🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Zone1 If a follower of Judaism simply cannot keep Shabbat, is there a way to make amends?

That's
But there is no atonement for breaking the Sabbath and not being in the Synagogue
That's not true according to Judaism. I said that seeking atonement for intentionally violating the sabbath is more complicated. I said neither that there is no atonement nor anything about a synagogue.

I didn’t say this. Rosend did, “If one accidentally does not observe the sabbath then there are means for atonement, but if one intentionally breaks the sabbath, the situation is more difficult.”
You know very little
One can ALWAYS atone for one’s mistakes.

Surely not everyone has Saturdays off from work. Or, they absolutely must refrain from rest for any number of reasons. any practitioners (or simply those in the know) have a recourse plan if you fail to properly rest during Shabbat? Maybe fast, ask for forgiveness etc. Thank you for your time.
Shouldn't the question being asked is not a question for Jews, but a hard question for oneself: "What changes must I implement in my own life so that I can keep the Sabbath from Friday night through Saturday."

Jesus once asked, who decides to construct a building without first sitting down to calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion? He was using this analogy to ask, "Do you have all it takes to follow me?"

I am certain the Jewish faith has a similar question or analogy because Jews don't easily accept converts to Judaism.

In choosing any faith, if one is looking for an end run around aspects they find difficult or unappealing, how serious are they about following that faith? I see your question as your first hurdle. Can you make it over?

Shouldn't the question being asked is not a question for Jews, but a hard question for oneself: "What changes must I implement in my own life so that I can keep the Sabbath from Friday night through Saturday."

Jesus once asked, who decides to construct a building without first sitting down to calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion? He was using this analogy to ask, "Do you have all it takes to follow me?"

I am certain the Jewish faith has a similar question or analogy because Jews don't easily accept converts to Judaism.

In choosing any faith, if one is looking for an end run around aspects they find difficult or unappealing, how serious are they about following that faith? I see your question as your first hurdle. Can you make it over?
There are Jews who have to work and they are not as strict as Orthodox. Apparently they would light candles at home after work and not cook or do chores around the house, some even fast to try and make up for the fact that they had to work on Shabbat. Not everyone can work M-F only.

There are Jews who have to work and they are not as strict as Orthodox. Apparently they would light candles at home after work and not cook or do chores around the house, some even fast to try and make up for the fact that they had to work on Shabbat. Not everyone can work M-F only.
To Jews who will not work on Shabbat, they will not accept a job that requires them to work on Saturday.

There are Jews who have to work and they are not as strict as Orthodox. Apparently they would light candles at home after work and not cook or do chores around the house, some even fast to try and make up for the fact that they had to work on Shabbat.
Loopholes. There is always a way.

Yes. There are those who will work other truly undesirable hours in exchange for having Shabbat off.
Or not truly undesirable hours….just a regular Mon to Fri job. For the Orthodox, they will usually make an arrangement to quit work an hour or two early on Fridays in exchange for later hours another day of the week. If the employer doesn’t accommodate that, they don’t take that job.

Last edited:
Sure they can. Just change jobs. Most of being a Jew is keeping the Law.
Yes, but Reform and even Conservatives suggest that in a difficult position there is some leeway, grudgingly. For instance, on Shabbat if someone is in danger of death they must try to save them. Some make the argument, "if I dont work, my kids and I dont eat and I am putting them at risk".

I read a story of a Christian who hurt herself in Israel during Shabbat, she required medical attention. A man wearing a yarmulke placed her in his car and started to drive her to the hospital. She told the man, "you must know I am a gentile". The man looked at her as if she was insane and said "so what? I'm Jewish and you need help". He didnt hesitate to drive his cae, even during Shabbat.

Yes, but Reform and even Conservatives suggest that in a difficult position there is some leeway, grudgingly. For instance, on Shabbat if someone is in danger of death they must try to save them. Some make the argument, "if I dont work, my kids and I dont eat and I am putting them at risk".

I read a story of a Christian who hurt herself in Israel during Shabbat, she required medical attention. A man wearing a yarmulke placed her in his car and started to drive her to the hospital. She told the man, "you must know I am a gentile". The man looked at her as if she was insane and said "so what? I'm Jewish and you need help". He didnt hesitate to drive his cae, even during Shabbat.
Well of course! Life always comes first. And that applies to Orthodox as well.

This isn't about others and/or "What if" situations. It is about you and your situation. When someone is truly sincere about converting to Judaism, it is good to take into account what is expected of a faithful Jew. Keeping Shabbat is a huge priority. A willingness to find a loophole for Shabbat may indicate a willingness to look for other loopholes as well when something else about practicing the Jewish faith proves inconvenient.

Judaism is not a faith where Jews, serious about their faith/way of life, will shrug and say, "Well, just give it your best shot." There are expectations and for this reason Jews are very cautious about welcoming converts.

This isn't about others and/or "What if" situations. It is about you and your situation. When someone is truly sincere about converting to Judaism, it is good to take into account what is expected of a faithful Jew. Keeping Shabbat is a huge priority. A willingness to find a loophole for Shabbat may indicate a willingness to look for other loopholes as well when something else about practicing the Jewish faith proves inconvenient.

Judaism is not a faith where Jews, serious about their faith/way of life, will shrug and say, "Well, just give it your best shot." There are expectations and for this reason Jews are very cautious about welcoming converts.
First, if I chose to covert I would decide to announce that or not. I try and keep the 613 Commandments,Shenma and yes, Shabbat.

The inquiry is about knowledge and the fact that I KNOW not every follower of Judaism works only M-F

First, if I chose to covert I would decide to announce that or not. I try and keep the 613 Commandments,Shenma and yes, Shabbat.

The inquiry is about knowledge and the fact that I KNOW not every follower of Judaism works only M-F
Those would be Reform Jews for the most part, although Conservatives give themselves a little leeway in November and early December, when sunset is around 4:30 pm on Fridays. Orthodox Jews would never work after that time, and also need to allow themselves time to drive home….so that means wrapping up the week by 4 pm or so. It really is a small allowance on the part of an employer to let an observant Jew hang it up an hour early on Friday afternoon.

Besides, there is a lot of telework going on, with Friday the most popular day for work at home. An Orthodox Jew could choose that day, and then turn off the computer by 4:30. It‘s only a half-hour early, and it’s only for a short time of the time of the year.

Again, I am addressing you and your situation, not the exceptions you looked for and found. Has it occurred to you that even looking for exceptions speaks about how serious one is about practicing a particular faith?

I say this as a Catholic Christian who is not at all disturbed by reports that come along saying American citizens aren't going to church/practicing their faith as much? Why have people join one in church/worship of God who aren't serious? Churches/denominations will be a lot stronger once the chaff blows away.

Ask yourself: Are you chaff looking for another home? If so, you won't be any more comfortable--or welcome--in Judaism.

Shockedcandadian, I know what I truly am trying to say gently must be coming across as harsh--even cruel--and I hope you will accept my word that I am speaking hard truths out of gentle concern. I would convert to Judaism before I would ever convert to a non-Catholic Christian denomination (which I often think of as Christianity Lite). It was Jesus and the Catholic faith that deposited me into the lap of God, and I cannot turn my back on that. I am where I am by God's Holy Spirit, and I very much trust that God's Spirit will lead you (and others) as well. I am not--in any way--trying to dissuade you, just noting that isn't it the hard narrow way we should follow, not the wide, easy path? May God bless your journey.

Forum List

Back