If selling a gay couple a wedding cake means a "Christian" baker participated in the marriage...

It's so hard to be bazillionaire Lebron James in America!

Oh.Teh.Oppression!
This is ignorance. Even Lebron has experienced racism.

LeBron James: Racism is hidden but alive

Lots of people have experienced racism...James isn't special. In fact he's just a clueless loudmouth with a hilariously sad beard
No one said he was special. I just pointed out that you must be an idiot to say Lebron hasnt experienced racism.

Cept I never said he hasn't experienced it....dumbass
Not you specifically. Any idiot dumbass..

Ya fucked up...own it

Lots of people have experienced racism...James isn't special. In fact he's just a clueless loudmouth with a hilariously sad beard
No one said he was special. I just pointed out that you must be an idiot to say Lebron hasnt experienced racism.

Cept I never said he hasn't experienced it....dumbass
Not you specifically. Any idiot dumbass..

Ya fucked up...own it
I never fuck up. You just thought I didnt know you werent the one thats said it. I set you up and you fell for it as usual. :rolleyes:

Jeebus, you are dull. There is a vast difference between one's personal safety and forcing someone to perform labor for another against his will.

Really? Not seeing a difference. Kind of ought to be my choice if I buckle up...

On the other hand, if I go into a store after they promised a service, I'd better get that service.

Serving cake at parties and events hardly makes that event a "pagan ritual". The Romans served many things including wine, beer, bread, sea food, olive oil, etc. and none of those things a pagan ritual makes.

And that you think you know what Jesus would approve or disapprove of is hilarious.

Well, Jesus never existed, so there's that.

The point is, if you are going to argue that a cake is a sacred part of a ritual, you should really show me where your religion mandates it.

It doesn't. It's a pagan holdover like the Christmas Tree or Easter Eggs.

How dare you make a mockery of this pagan tradition we coopted..

Agreed. When I was first learning to drive, my parents' insurance company gave them a discount for me pledging to wear a seat belt. The market was already taking care of this issue before the government mandated seat belts.

And then the Insurance companies realized that the pledge wasn't doing it, and they were paying out too much money for personal injuries due to auto accidents, and they went to the State legislatures and demanded seat belt laws. So, yeah, I guess the market did take care of it.. They took that money and bought some politicians...

Now the gays are taking their money and they are buying politicians to get their way on things... sucks to be you guys.

Well actually there is a historical record of Jesus, so there is that. Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources
Sorry to shoot down your denial.

The point is, if you are going to argue that a cake is a sacred part of a ritual, you should really show me where your religion mandates it.
A wedding cake is an absolutely essential part of the wedding ceremony. I'm not sure it's "sacred" anymore than catching the wedding bouquet, the best man/maid of honor or any of the other traditional customs
of marriage.

Once again cake doesn't make a wedding ceremony a "pagan ritual". Perhaps it's time you put your straw man away.

Well actually there is a historical record of Jesus, so there is that. Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources
Sorry to shoot down your denial.

They are all crap. Here's the problem with that... all those "sources" were handed down by Christians who perserved some of the ancient writings... and we what we see are cases where they tried to shoe-horn Jesus into Josephus or Tacitus that doesn't even stand up to mild scrutiny.

A wedding cake is an absolutely essential part of the wedding ceremony. I'm not sure it's "sacred" anymore than catching the wedding bouquet, the best man/maid of honor or any of the other traditional customs
of marriage.

Actually, what you have are a lot of anachronisms. The father giving away the bride because the woman is property. Carrying the bride over the threshold because, again, she is property. Wearing white because she was supposed to be a virgin. What we have is kind of an ancient ritual full of patriarchal nonsense...

Once again cake doesn't make a wedding ceremony a "pagan ritual". Perhaps it's time you put your straw man away.

Naw, I've made my point. If we had a truly biblical wedding, we'd be stoning 90% of brides the first day of hte honeymoon because those bitches were totally not virgins.

Jeebus, you are dull. There is a vast difference between one's personal safety and forcing someone to perform labor for another against his will.

Really? Not seeing a difference. Kind of ought to be my choice if I buckle up...

On the other hand, if I go into a store after they promised a service, I'd better get that service.

Serving cake at parties and events hardly makes that event a "pagan ritual". The Romans served many things including wine, beer, bread, sea food, olive oil, etc. and none of those things a pagan ritual makes.

And that you think you know what Jesus would approve or disapprove of is hilarious.

Here's what you are refusing to see: you can do your own thing without forcing others to participate.

That's what freedom is.

EVERYONE has experienced some form of bigotry in their lives. Healthy people shrug it off; what other people think and do does not affect their self-esteem. People who obsess about it are just whiney bee-yatches.

