if not evolution

"But you are not virtuous if you are made to be virtuous."

And neither are you virtuous if your virtue is dictated by a religious code, and you onlynattempt to adhere to it out of pure selfishness to save your imaginary eternal soul.

That's really a great observation.

Virtue can't be coerced. *Conformance* can be coerced, but in order for virtue to be exercised, there needs to be freedom of action with which to demonstrate one's virtue. There's a saying that "character is determined by what one does when no one is looking". The "no one looking" part is the important part – if no one is looking, you can get away with it, but what will you do? Merely following a set of rote commands because you feel forced or coerced to abide by the dogma - you are threatened with eternal punishment if you don't - isn't virtuous.

It's a paradox: virtue and character are only made manifest through choice and freedom. Pity that “dogma’tists” can’t seem to fathom this.

Virtue is a construct, and a fairly relative one at that. What is or is not virtue is ultimately decided by reason. And one may choose to be virtuous, but that one is not really consciously in control of that choice, as free will is an illusion. So whether or not one is virtuous can as dependent on what has happened to a person as it is on their genetics.
Why do you think that virtue is a construct and what makes you think it is a fairly recent one?

Not "fairly recent"...."fairly relative"

Virtue is a construct of the human mind, as is every other philosophical construct. This is self evident. I think you carry the burden to explain that it is not and why it is not, if this is what you are claiming.
And yet these are behaviors which have shown to naturally lead to success. Whereas societies which were devoid of virtue naturally lead to failure.

That's a vapid point, considering nearly every society in history has failed in one way or another.

Every single communist state was a militant atheistic state and is the antithesis of a virtuous state.

Failed behaviors lead to failure QED.

Have you fallen down and bumped your head again?
Because I believe that militant atheists are devoid of virtue?

So, let's review your embarrassing whining:

1) peolle freely exchanging ideas are "militant"

2) These people have no virtue

3) These people want to imprison all believers.

Damn this is embarrassingly stupid. Listen to yourself. Clearly is your virtue that should be suspect, considering your dishonesty, hyperbole, and plainly immoral behavior.

You mean like you're befuddled?
Karl Marx said it. What else do you agree with Karl about? Do you believe that organized religion is a scam?

What else are you confused about?
I didn't think you would answer the question.
I knew you didn't have a serious question.
Do you believe that organized religion is a scam? Yes or no?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

That's really a great observation.

Virtue can't be coerced. *Conformance* can be coerced, but in order for virtue to be exercised, there needs to be freedom of action with which to demonstrate one's virtue. There's a saying that "character is determined by what one does when no one is looking". The "no one looking" part is the important part – if no one is looking, you can get away with it, but what will you do? Merely following a set of rote commands because you feel forced or coerced to abide by the dogma - you are threatened with eternal punishment if you don't - isn't virtuous.

It's a paradox: virtue and character are only made manifest through choice and freedom. Pity that “dogma’tists” can’t seem to fathom this.

Virtue is a construct, and a fairly relative one at that. What is or is not virtue is ultimately decided by reason. And one may choose to be virtuous, but that one is not really consciously in control of that choice, as free will is an illusion. So whether or not one is virtuous can as dependent on what has happened to a person as it is on their genetics.
Why do you think that virtue is a construct and what makes you think it is a fairly recent one?

Not "fairly recent"...."fairly relative"

Virtue is a construct of the human mind, as is every other philosophical construct. This is self evident. I think you carry the burden to explain that it is not and why it is not, if this is what you are claiming.
And yet these are behaviors which have shown to naturally lead to success. Whereas societies which were devoid of virtue naturally lead to failure.

That's a vapid point, considering nearly every society in history has failed in one way or another.
Toynbee was pissed because one hadn't.

Every single communist state was a militant atheistic state and is the antithesis of a virtuous state.

Damn this is embarrassingly stupid. Listen to yourself. Clearly is your virtue that should be suspect, considering your dishonesty, hyperbole, and plainly immoral behavior.
That is your logical fallacy straw man, not mine.

Karl Marx said it. What else do you agree with Karl about? Do you believe that organized religion is a scam?

Really? Which one isn't?

I dont think you know what those words mean. Those things I listed were all said by you. Embarrassing, aren't they? You sound like a friggin idiot.

the queen of conjecture that has no spine calling out fallacies

thats sweet than a baby ruth

I dont think you know what those words mean. Those things I listed were all said by you. Embarrassing, aren't they? You sound like a friggin idiot.
No. They weren't all said by me.

Really? Which one isn't?

Stupid question. Even within a specific religion, there are scammers and "not scammers". So, I guess the proper answer to your question is "none aren't, completely".

Liar, they were.

if you don't believe in evolution, then you must believe a fully formed man just appeared/etc?
is this correct?

I've never completely understood the mutually exclusive thought process.

On one hand, if you believe that animals evolve, that somehow excludes that a greater being set that evolution in motion.

On the other hand, if you believe in creationism, somehow that excludes animal evolution?

They can go hand in hand.

What am I missing here?

Liar, they were.
Prove it. Shouldn't be hard if I'm lying, right?

Really? Which one isn't?

Stupid question. Even within a specific religion, there are scammers and "not scammers". So, I guess the proper answer to your question is "none aren't, completely".
You said religions were scammers. Which specific RELIGONS are scams?

Really? Which one isn't?

Every single one is a scam, and you're intellectually a lazy sloth that's a thousand yards of gullible

Really? Which one isn't?

Every single one is a scam, and you're intellectually a lazy sloth that's a thousand yards of gullible
Karl Marx thought the same thing.

You are in great company, don't you think?

Really? Which one isn't?

Would you like to abolish religion, GT?

Really? Which one isn't?

I dont have a karl marx locus of control like you do ~ so keep your dead buddies in your spank bank, dingerred

Really? Which one isn't?

Would you like to abolish religion, GT?
With speech and Ideas, and not force ~ I absolutely do, Dingerred

Really? Which one isn't?

I dont have a karl marx locus of control like you do ~ so keep your dead buddies in your spank bank, dingerred
But you agree with KarlMarx when it comes to religion, right GT?

Forum List

Back