Idiot goes hiking in bear country during cub season unarmed

WB #41

Thanks.

You're right.

HAVING a gun is not enough.
If I had to do close-quarters mortal combat with a bear, a bolt-action .30-06 would NOT be my primary weapon of choice.
I'd go with that at range exceeding 100 yards.
But within 30 feet, I'd want high powered auto-loader.
The .44 Mag. is the obvious choice. But that's a protruding flange cart. It's for wheel-guns. NFG!
I like auto. loaders.
10 mm
.40 cal
Even a .45

b7d150476b1d9f7ffb01d7548b44a3517a1f4df.jpg

Take your pick.

WB #41

Thanks.

You're right.

If I had to do close-quarters mortal combat with a bear, a bolt-action .30-06 would NOT be my primary weapon of choice.
The .44 Mag. is the obvious choice. But that's a protruding flange cart. It's for wheel-guns. NFG!
I like auto. loaders.
10 mm
.40 cal
Even a .45

Take your pick.

I am partial to a big .44. If I were to spend a lot of time in grizzly country, I'd buy a short barreled double action. But for the few forays into those places, my single action Super Blackhawk will do. If I can't solve the problem with 6 round, I will be bear food.

I never understood why they kill off wild animals that attack or kill humans. They do that shit do animals in zoos too.
What proof do we have that once a wild animals attacks a human one time, that it will go out of its way to kill another human? Usually animals only attack humans when its the human intruding in their space.
Sadly you don't have fucking clue about predatory animal behavior.
Once a large animal predator get's a 'taste' of 'long pig' they will hunt the 'long pig' as their number one food source.
This food source is relatively large. Nice and fatty. Doesn't cost a lot of calories to run down. Zero danger from getting injured.
To a lion maruding a village in rural India to a grizzly who best days are behind her, with few teeth that 'long pig' beckons like a 'Double Double Bacon Burger and a gallon of fizzy water with artificial flavor to an inner city hippo.

Maybe he watched that stupid liberal commercial for the Leaf car where the bear hugs a dumb hipster liberal to thank him for saving the Earth.

WB #41

Thanks.

You're right.

I like auto. loaders.
10 mm
.40 cal
Even a .45

b7d150476b1d9f7ffb01d7548b44a3517a1f4df.jpg

Take your pick.
I'm in bear country every time I walk out the door. The other day I saw a male grizzly with a coat the color of a red fox. It was the size of a fucking Volkswagen beetle! It walked through the yard on the way to the lake in front of the house.
I always carry a 460 Weatherby Mag.
And my old friend the 308 Norma Mag. is just inside the door.
I can vaporise a fucking watermelon with the 308 from the length of four football fields.
My motto for the fucking real life 'Planet of The apes'? Come get some.

db #47
Splendid.

There's a fable about two that had to joust, and one deferred to the other on choice of weapons.
So the chooser took a long club, longer than a baseball bat.
The other chose a cudgel.
Then the one that chose the cudgel chose as the locus of their duel a small room.
There wasn't enough room for the baseball bat to be flailed, and the cudgel made mince meat of the chooser.

I live in black bear country. They leave their paw prints, and other calling cards on in my yard.

But (as you may well know) black bear personalities tend to be much more shy than that of grizzly bears.

What you don't want is for the bear to get the jump on you.
If the first moment you notice the bear, it's within 6', you are in all likelihood the main course for the day.

My choice of "cudgel"?

A hand gun that can deliver some foot-pounds to target.
You plant 3 or 4 rounds in a bear's forehead, he's going to have to reschedule his appointment with you. You can have a dinner date.

Canned bear meat is absolutely delicious!!

WB #41

Thanks.

You're right.

I like auto. loaders.
10 mm
.40 cal
Even a .45

Take your pick.

I am partial to a big .44. If I were to spend a lot of time in grizzly country, I'd buy a short barreled double action. But for the few forays into those places, my single action Super Blackhawk will do. If I can't solve the problem with 6 round, I will be bear food.