And before the loons go into hysterics, I'm talking about opinions and thoughts, not the real oppression of things like slavery. Lebron is one of the most fortunate humans who have every lived. I'm not going to feel sorry for him. He's a grown man with a great deal of self-determination and the means to support it.
I didnt say bigotry dummy. I said racism.

Racism is a type of bigotry.

Please learn a proper vocabulary and stop the apostrophe abuse.
No dummy. Prejudice is a type of bigotry not racism. You can prefer Blacks to whites but that doesnt mean you think they are superior.

Preferring one race to another is the very essence of racism.

If the Christian baker made homo-inspired cakes for one protected class, and the Jewish deli owner made ham sandwiches for another, that would qualify as discriminatory.

Since neither makes all types of cakes and sandwiches for anybody regardless of protected status, they aren't discriminating against anyone.

They are all crap. Here's the problem with that... all those "sources" were handed down by Christians who perserved some of the ancient writings... and we what we see are cases where they tried to shoe-horn Jesus into Josephus or Tacitus that doesn't even stand up to mild scrutiny.
You have zero basis on which to ignore or discount historical references to Jesus of Nazareth except your own prejudices and displeasure at actually discovering something you'd rather not find. Not all that convincing.
Actually, what you have are a lot of anachronisms. The father giving away the bride because the woman is property. Carrying the bride over the threshold because, again, she is property. Wearing white because she was supposed to be a virgin. What we have is kind of an ancient ritual full of patriarchal nonsense...
Marriage is an ancient societal convention going back tens of thousands of years in all societies
of the world.
Not surprising there are anachronisms that have lost their original meanings that survived the centuries that we still enjoy
and take part in today. Despite your carping and negativity it is women, ironically, who still relish the idea of marriage along with all the silly traditions and "patriarchal" nonsense.
I don't know what to tell you. Don't get married if you find the idea objectionable. No one is forcing you.
Naw, I've made my point. If we had a truly biblical wedding, we'd be stoning 90% of brides the first day of hte honeymoon because those bitches were totally not virgins.
Yeah, but that's what makes your point so silly: We don't have Old Testament style marriages or societies anymore and haven't for quite some time. Perhaps you should look around.

And yet even atheist or agnostics can have strong moral objections to being forced to participate in a ritual that celebrates a contract whose terms banish children from a mother or father for life.

It seems as if some here are just focusing on Christian morals? Anyone want to take a stab at calling Islam & Muhammad hogwash? :popcorn:

It’s about rejecting rituals, not people.

The key is the customer informing the merchant of the ritual intended. Once informed, the merchant’s personal morals become involved (and are protected).

Here's what you are refusing to see: you can do your own thing without forcing others to participate.

That's what freedom is.

And you are perfectly free to NOT own a bakery. But once you own a bakery, you have to follow all the commerce laws that have been put into place.

This is really not complicated. Tell you what, why don't you go to a bakery where the owner has decided the Health Codes are a violation of his religious "Freedom". That should be amusing.

Gun nut =/= gun industry. I thought you knew that. I see no support in what you said.

Except the gun nuts are the primacy customers of the gun industry. They'd go broke catering to the gun owner who only takes out his gun once a year for target practice... Nope, they got to pander to the gun nut, the guy who arms himself like the Zombies are a-comin', and probably wouldn't pass a test that involved measuring their mental health.

And yet even atheist or agnostics can have strong moral objections to being forced to participate in a ritual that celebrates a contract whose terms banish children from a mother or father for life.

It seems as if some here are just focusing on Christian morals? Anyone want to take a stab at calling Islam & Muhammad hogwash?

Muslim owned businesses aren't the ones fighting the PA Laws. That would be Christians.

And, no, if you have a homophobic atheist, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It’s about rejecting rituals, not people.

The key is the customer informing the merchant of the ritual intended. Once informed, the merchant’s personal morals become involved (and are protected).

Then where do you draw the line? If we start granting carte blanche to ignore PA Laws- or any laws for that matter - based on the sincerely held beliefs of hateful Christians, where do you stop?

Hey, can we ignore the child abuse laws based on "Spare the rod, spoil the child?" How about allowing honor killings based on biblical and Koranic teaching?

the Christian Baker has a remedy if they really don't want to participate in a "ritual" due to "morals'. Don't be in that line of work.

And you are perfectly free to NOT own a bakery. But once you own a bakery, you have to follow all the commerce laws that have been put into place.

This is really not complicated. Tell you what, why don't you go to a bakery where the owner has decided the Health Codes are a violation of his religious "Freedom". That should be amusing.

Ok you clearly have not read the last USSC Opinion on that. They said a man can’t be made to choose between his faith & his trade. That’s interfering with his Constitutional rights. You have already lost on that angle so you may now retire it. Try again.

Killing people with tainted food interferes with their rights to life. See how easy this is?

Forum List

Back