Idaho toddler shoots mother dead in Walmart store.

The fact there are only 238 criminals killed in defense each year proves your claim of millions of defenses is false.

How do you claim that Brain.....I would like to know your methodology.....

And there are two parts to the reason why it is so low....1) law abiding citizens don't want to kill people....they will threaten, and they will only shoot when absolutely necessary....and most of the time they simply hold the criminal for police, or injure them without killing them.....the study you cite, the NCVS only counts deaths.....not injuries or captures, or scaring off criminals..

2) the majority of criminals do not want to be shot....because one, they might die, and 2 if they are just injured it increases the likely hood they may die later, or get captured as they seek medical attention, or are identified by their gun shot wound.....that is why most run, rather than fight....and since they can't shoot at gun ranges...they are lousy shots, and get outshot by good people....

Applaud the number Brain....the restraint shown by law abiding citizens is something that is congratulate, not complain about.....

Well there is common sense which should be enough. But we also have this very pro gun study:
Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters With Data Tables

34% end in a dead criminal. That is similar to what I have seen reading about different defenses.

The fact there are only 238 criminals killed in defense each year proves your claim of millions of defenses is false.

And there are two parts to the reason why it is so low....1) law abiding citizens don't want to kill people....they will threaten, and they will only shoot when absolutely necessary....and most of the time they simply hold the criminal for police, or injure them without killing them.....the study you cite, the NCVS only counts deaths.....not injuries or captures, or scaring off criminals..

2) the majority of criminals do not want to be shot....because one, they might die, and 2 if they are just injured it increases the likely hood they may die later, or get captured as they seek medical attention, or are identified by their gun shot wound.....that is why most run, rather than fight....and since they can't shoot at gun ranges...they are lousy shots, and get outshot by good people....

Applaud the number Brain....the restraint shown by law abiding citizens is something that is congratulate, not complain about.....

Well there is common sense which should be enough. But we also have this very pro gun study:

34% end in a dead criminal. That is similar to what I have seen reading about different defenses.

Brain.......that is what you are going to go with.........they are a pro gun source but they say right at the start they are taking their data from the Armed Citizen site.....and those stories only...which means the stories have to be in the news, somewhere in the country to even make their research......Brain....it isn't even close to a real study, it just analyzes shootings and fatalaties listed in those articles...not all gun self defense uses that actually happen.....

Brain...really?

Last edited:
Oh, I get it ......you don't understand that "The Armed Citizen" is the name of the portion of the NRA site where they collect media stories of people using guns for self defense...it isn't the name of a study....like say..."The National Crime Victimization Survey".......it is the title of the blog site.....

here...this is where they state it....

The Armed Citizen – A Five Year Analysis

Overview
For the period 1997 – 2001, reports from “The Armed Citizen” column of the NRA Journals were collected.
There were 482 incidents available for inclusion in the analysis. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included. The database is self-selecting in that no non-positive outcomes were reported in the column.

Talk about using bad information.....and I like the Armed Citizen site....you can see stories of law abiding citizens who use guns to stop crime....but it isn't scientific...or actual research......

Brain.......that is what you are going to go with.........they are a pro gun source but they say right at the start they are taking their data from the Armed Citizen site.....and those stories only...which means the stories have to be in the news, somewhere in the country to even make their research......Brain....it isn't even close to a real study, it just analysis shootings and fatalaties listed in those articles...not all gun self defense uses that actually happen.....

Brain...really?

It is a study of actual documented events. I see no reason why that sample wouldn't be accurate.

You are sold on surveys of up to 5000 people that extrapolate out to 3 million somehow? Not a single documented defense in those surveys. To that I have to say really?

The study says 34%. If your 1.6 million were accurate it would be .0001. That is just silly.

Oh, I get it ......you don't understand that "The Armed Citizen" is the name of the portion of the NRA site where they collect media stories of people using guns for self defense...it isn't the name of a study....like say..."The National Crime Victimization Survey".......it is the title of the blog site.....

here...this is where they state it....

The Armed Citizen – A Five Year Analysis

Overview
For the period 1997 – 2001, reports from “The Armed Citizen” column of the NRA Journals were collected.
There were 482 incidents available for inclusion in the analysis. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included. The database is self-selecting in that no non-positive outcomes were reported in the column.

Talk about using bad information.....and I like the Armed Citizen site....you can see stories of law abiding citizens who use guns to stop crime....but it isn't scientific...or actual research......

Yes a study of actual documented events. Not some fantasyland survey.

Brain....you say Kleck is wrong....and yet think that this look at specific shootings is the last word......wow.....

