If God doesn't exist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If everything is a miracle, ....
Seems whatever we can't explain is a miracle. I think as an atheist I'm completely fine with someone saying they believe in God. We've probably been having that debate since we started talking or maybe hundreds of thousands of years later or somewhere in between. We have curious imaginative superstitious minds and we don't like not having all the answers and we hate the thought of death.

The only people I have a problem with are the founders of the Mormon jehova Muslim Jewish and Christian faiths. Organized religions who've been putting one over on us for thousands of years

It just means we don't know yet.

So it was a miracle...

"A highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences."
Oxford Dictionary

...Or are you saying it doesn't meet that definition?

And just because we don't know doesn't make it a miracle.

I do believe it does.

If an ant walks out onto a busy 4 Lane road and makes it across is that a miracle?

What part of the definition I've provided doesn't this example meet?

Let's try it this way. Start from the beginning. You say a God kicked started the universe. OK, that seems like a confident definitive statement as if it's an unequivocal face.

Where did I state that?

So certainly you have at least one bit of evidence this God exists, right?

I observe God and his/her grand works everyday.

You surviving something is no miracle. You're just the smartest animal on this one planet and still very primitive.

Again... What part of the definition I've provided doesn't this example meet?

The question is there a God will never go away but hopefully the lies that he visited will one day fade

What lies would those be?

Before you criticize my beliefs any further perhaps you should read the rest of the thread.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Under your feet are some particles of dust. Take some glue and make a figure of an ant out if this dust. It would be a wonder if you would be able to do so in this way. It's nearly impossible to produce in such a way something what someone could identify as a kind of picture of an ant. Some people are destroying ants and make them to dust on no special reason to do so only because they do not to live in respect. This ants will become dust - what's not a wonder.

By the way: And some people build archs without any idea how to build an arch, because it is the will of god to do so. They are often called "crazy people".

Last edited:

So it was a miracle...

"A highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences."
Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

If an ant walks out onto a busy 4 Lane road and makes it across is that a miracle?

Let's try it this way. Start from the beginning. You say a God kicked started the universe. OK, that seems like a confident definitive statement as if it's an unequivocal face.

Where did I state that?

You surviving something is no miracle. You're just the smartest animal on this one planet and still very primitive.

The question is there a God will never go away but hopefully the lies that he visited will one day fade

Before you criticize my beliefs any further perhaps you should read the rest of the thread.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Is it not a miracle once it can be explained. The ants odds were 1 million to one. Lucky day.

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

I thought a miracle was a God intervention. My bad.

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

This, from a Harper's essay, by a physicist.

1. " …according to various calculations, if the values of some of the fundamental parameters of our universe were a little larger or a little smaller, life could not have arisen.

2. For example, if the nuclear force were a few percentage points stronger than it actually is, then all the hydrogen atoms in the infant universe would have fused with other hydrogen atoms to make helium, and there would be no hydrogen left. No hydrogen means no water.
Although we are far from certain about what conditions are necessary for life, most biologists believe that water is necessary.

4. On the other hand, if the nuclear force were substantially weaker than what it actually is, then the complex atoms needed for biology could not hold together.

5. As another example, if the relationship between the strengths of the gravitational force and the electromagnetic force were not close to what it is, then the cosmos would not harbor any stars that explode and spew out life-supporting chemical elements into space or any other stars that form planets. Both kinds of stars are required for the emergence of life.

6. The strengths of the basic forces and certain other fundamental parameters in our universe appear to be “fine-tuned” to allow the existence of life. The recognition of this fine tuning led British physicist Brandon Carter to articulate what he called the anthropic principle, which states that the universe must have the parameters it does because we are here to observe it. Actually, the word
anthropic, from the Greek for “man,” is a misnomer: if these fundamental parameters were much different from what they are, it is not only human beings who would not exist. No life of any kind would exist."
The Accidental Universe | Harper's Magazine

Miracle .....or coincidence?

Schrodinger's miracle; it is and it isn't at the same time.

