If: electricity is made from coal, we import too much foreign oil, and we want to save American coal jobs

Coal mining jobs have been in steady decline since 1950. All our coal fired power plants are 40 years old and no investors want to invest in new ones.

Maybe if there were a sudden increase in demand and changing market dynamics that indicated new long term consumer behaviors, they'd be interested in investing in new ones.

Maybe if there were a sudden increase in demand and changing market dynamics that indicated new long term consumer behaviors, they'd be interested in investing in new ones.
Could be. I think it's a long shot although new coal fueled power plants would probably be more efficient and cleaner.

Could be. I think it's a long shot although new coal fueled power plants would probably be more efficient and cleaner.

I don't think it's a long shot at all. As it is, we can barely produce enough electricity for current needs. An accelerating trend toward electric vehicles would necessitate more power plants. Republicans should really get on the bandwagon. Make electric vehicle a major party rallying cry. Use the objective to argue in favor of reducing regulatory hurdles to create new power plants and new coal mining operations. Support reduced (or even eliminated) fuel taxes on large quantity fuel purchases to shift the fuel tax burden onto personal vehicles and away from things like commercial transportation.

The best thing for Republicans is that if they found the wisdom to start becoming the champions of electric vehicles, they could really back the Dems into a corner and force them to support whatever the GOP calls for in pursuit of such an agenda. Because how in the world can the Dems suddenly be opposed to turning American roadways into a mostly electric place?

Shouldn't pushing electric cars be the Republican solution? Someone please check my math.
Why would someone push EVs. Our aging electrical grid is in trouble of being maxed out. EVs are an environmental disaster. We are having troubles creating enough electrical energy as coal plants go off line because of age. Environmental impact statements and other governmental regulatory matters make any new electrical generation seven to ten years before they even start.
Still waiting to see how things shake out in California when they start shutting off electricity when the wind blows.
You have way too many environmental wackos that would be “mostly peacefully” protesting if someone even proposed a coal fired plant.
Nuclear is even worse as the half life of the waste is actually as long or longer then man has had written language. Plus we have things like Chernobyl, three mile island and others to remind us just how safe they are. Fortunately we have managed by luck, courage and seat of the pants guesswork managed to keep the worst from happening.

Shouldn't pushing electric cars be the Republican solution? Someone please check my math.

1648004083377.png

Coal mining jobs have been in steady decline since 1950. All our coal fired power plants are 40 years old and no investors want to invest in new ones.
Except for much of the rest of the world which is building coal and nuclear plants hand over fist.

Coal%20plants-S.png
Nuclear%20Reactors-XL.jpg

While Democrats force us to sit on our laurels.

They are far cleaner and more efficient. China is building them daily.

Then again, President Clinton removed a massive amount of ultra-clean, very low sulfur coal from our stockpiles when he wrongly designated the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. The only other major source of such coal is controlled by his good friend, the Chinese.

Except for much of the rest of the world which is building coal and nuclear plants hand over fist.

Coal%20plants-S.png
Nuclear%20Reactors-XL.jpg

While Democrats force us to sit on our laurels.
What is the GOP doing to resolve the problem?

What is the GOP doing to resolve the problem?
Nothing we can do.

President Biden undid everything President Trump accomplished and made us energy independent.

We all know how Biden's plans have worked out.

Forum List

Back