Brain....you say Kleck is wrong....and yet think that this look at specific shootings is the last word......wow.....

Do you have another study on the subject? If you read the armed citizen you must know a large percent ends in a dead criminal. You have posted examples on here yourself. You believe those surveys because you want to, not because they make any sense.

Brain.......that is what you are going to go with.........they are a pro gun source but they say right at the start they are taking their data from the Armed Citizen site.....and those stories only...which means the stories have to be in the news, somewhere in the country to even make their research......Brain....it isn't even close to a real study, it just analysis shootings and fatalaties listed in those articles...not all gun self defense uses that actually happen.....

Brain...really?

It is a study of actual documented events. I see no reason why that sample wouldn't be accurate.

You are sold on surveys of up to 5000 people that extrapolate out to 3 million somehow? Not a single documented defense in those surveys. To that I have to say really?

The study says 34%. If your 1.6 million were accurate it would be .0001. That is just silly.

brain...you are just wrong....those studies actually use very specific research methods...in particular, the people in Kleck's study were actually spoken to by the researchers....so you are wrong again.

again Brain...the 19 studies I list are actual studies using specific data gathering techniques, done by researchers trained in gathering that information....that is 19 different studies, conducted over a 40 year period by both government and private researchers....taking data from The Armed Citizen doesn't get the job done....I wish it did.....cause then guys like you would at least know law abiding citizens actually use guns for self defense.....instead of p just assuming that since you and your family never needed a gun no one needs a gun....

Brain...really?

brain...you are just wrong....those studies actually use very specific research methods...in particular, the people in Kleck's study were actually spoken to by the researchers....so you are wrong again.

No bill you are wrong. They talked to but did not document the event. It may or may not have happened. It may have happened a year ago or 15 years ago. They are just surveys that all arrive at different numbers proving how inaccurate a survey is.

I give you a study on actual events that are documented. There is no way a criminal is shot and killed by only .0001 of the time, and you know that.

a large percent of The Armed Citizen end in dead criminals is the reason they are reported on in the first place....that makes the local news....but rarely national news....

Brain...really?

No bill you are wrong. They talked to but did not document the event. It may or may not have happened. It may have happened a year ago or 15 years ago. They are just surveys that all arrive at different numbers proving how inaccurate a survey is.

I give you a study on actual events that are documented. There is no way a criminal is shot and killed by only .0001 of the time, and you know that.

Brain....going thru The Armed Citizen is not an actual study....please, is there anyone out there with a research background that can explain to him why he is wrong?
Kleck specifically spoke to each respondent who said they used a gun in self defense, and re interviewed them to double check their responses...look at his explanation of his work....

as to the deaths....they actually count bodies.....that is how they find the number of dead criminals.....kind of hard to miss the corpses.....

a large percent of The Armed Citizen end in dead criminals is the reason they are reported on in the first place....that makes the local news....but rarely national news....

And you think that explains the difference of 34% vs .0001? You can't possibly believe that.

Brain...really?

Brain....going thru The Armed Citizen is not an actual study....please, is there anyone out there with a research background that can explain to him why he is wrong?
Kleck specifically spoke to each respondent who said they used a gun in self defense, and re interviewed them to double check their responses...look at his explanation of his work....

It is a study of actual documented events. Not just a survey.

Brain...really?

He only talked to what 5000 people? How many positives out of the 5000?

here is another pro gun blog and they looked at FBI numbers and cross referenced the CDC....they have a much higher number....

How Many Criminals Shot In Self Defense Each Year Extrano s Alley a gun blog

Someone came by searching for “how many criminals shot in self defense in the U.S. each year?”

That is a difficult question to answer with any great degree of precision, simply because not all the shootings that take place are reported to the police, and many of those who suffer minor wounds never seek treatment. At least, they do not seek treatment from hospital emergency rooms.

Conventional wisdom based on prisoner interviews has it that law abiding Americans currently fire at criminals pursuing their trade between 100,000 and 150,000 times a year, and up to 20,000 of those are wounded seriously enough to seek medical treatment. That is generally confirmed by mining emergency room reports.

We do know by comparing FBI and CDC data that between 1300 and 1700 criminals are killed each year by individuals acting in self defense.

While I do not catch every instance of a fatality resulting from a Defensive Gun Use, the reports I do get average 3.27 fatalities a day, again generally confirming the data from official sources.

Stranger

Brain...really?

It is a study of actual documented events. Not just a survey.

brain...Kleck's sample size was huge compared to other studies, which is why his research is more accurate.....

keep in mind Brain...the 238 number...came from Joe...who knows where he got it from....

Forum List

Back