Yes, in a grand, poetic sense we could call life a miracle. In another grand sense, as life is all that there is, that is all it is.

Seems whatever we can't explain is a miracle. ...

I's always a miracle if we are able to explain something - but this makes what we explain not less wonderful. Is "light" less wonderful only because we know it's a part of the electromagnetical spectrum? It's extremly in the opposit, because we also know in this case that our psychological structure creates a ring of colors where violett is as well the color of the deepest point of the spectrum of light as well the color of the highest point of the spectrum of light. And what is not wonderful if we see colors?

A wonder is not in contradiction to the natural laws - it is in contradiction to our knowledge about the natural laws.
Saint Aurelius Augustinus (11/13/354 - 08/28/430)

Last edited:

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

1. " …according to various calculations, if the values of some of the fundamental parameters of our universe were a little larger or a little smaller, life could not have arisen.

2. For example, if the nuclear force were a few percentage points stronger than it actually is, then all the hydrogen atoms in the infant universe would have fused with other hydrogen atoms to make helium, and there would be no hydrogen left. No hydrogen means no water.
Although we are far from certain about what conditions are necessary for life, most biologists believe that water is necessary.

4. On the other hand, if the nuclear force were substantially weaker than what it actually is, then the complex atoms needed for biology could not hold together.

5. As another example, if the relationship between the strengths of the gravitational force and the electromagnetic force were not close to what it is, then the cosmos would not harbor any stars that explode and spew out life-supporting chemical elements into space or any other stars that form planets. Both kinds of stars are required for the emergence of life.

6. The strengths of the basic forces and certain other fundamental parameters in our universe appear to be “fine-tuned” to allow the existence of life. The recognition of this fine tuning led British physicist Brandon Carter to articulate what he called the anthropic principle, which states that the universe must have the parameters it does because we are here to observe it. Actually, the word
anthropic, from the Greek for “man,” is a misnomer: if these fundamental parameters were much different from what they are, it is not only human beings who would not exist. No life of any kind would exist."

And if today was Monday, it wouldn't be Sunday.

Miracle ......or coincidence?

CI301: The Anthropic Principle

Claim CI301:

The cosmos is fine-tuned to permit human life. If any of several fundamental constants were only slightly different, life would be impossible. (This claim is also known as the weak anthropic principle.)

Source:

Ross, Hugh. 1994. Astronomical evidences for a personal, transcendent God. In: The Creation Hypothesis, J. P. Moreland, ed., Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, pp. 141-172.
Response:
  1. The claim assumes life in its present form is a given; it applies not to life but to life only as we know it. The same outcome results if life is fine-tuned to the cosmos.

We do not know what fundamental conditions would rule out any possibility of any life. For all we know, there might be intelligent beings in another universe arguing that if fundamental constants were only slightly different, then the absence of free quarks and the extreme weakness of gravity would make life impossible.

Indeed, many examples of fine-tuning are evidence that life is fine-tuned to the cosmos, not vice versa. This is exactly what evolution proposes.

2. If the universe is fine-tuned for life, why is life such an extremely rare part of it?

3. Many fine-tuning claims are based on numbers being the "same order of magnitude," but this phrase gets stretched beyond its original meaning to buttress design arguments; sometimes numbers more than one-thousandfold different are called the same order of magnitude (Klee 2002).

How fine is "fine" anyway? That question can only be answered by a human judgment call, which reduces or removes objective value from the anthropic principle argument.

4. The fine-tuning claim is weakened by the fact that some physical constants are dependent on others, so the anthropic principle may rest on only a very few initial conditions that are really fundamental (Kane et al. 2000). It is further weakened by the fact that different initial conditions sometimes lead to essentially the same outcomes, as with the initial mass of stars and their formation of heavy metals (Nakamura et al. 1997), or that the tuning may not be very fine, as with the resonance window for helium fusion within the sun (Livio et al. 1989). For all we know, a universe substantially different from ours may be improbable or even impossible.

