If you don't want guns don't buy them?

[

There is no rational reason for citizens of the US to have 300 million guns. None. .

You are wrong.

The Bill of Rights lays out the rational reason very nicely.

"Being necessary for the security of a free state".

It is in the Constitution. Go read it.

If you think Europe is better then move there. Stop screwing around with our Liberties in the US. It just makes you look like an ass.

Skull Pilot said "If you don't want a gun don't buy one" yet that is so beside the point

first, who says there aren't guns in my home?

second, that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them... the nutters, the criminals, the spouse abusers, pedophiles...

most normal people understand the need to restrict gun ownership in those cases.

Where have I ever said convicted felons should have guns?

And you tell me how to stop wackos from getting guns

In fact I'm the only one here who has actually proposed a workable plan

Automatic life in prison without parole for any crime committed while possessing a firearm

That's how you stop gun crimes

i think keeping criminals and wackos from getting guns is a function of compiling readily accessible information. you might not like that, but fact is, it's pretty much the only way.... then making that information mandatory for sellers of guns to check in a national database. a waiting period after buying guns, if necessary, to get a full picture might also be appropriate.

the point is, that instead of people fighting against controls, perhaps it would be better if we dumped the NRA BS and work together to protect our society from the kinds of mass shooting we've been experiencing.

for the record, i think the participation of people who respect and understand guns is very important in achieving effective gun laws. I know how stupid some of the provisions of the AWB were and what the criteria were for defining automatic weapons making that law not only ineffective but absurd.

we can do better. we are the only civilized society that faces these problems with such regularity.

So how do you know if a person is mentally ill if there is no record of it?

And what do you propose that medical records be made public?

DId you ever think that maybe it's us and not the guns?

Americans are a violent breed

well, I suppose you can just say americans are a bunch of violent jerks. but I think that comes, at least in part, from our gun culture.

i'm not proposing making medical records public except that, like anything else that requires some type of clearance, if you don't want to release yoru records, then no license... no license no gun.

How about we require people to prove they are mentally stable, have good character and are up on the issues to get a license to vote? How many other constitutional rights would you like to license?

yeah....

no. it isn't. or those laws would have been struck down.

see how that works?
They would need to be challenged first. Recall that DC's ban on guns existed for over 20 years.
We'll add "law" to things you dont know much about.

and yet the moron claims to be a lawyer.

I claim nothing. I state what I am.

i'm sorry you're not smart enough to understand our legal system marty. I tried to be as nice about it as I could.

but, really, you're ignorant on this issue as you are on the issue of marriage.

but there's no cure for stupid, so i'll stop treating you like you're a thinking human being.
Thats funny. You have proven many times you have no idea what the legal system is or what being a lawyer is about. Im more inclined to think RDean is a lawyer than you.

that's funny coming from a braindead angry misogynist wingnut who hates this country.

Seems to me, it's you who is bashing the majority of the country.

Be safe for the holidays

...buy more guns and ammo...

because shoot outs are so much safer than mass shootings by one person.

:cuckoo:
Yes. A mass shooter who is stopped by someone with a gun hasnt shot as many people as he could.
This is proven over and over.
Ask the people in Paris if they would have wanted members of the audience to be armed or were they happier being shot like cattle by terrorists.

"Armed Citizens Deter Terrorist Attacks In Detroit, Police Chief Says
DETROIT (CBS Detroit)More guns, fewer problems. That, at least, is Detroit Police Chief’s James Craig’s view of Detroit and fears about a possible terrorist attack.

While cities around the world are on heightened alert following a devastating ISIS attack in Paris, Detroit’s police chief says he believes the fear that armed citizens would return fire serves as a deterrent for a potential terrorist attack in the rust belt city."
Armed Citizens Deter Terrorist Attacks In Detroit, Police Chief Says

I will agree with this. Now, I ask how you plan to go about doing that.

As I stated earlier in the thread, there are already laws in place to prevent all those folks from getting guns, how's that working for ya?

people on the right keep saying that. obviously if the loopholes we're talking about don't exist (which they do) and if background checks were universal (which they aren't) then we need to punch up the laws.

btw, two of the weapons used in yesterday's mass shooting (of which we have had more this year than there are days in the year) were purchased legally.

funny I don't even hear the islamophobes demanding background checks for people on the no fly list.
Amazing you're back here for more abuse.
There are no loopholes.
CA already has universal background checks. As you point out, the shooters bought their guns legally, as is the case most times.
What laws would prevent law abiding citizens from buying guns?

