If Sleep Deprivation is now to be known as torture, what is cutting off fingers and the like?

We used to feel that treating prisoners humanely and even kindly was the best way to instill in them a feeling that we were the "good guys" but thanks to our polices enacted after 9/11 anyone in our custody got nothing but confirmation of their indoctrination that we are evil. I say this not because I feel terrorists deserve much kindness but because I liked the idea that we were good and honorable people and not even the worst enemy could change that.

We used to feel that treating prisoners humanely and even kindly was the best way to instill in them a feeling that we were the "good guys" but thanks to our polices enacted after 9/11 anyone in our custody got nothing but confirmation of their indoctrination that we are evil. I say this not because I feel terrorists deserve much kindness but because I liked the idea that we were good and honorable people and not even the worst enemy could change that.
Islamic terrorists proved that being nice is percevied as a form of weakness. They respect strength and resolve. They have contempt for weakness.

Islamic terrorists proved that being nice is percevied as a form of weakness. They respect strength and resolve. They have contempt for weakness.
That has worked out really well hasn't it? There are more islamic terrorist now then there have ever been and Gitmo, Abu Gharib and our torture program has clearly been a valuable recruitment tool.

I find it curious

In the movie Stalag 17, the evil Nazis torture an American pilot by forcing him to stand and not be allowed to sleep. Such treatment of an American seemed outrageous

Now we have conservatives squealing....what's a little sleep?
Proving that liberals' word view is shaped by movies and works of fiction.
Conservatives' world view is shaped by facts and history.
Post WWII America was shocked that Nazis would use such techniques against Americans.......Fucking Nazis
Post 9-11 Republicans use the same techniques.......Fucking Republicans
Post Obama America is shocked by the Gruber tapes.
Fucking Democrats.
Another example of rightwing ineptness when it comes to equivalencies

Torture now equates to a bureaucrat shooting his mout off
It's tit for tat. If Japanese torture of Americans by stuffing them with water and jumping on them is equated to putting a wet cloth over people's mouths then that is true moral equivalence.
Sucks, dontit?
Swing and a miss by the Rabbi

Totally unrelated to what I posted

That has worked out really well hasn't it? There are more islamic terrorist now then there have ever been and Gitmo, Abu Gharib and our torture program has clearly been a valuable recruitment tool.
How many attacks have we suffered since we started that?
Yeah. Your point blows.

Proving that liberals' word view is shaped by movies and works of fiction.
Conservatives' world view is shaped by facts and history.
Post WWII America was shocked that Nazis would use such techniques against Americans.......Fucking Nazis
Fucking Democrats.

It's tit for tat. If Japanese torture of Americans by stuffing them with water and jumping on them is equated to putting a wet cloth over people's mouths then that is true moral equivalence.
Sucks, dontit?

Absolutely the same. It's all about the meaning of words.

Fucking Democrats.

Sucks, dontit?

And Rabbi once again ducks the issue

Strike TWO

Yeah. Your point blows.
Your attitude blows. We have not been attacked because we had to trade our privacy for security and accept a vast homeland security/NSA domestic spying network in our country but that's another topic where republicans fucked us.

Fucking Democrats.

Sucks, dontit?

Strike TWO
See my sig line.

As Americans look for a humane way to execute people others look for a humane way to torture. We need a torture that, when done, the torturees do not know they have been tortured. Perhaps some political speeches or movies would work?

We need to find out what it is that gets the RWnuts programmed to think the way they do, and use that.

Yeah. Your point blows.
Your attitude blows. We have not been attacked because we had to trade our privacy for security and accept a vast homeland security/NSA domestic spying network in our country but that's another topic where republicans fucked us.
First off that isnt true.
Second, remind me how Democrats ended USAPATRIOT and reined in the NSA.
Oh wait, they didnt. They voted to extend and expand PATRIOT. They used the NSA to spy on more and more Americans. They took NSA data and used it to flip elections.
Yeah, Democrats fucked you and you want more because you kinda enjoy it.

As Americans look for a humane way to execute people others look for a humane way to torture. We need a torture that, when done, the torturees do not know they have been tortured. Perhaps some political speeches or movies would work?

We need to find out what it is that gets the RWnuts programmed to think the way they do, and use that.
It's called "facts" and "logic". Foreign concepts to you, whose world view is shaped by comics, fiction, and Rachel Maddow.

Sucks, dontit?

Strike TWO
See my sig line.
Takes a called third strike and sulks back to the dugout

Most of us learned in kindergarten that you can't make people like you. But it seems you Leftists and Branch Paulinians are stuck on this idea that we can make our enemies like us if we're nice. You look foolish, not even having achieved the basic life lessons the rest of us learned before puberty.

"If Sleep Deprivation is now to be known as torture, what is cutting off fingers and the like?"

Sleep deprivation has always been torture, along with water boarding – you and others on the right are only questioning it now in an effort to deflect from the Senate report reflecting poorly on republican officials and a republican president, under whose administration torture occurred, including sleep deprivation.

And that one type of torture is more extreme and violent than another doesn't mitigate the fact that the act in question is indeed torture.

What's even more reprehensible than your failed effort to deflect is your effort to portray some manifestations of torture as somehow 'acceptable,' where this criminal practice should continue to be used.

The enemy probably does not care if their own have a lot of sleepless nights, but waterboarding which brings them to the point of death, for sure they care about.

Or... you could get a demonstration of stressed induced discomfort. Where you'll be forced to stand for 150 continuous hour, while nude... in a very hot room, on top of several other cretins... while wearing a dog collar.

If that is your idea of sleep deprivation, that is a whole 'nother story. Tapping someone lightly on the head continuously for 24 hours is more than just sleep deprivation.

I find it curious

In the movie Stalag 17, the evil Nazis torture an American pilot by forcing him to stand and not be allowed to sleep. Such treatment of an American seemed outrageous

Now we have conservatives squealing....what's a little sleep?

You can prevent them from sleeping without forcing them to stand or other inevitably excruciating painful technique. I support the "humane" kind of sleep deprivation.

If we're going to call 'stress' torture, we're going to need a new word to convey what we used to call torture.

Because they're not the same...

Which means that we can't use stress to convey discomfort... so what word should be used to convey THAT?

Seems that once again, allowing the intellectually less fortunate to speak, causes chaos... .

Are we sure that this is a good idea?

I think Obamas administration has decided Interrogation is Torture. We just bypass that dirty little step and Kill the suspects now, no prisoners.

Or... you could get a demonstration of stressed induced discomfort. Where you'll be forced to stand for 150 continuous hour, while nude... in a very hot room, on top of several other cretins... while wearing a dog collar.

If that is your idea of sleep deprivation, that is a whole 'nother story. Tapping someone lightly on the head continuously for 24 hours is more than just sleep deprivation.

Not really...

Forum List

Back