Zone1 If God Is All Powerful, All Knowing, and All Loving, Then Why Didn't He Create Us To Be Perfect Like Himself

I give some ancient, ignorant sheep herders a pass on that. They didn't know any better.

We still don't it seems.

If we take the Abrahamic religion in context with the time in history from which it originated it makes sense but when out of that context and in the modern world it loses that sense.

If God has the power to do anything imaginable and knows all things, certainly He would have the power to make us to be exactly like himself. Certainly He would know how to make us perfect like himself, and if He truly loves us, then he would certainly make us to be the best we could be. So why did God create us as imperfect sinful beings instead of perfect beings just like himself?

Some have answered this by saying that God gave us free will and because of this mankind has chosen to be imperfect. However, this does not really answer the dilemma. If God created us to be perfect like Himself, then we would make perfect choices given that we are created to be perfect even as God is perfect. Does God have free will? Does God make bad choices?

As a Christian, how would you respond to this problem of imperfect and evil?
I would say it completely misses the point , even its own point

" For example, every individual has a divine idea corresponding to his essence and every individual perfectly imitates that divine idea. So for instance, there is a divine idea of Socrates and Socrates cannot be any more or less like the divine idea of Socrates, for then Socrates would be more or less like Socrates. Thus each person has an "ontological dignity," since we are exactly the way God intended us to be. We are of course a deficient likeness of God's nature, but not of his divine idea of us."

So questioner assumed he knew why God made us to begin with. ANd he is wrong there.
And he took as his yardstick for 'perfection' what he wanted. And he is wrong there.
God created from love and freely.

• Sad
Reactions: cnm
I normally don't answer when it is obvious the questioner doesn't care and does no homework BUT
Your entire premise is off

The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Pet.1:4) “For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God.” (St. Irenaus) “For the Son of God became man so that we might become God.” (St. Athanasius) “The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods.” (St. Thomas Aquinas)

Catechism of the Catholic Church, para. 460.

If God Is All Powerful, All Knowing, and All Loving, Then Why Didn't He Create Us To Be Perfect Like Himself​

There is a theory ... not widely accepted, but interesting ... that G-d is doing precisely that.

That our Universe is one massive petri dish in which the experiment that is our cosmos is developing from inception to it's ultimate form of god-like perfection and that we, as a part of that experiment are only a portion of the way towards that end result. Whether we are 1% of the way their or 50% is open to speculation but the idea is that we aren't done cooking yet.

scientist-with-petri-dish-feature.jpg

There is a theory ... not widely accepted, but interesting ... that G-d is doing precisely that.

That our Universe is one massive petri dish in which the experiment that is our cosmos is developing from inception to it's ultimate form of god-like perfection and that we, as a part of that experiment are only a portion of the way towards that end result. Whether we are 1% of the way their or 50% is open to speculation but the idea is that we aren't done cooking yet.

View attachment 885989
If it's theory , it denies revelation, if it denies revelation it is just you spouting at the neighborhood bar.

Why go through all of this if God could simply make us perfect like himself?
I just told you why. Do you not read? First of all, who ever decided that God could make us perfect like himself? That would be in effect God creating God, and God is outside/transcends the phenomenal/temporal universe; where is it written that God can create another of himself let alone a quadrillion to the quadrillion power more just like Him, especially when that is entirely in conflict with what God is? God is God, He is Himself. He is the original cause of all causes. He is beyond beginning, he is beyond end, yet you try to rationalize a creation of a billion trillion other gods who begin, even worse, exist separate from God while being God?! It is insanity and foolish mental speculation. Once again, tiny man tries to conceptualize God in the only finite way he can relate to as a separate entity to which others are separate and can co-exist like in a crowd, the exact opposite of what God is.

If he could make us to be exactly like Himself, which is his end goal according to Matt. 5:48 and John 17:20-23, why would He put us all through the suffering and death of this life when He could simply create us perfect like Himself.
What the Bible speaks of is us returning to be one with God, like guests living in his home, not being more, new, separate Gods. And man puts himself through his own suffering by insisting on being separate from God whose free will he gives us in his infinite mercy allows us to so choose.

You avoid the argument that why couldn't God simply create us with free will choice and with a perfect knowledge and understanding like He has so that we would make perfectly good decisions with our free will as He does and avoid all the pain and suffer of this world?
I avoid nothing. I have answered you as completely as you are able to understand. The failing is yours in avoiding understanding. The typical temporal, rational, skeptical, doubting mind instead of listening through the heart.

and yet the bible tells people they are inherently flawed, marked with the sin of long dead ancestors

So this perfect god made imperfect humans then on pain of punishment orders them to be perfect
god didnt make us,, he only made adam and eve,, how do you know hell is a punishment?? it could be better than this place,,

If God has the power to do anything imaginable and knows all things, certainly He would have the power to make us to be exactly like himself. Certainly He would know how to make us perfect like himself, and if He truly loves us, then he would certainly make us to be the best we could be. So why did God create us as imperfect sinful beings instead of perfect beings just like himself?

Some have answered this by saying that God gave us free will and because of this mankind has chosen to be imperfect. However, this does not really answer the dilemma. If God created us to be perfect like Himself, then we would make perfect choices given that we are created to be perfect even as God is perfect. Does God have free will? Does God make bad choices?

As a Christian, how would you respond to this problem of imperfect and evil?
Maybe, just maybe, God isn't omniscient. What if god knows exactly what we do, when we do it, but nothing before hand? This allows us to make decisions, good or bad. This removes God's culpability, because if he knows all things, then is there for culpable for all things. It's called "Open Theism". I know for many, it would be heretical. But it does not remove God's power, only His foreknowledge.

Maybe, just maybe, God isn't omniscient.
The root of the omni words in not simply 'everything' like 'knowing everything'. The original meanings all had a caveat. For example, 'omniscient' is knowing everything as soon as it is knowable. Sometime over the years, people started using it as also knowing something before it was even thought of. The original use is more accurate.

The same is true for omnipotent--having all the power it is possible to have. Usage changed its definition to unlimited power.

King James Bible Isaiah 45:9
Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
I'm not questioning God but simply questioning the those on this forum to have them explain their understanding of why God did not create us to be perfect as himself.

God knew all from the beginning.

He knew He would create us perfect. He knew Adam would fall, bringing sin into us all.

He already had the perfect Sacrifice lined up to save us.

He saw it all and decided: it's worth it.
I agree that God knew all from the beginning. I question that God create us to be perfect like Himself. I agree that God already had the perfect sacrifice lined up to save us. However, if were create to be perfect like God himself, salvation would not have been necessary. I agree that He knows the end from the beginning and that it was truly worth it. My question to you is why was it the best choice to create us as inferior beings and not to be exactly like God Himself?

It only make sense that this god has perfect free will so if we are made in that image we would have perfect free will and never freely choose the "wrong" path.

But then again the god of the bible exercised its free will by murdering countless people so what can be expected of the imperfect humans it created?
I believe that if we are imperfect beings with free will, we would likely never always make "right" choices.

God, as the overseer of our temporary mortal existence, has the right and authority to remove any human from this temporary existence since it is his plan and our voluntary participation.

Forum List

Back