5. If part of the universe were not suitable for life, we would not be here to think about it. There is nothing to rule out the possibility of multiple universes, most of which would be unsuitable for life. We happen to find ourselves in one where life is conveniently possible because we cannot very well be anywhere else.

6. Intelligent design is not a logical conclusion of fine tuning. Fine tuning says nothing about motives or methods, which is how design is defined. (The scarcity of life and multi-billion-year delay in it appearing argue against life being a motive.) Fine-tuning, if it exists, may result from other causes, as yet unknown, or for no reason at all (Drange 2000).

7. In fact, the anthropic principle is an argument against an omnipotent creator. If God can do anything, he could create life in a universe whose conditions do not allow for it.

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Is it not a miracle once it can be explained. The ants odds were 1 million to one. Lucky day.

images

It seems to me that being lucky meets the same criteria as being miraculous don't you think?

*****CHUCKLE*****

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

It seems to me that being lucky meets the same criteria as being miraculous don't you think?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Love Queen! Big fan!

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

Love Queen! Big fan!

Freddy was gay you know. I'm sure you liking him comforts him in hell for all eternity

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

Love Queen! Big fan!

Freddy was gay you know. I'm sure you liking him comforts him in hell for all eternity

Of course I know.
I found it interesting that he belonged to the Zoroastrianism religion.
Do you know there is a Zoroastrianism dating society.....and they believe in leaving the bodies of their dead for the vultures....to turn them back into nature?

I have idea where he wound up.
Nor why you'd wish that on him.

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

Love Queen! Big fan!

Of course I know.
Do you know there is a Zoroastrianism dating society.....and they believe in leaving the bodies of their dead for the vultures....to turn them back into nature?

I don't wish it on him nor do I believe he's in hell. I was mocking people who believe he's in hell because he was gay and now to boot he wasn't a Christian? Oh he's roasting for sure.

And that dude earlier asked me what's the harm in jesus' message.

Well if Jesus didn't say gays and non Christians are going to hell, why do so many Christians believe it?

Don't get mad at us your religion stinks.

And I don't tell people in person their God isn't real. That would be rude. That's what the Internet's for.

If Isaak Newton only had the internet or met an atheist

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

Love Queen! Big fan!

Of course I know.

I don't wish it on him nor do I believe he's in hell. I was mocking people who believe he's in hell because he was gay and now to boot he wasn't a Christian? Oh he's roasting for sure.

And that dude earlier asked me what's the harm in jesus' message.

Well if Jesus didn't say gays and non Christians are going to hell, why do so many Christians believe it?

Don't get mad at us your religion stinks.

And I don't tell people in person their God isn't real. That would be rude. That's what the Internet's for.

If Isaak Newton only had the internet or met an atheist

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Maybe less miracle and less coincidence but more a kind of very hard fact. If I remember well then all natural constants have to be very very very exact for living structures - in one case it are about 40 digits. So even if the speculation about a Multiversum would be correct: In case we would be able to communicate with other universes then in only less than 1 of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cases we would be able to find life within a universe of this multiverse. And we do not know anything about wether life is existing in more than one case in our own universe too.

Last edited:

So it was a miracle...

Oxford Dictionary

I do believe it does.

Where did I state that?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Maybe less miracle and less coincidence but more a kind of very hard fact. If I remember well then all natural constants have to be very very very exact for living structures - in one case it are about 40 digits. So even if the speculation about a Multiversum would be correct: In case we would be able to communicate with other universes then in only less than 1 of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cases we would be able to find life within a universe of this multiverse. And we do not know anything about wether life is existing in more than one case in our own universe too.

Life in our universe is probably not rare. What are the 5 most common elements of our universe? They exist everywhere. They exist in our sun, planet, space and in you.

So just because we are too small stupid and far to see life is all over the universe, that doesn't make us special or unique

Life in our universe is probably not rare. What are the 5 most common elements of our universe? They exist everywhere. They exist in our sun, planet, space and in you.

So just because we are too small stupid and far to see life is all over the universe, that doesn't make us special or unique

So they keep telling us sealy; might be true, but at this stage it is nothing more than speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back