If God Doesn’t Exist

If God doesn’t exist, the universe came into existence by chance, the first living cell developed from non-living matter by chance, and all living things are the eventual product of the blind, undirected process of evolution. In such a case, human life is no more valuable than dust, and there is no basis for saying that any life matters. Only if there is an author of life who creates and imbues us with a meaning greater than our physical parts can lives actually matter, and in an equal way.

If God doesn’t exist, there’s also no objective standard for labeling an action—such as murder—wrong. If we’re all just the product of blind, purposeless forces, morality is just an opinion. Unless there is a higher-than-human moral authority, no one has a basis for claiming that murder is objectively wrong.

And finally, if God doesn’t exist, the concept of justice is meaningless because there can be no right or wrong in the first place to require justice. As C.S. Lewis famously said about his conversion to Christianity, “My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” Justice requires a standard, and there is no objective standard in a purposeless universe.

No one has any clue what the Universe is or where it came from or where it is going

If God doesn’t exist, there’s also no objective standard for labeling an action—such as murder—wrong. If we’re all just the product of blind, purposeless forces, morality is just an opinion. Unless there is a higher-than-human moral authority, no one has a basis for claiming that murder is objectively wrong.

And finally, if God doesn’t exist, the concept of justice is meaningless because there can be no right or wrong in the first place to require justice. As C.S. Lewis famously said about his conversion to Christianity, “My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” Justice requires a standard, and there is no objective standard in a purposeless universe.

That is incorrect.

Prior to the Abrahamic religions the oldest "laws" contained punishments for murder, theft, sleeping around, etc. simply because it makes for a good society.

That is incorrect.

Prior to the Abrahamic religions the oldest "laws" contained punishments for murder, theft, sleeping around, etc. simply because it makes for a good society.
As defined by their God. And other cultures slaughtered and raped as a hobby. Both were moral in their own eyes, because without a creator of morality, morality is subjective.

As defined by their God. And other cultures slaughtered and raped as a hobby. Both were moral in their own eyes, because without a creator of morality, morality is subjective.

Or not.

Toddlers don't need a deity to understand that when another kid takes their cookie or their toy that it sucks.

If God doesn’t exist, the universe came into existence by chance, the first living cell developed from non-living matter by chance, and all living things are the eventual product of the blind, undirected process of evolution. In such a case, human life is no more valuable than dust, and there is no basis for saying that any life matters. Only if there is an author of life who creates and imbues us with a meaning greater than our physical parts can lives actually matter, and in an equal way.

you've not defined your god - christianity has been a murdering religion since the 4th century theirs certainly has not stopped them from whatever "objective standard" they are using.

the metaphysical forces need not be "higher than-human" simply understood and followed.

Even if the universe came into being by probability wave, there is still a God. God is the original cause behind everything. If that cause was a probability wave, then that is God. Something caused that probability wave to exist, something created that there was a probability, and something created waves. That's God.

There is no escaping God only denying the personal aspect of Him. Athiests who deny the personal aspect and claim personality, love and intelligence came out of chance are merely accepting the Impersonal nature of God, even if they don't realize, accept or wish to say so.
If God doesn’t exist,
Even if the universe came into being by probability wave, there is still a God. God is the original cause behind everything. If that cause was a probability wave, then that is God. Something caused that probability wave to exist, something created that there was a probability, and something created waves. That's God.
another one that implies without clarifying the "god" they are referencing.

Laws make for a nice society and a deity isn't necessary.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

Of course you know better

Last edited:
As sentient beings we know what's right and wrong, and it can differ based on religion, culture, etc. No God is required to acknowledge that hurting another human being is wrong.

We know what is right and what is wrong? You realize there are religions in this world, that believe it is acceptable and honorable to deceive and lie to people you hate.

Do you realize that slavery still exists in parts of the world today?

So when you say "we all know what is right and wrong" that statement itself is merely human opinion.

As sentient beings we know what's right and wrong, and it can differ based on religion, culture, etc. No God is required to acknowledge that hurting another human being is wrong.

I heard a woooosh! as the point flew right over your head.

Forum List

Back