We've got a fancy custom made .44 ourselves. My husband had some something done so that in the case of an emergency I could shoot it without knocking myself out with the kickback (I'm 5' 8" and 120# wet, not exactly much of a strong person hahaha)

A gun has the sound though, just like the human voice ya know, it's "uniquely human" so a gun shot will often scare a bear off a charge, .

Old-timer guides will tell you a rifle shot often ATTRACTS a grizzly...they associate it with down game and will ramble over to try to steal it. Once it's chased off the terrified human hunter, it's free eats.

db #47
Splendid.

There's a fable about two that had to joust, and one deferred to the other on choice of weapons.
So the chooser took a long club, longer than a baseball bat.
The other chose a cudgel.
Then the one that chose the cudgel chose as the locus of their duel a small room.
There wasn't enough room for the baseball bat to be flailed, and the cudgel made mince meat of the chooser.

I live in black bear country. They leave their paw prints, and other calling cards on in my yard.

But (as you may well know) black bear personalities tend to be much more shy than that of grizzly bears.

What you don't want is for the bear to get the jump on you.
If the first moment you notice the bear, it's within 6', you are in all likelihood the main course for the day.

My choice of "cudgel"?

A hand gun that can deliver some foot-pounds to target.
You plant 3 or 4 rounds in a bear's forehead, he's going to have to reschedule his appointment with you. You can have a dinner date.

Canned bear meat is absolutely delicious!!

Black bear are common here...my son came up on one on the path to school. They saw each other at about 8 paces...the bear dove out of the path. But this was on a busy street, bordered by homes...where he dove into was just brush growing between the path and the next yard. Not a lot of space, though it was sufficient for him. But you know they're weaving around between properties, eating garbage. They leave piles of crap in the middle of our sidewalks and streets, they knock over the garbage cans. But they are indeed quite shy.

However a little north, at Long Beach, a friend of a friend of mine went out to walk with her dog..surprised a bear, the bear killed her dog and bit her in the stomach.

Don't mess around with bears. They're big wild animals. They can put a hurt on you. And the only time I've had bear meat was when I was a girl, and yup it was yummy.

They advise people hiking in bear country to know the difference between black bears and grizzlies. They also advise them to wear bells and carry pepper spray. While you are out in bear country, it is adviseable to watch for bear scat and know the difference between black bear and grizzly droppings. Black bear droppings will be smaller and have berry seeds. Grizzly droppings will have small bells in it and smell like pepper spray.

LOL......

A gun has the sound though, just like the human voice ya know, it's "uniquely human" so a gun shot will often scare a bear off a charge, .

Old-timer guides will tell you a rifle shot often ATTRACTS a grizzly...they associate it with down game and will ramble over to try to steal it. Once it's chased off the terrified human hunter, it's free eats.
Why would a human with a gun be terrified and run away?

Answer...they wouldn't.

Last edited:
Why would a human with a gun be terrified and run away?

Answer...they wouldn't. You're full of shit.

Now you've gone schizo on me again....First off, it's illegal to take a bear out of season. No hunter with any experience will engage a bear over a deer or elk kill. And one who thinks a grizzly after a kill will back off from a human is a fucking moron. It's you who's full of shit girlie.

EC #51
There's .44 Mag
and then there's, I think it's called .44 Special.
Some sources I've read say the lesser "Special" round can be fired from the .44 Mag. gun.
I've never done it.

Glad you're still alive.
Please do me a favor, and STAY OFF THE MENU!! ; )

Staying on topic really is a problem for you, isn't it?

There are "topics" on his board, homo. Complain and you'll either be ignored or have your thread merged with some asswipe like Scat's.

Yeah yeah. You come into a thread and make one moronic comment, then start right in with the shit.

You attempts at insults are laughable. And you are only making a fool of yourself. But you keep trying to look intelligent and tough there, Sparky. It is amusing.

Forum List

Back