | Boise Valley Facts | Boise Valley Economic Partnership

Lotta hunters and fishermen if you're into that sort of thing. Just got another buttload of elk from my neighbor. He's got a cabin an hour up into the mountains from Boise and bagged it from his back patio.

Boise's a great place to live, work and shop. And we get four distinct seasons but nothing crazy.
Please don't tell the bozos. I was hoping to retire there.

Wyoming is pretty rocky and uninhabitable. Not surprising.

It's obvious that you have never been to Wyoming. Yes, there are mountains in the state, but they are on the western side of the state. The eastern side is plains and lots of ranching.

NW corner - Jackson Hole through Yellowstone is drop dead gorgeous.

But their are more Pronghorn Sheep than there are people. Just ask RWNJ :)

Yep. One year, I hung a left at Cheyanne and went all the way across the state, and then cut north to Yellowstone, back across Montana, and into Sturgis.

Did that particular little detour just for the scenery. There is one little problem though, coming across Bear Tooth Pass (one of the top 10 scenic drives in the WORLD, and I recommend driving it at least once) at the beginning of August it was freaking COLD. Started the morning in Yellowstone and the temp was around 60, but got to the top and it was 30 degrees and SNOWING.

Also has one of the highest populations of white supremacists.

Used to be true but mostly urban legend now - Some still left up in the panhandle.

Their heyday ended in 2001 when Richard Butler and the Aryans had their compound seized.

Some of those clowns ended up over in Montana and Wyoming.

Grow taters..

In Eastern Idaho yep - but we're still known for the taters.

What we do for fun downtown on New Year's Eve (seriously - it's a hoot! :~)

Hey...............when I lived in the western part of Montana, there were many weekends I would hop over to Idaho just to go fishing. Some of the lakes and streams they have over there are loaded with prime sized trout.

And yeah, they also have some world class hunting up there.

If you like the outdoors, you could do a lot worse than Idaho.

Yep, I can walk a block down to the Boise River from my place and catch a nice trout.

They also plant steelhead in the fall (got a nice one last year) and Chinook in the spring just for fun.

The Quixotic Angler: Wild Trout Thrive in the Boise River

Forum List

Back