Licensing, registration and an accounting of the number of rounds sold. A simple process, any gun in the possession of an unlicensed person become a felony, a felony for the person possessing the weapon, and a felony and loss of the license (which requires all of the sellers other guns to be destroyed).

Thus, without a FFL any sale of a gun becomes a felony, and any sale by a holder of a FFL who sells a gun or ammo to an unlicensed person becomes a felony with a mandatory prison sentence.

How about those apples. This is what the NRA and its supporters will face, for a nation which experiences gun violence on the scale we are having, will eventually awaken and take these or more draconian action.

Some day people of good will will occupy The Congress, and actually put Country First. Some day the Supreme Court will understand the Second Amendment is a problem and needs to be reigned in for the US to become a civilized place to live.

Better idea, how about you move your ass to N. Korea, they already have that bullshit. Send us a post card and tell us how fucking great it is.

Actually you have more in common with Kim Un Kook and N. Korea - you seek to silence any discussion on gun control, a sure sign of an authoritarian personality.

There are no loopholes.

CA already has universal background checks. As you point out, the shooters bought their guns legally, as is the case most times.

"There are no loopholes."

wrong again..

When Zina Haughton, 42, got a restraining order against her husband, Radcliffe, last October — she told a court that his threats “terrorize my every waking moment” — he became ineligible to buy a gun under federal law. But he found a way around that: he bought a gun from a private seller he found on the Internet who, unlike federally licensed dealers, was not legally required to check his background.

That is how Mr. Haughton was able to buy a handgun for $500 in the parking lot of a McDonalds that he took with him on Oct. 21 to the spa in a suburb of Milwaukee where his wife worked. There, Mr. Haughton opened fire at the spa’s pedicure station, law enforcement officials said, and kept shooting until he had killed his wife and two women she worked with and injured four other women. He then killed himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/us/gun-law-loopholes-let-buyers-skirt-background-checks.html?_r=0

As I stated earlier in the thread, there are already laws in place to prevent all those folks from getting guns, how's that working for ya?

people on the right keep saying that. obviously if the loopholes we're talking about don't exist (which they do) and if background checks were universal (which they aren't) then we need to punch up the laws.

btw, two of the weapons used in yesterday's mass shooting (of which we have had more this year than there are days in the year) were purchased legally.

funny I don't even hear the islamophobes demanding background checks for people on the no fly list.
There are no loopholes.

Licensing, registration and an accounting of the number of rounds sold. A simple process, any gun in the possession of an unlicensed person become a felony, a felony for the person possessing the weapon, and a felony and loss of the license (which requires all of the sellers other guns to be destroyed).

Thus, without a FFL any sale of a gun becomes a felony, and any sale by a holder of a FFL who sells a gun or ammo to an unlicensed person becomes a felony with a mandatory prison sentence.

How about those apples. This is what the NRA and its supporters will face, for a nation which experiences gun violence on the scale we are having, will eventually awaken and take these or more draconian action.

Some day people of good will will occupy The Congress, and actually put Country First. Some day the Supreme Court will understand the Second Amendment is a problem and needs to be reigned in for the US to become a civilized place to live.

Better idea, how about you move your ass to N. Korea, they already have that bullshit. Send us a post card and tell us how fucking great it is.

Actually you have more in common with Kim Un Kook and N. Korea - you seek to silence any discussion on gun control, a sure sign of an authoritarian personality.
I dont see anyone trying to silence discussion. Except Obam on climate change. And libs on college campuses.
As for this, you are the one in favor of restricting or eliminating rights for people. Hitler, Stalin, and Mao would all approve your gun control proposals.

They would need to be challenged first. Recall that DC's ban on guns existed for over 20 years.
We'll add "law" to things you dont know much about.

i'm sorry you're not smart enough to understand our legal system marty. I tried to be as nice about it as I could.

but there's no cure for stupid, so i'll stop treating you like you're a thinking human being.
Thats funny. You have proven many times you have no idea what the legal system is or what being a lawyer is about. Im more inclined to think RDean is a lawyer than you.

that's funny coming from a braindead angry misogynist wingnut who hates this country.

aside from the fact I find defending the loser incomprehensible, i'm not bashing anyone. i'm responding to being bashed.

as to our particular conversation, the majority of this country wants guns out of the hands of criminals and nutters and we're tired of hearing NRA talking points about how regulation is inappropriate. there is nothing in heller or any other case or in the constitution that says you can't regulate gun ownership. period.

There are no loopholes.

Talk all you want, every time you do, you demonstrate your total lack of understanding of our constitutional system. I enjoy the entertainment. That's all you are.

Skull Pilot said "If you don't want a gun don't buy one" yet that is so beside the point

first, who says there aren't guns in my home?

second, that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them... the nutters, the criminals, the spouse abusers, pedophiles...

most normal people understand the need to restrict gun ownership in those cases.

Automatic life in prison without parole for any crime committed while possessing a firearm

i think keeping criminals and wackos from getting guns is a function of compiling readily accessible information. you might not like that, but fact is, it's pretty much the only way.... then making that information mandatory for sellers of guns to check in a national database. a waiting period after buying guns, if necessary, to get a full picture might also be appropriate.

the point is, that instead of people fighting against controls, perhaps it would be better if we dumped the NRA BS and work together to protect our society from the kinds of mass shooting we've been experiencing.

for the record, i think the participation of people who respect and understand guns is very important in achieving effective gun laws. I know how stupid some of the provisions of the AWB were and what the criteria were for defining automatic weapons making that law not only ineffective but absurd.

we can do better. we are the only civilized society that faces these problems with such regularity.

well, I suppose you can just say americans are a bunch of violent jerks. but I think that comes, at least in part, from our gun culture.

i'm not proposing making medical records public except that, like anything else that requires some type of clearance, if you don't want to release yoru records, then no license... no license no gun.

How about we require people to prove they are mentally stable, have good character and are up on the issues to get a license to vote? How many other constitutional rights would you like to license?

thanks for your "input".

and this is why there were more mass shootings in this country this year than there are days of the year.

There are no loopholes.

Talk all you want, every time you do, you demonstrate your total lack of understanding of our constitutional system. I enjoy the entertainment. That's all you are.

really? ok... show me where in heller even the winger scalia said there can't be regulation. because I can show you where he said you can.

but thank you for reminding me that rightwingnuts can't ever engage in discussion. I was hopeful for a moment.

aside from the fact I find defending the loser incomprehensible, i'm not bashing anyone. i'm responding to being bashed.

as to our particular conversation, the majority of this country wants guns out of the hands of criminals and nutters and we're tired of hearing NRA talking points about how regulation is inappropriate. there is nothing in heller or any other case or in the constitution that says you can't regulate gun ownership. period.

Typical regressive response, our current laws are so complex they can't be properly enforced and your response is more laws, more complexity, then when that doesn't work you'll go for bans. The rational response would be arguing for better enforcement of current laws, there are already enough, maybe too many, to address it all.

There are no loopholes.

That will do exactly nothing to stop any gun violence.
CA has licensing and registration. We have tried registering ammunition. Didnt work. Thats why we dont do itanymore. A person with a felony is already committing a felony by having a gun. CA already has universal background checks.
The shooters here bought their guns legally because they were law abiding people. At least until they werent.
So your suggestions have been tried and found to be worthless. Their sole aim seems to be sticking it to legal gun owners, not cutting down on crime.

You read and can't comprehend. I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to believe your dense comments are not contrived. Of course you are dishonest, but maybe you even fool yourself.

People obey laws because they support them, or because they fear the consequences if they get caught.

Thus, a gun lover like you, would likely obey gun laws rather than risk the loss of them, the fines associated with not obeying the law and the possible jail or prison sentence.

Thus, licensing, registration and an accounting of the number of rounds of ammo purchased logged onto a national data base, with algorithms seeking anomalies associated with mass murderers and those on no fly lists, tied to FBI, State and Local Arrest records, including civil detentions for being a danger to themselves or others, has a good chance in saving lives and respecting a law abiding citizen's right to own, possess or have in his custody and control firearm.

Congress outlawed such national databases decades ago, knowing they would be used improperly. I don't see them changing that.

How would such a database be used "improperly"? [I'm fascinated by conspiracy theorists and the paranoia they espouse]. Americans give up more personal data on the Internet and to banks and insurance companies than they will be getting a license to own a gun or registering their weapons.

thanks for your "input".

and this is why there were more mass shootings in this country this year than there are days of the year.

:link: or :anj_stfu:

There are no loopholes.

really? ok... show me where in heller even the winger scalia said there can't be regulation. because I can show you where he said you can.

but thank you for reminding me that rightwingnuts can't ever engage in discussion. I was hopeful for a moment.

What exactly does that have to do with what I said to another poster? Once you do that we can discuss what ever you want.

[

There is no rational reason for citizens of the US to have 300 million guns. None. .

You are wrong.

The Bill of Rights lays out the rational reason very nicely.

"Being necessary for the security of a free state".

It is in the Constitution. Go read it.

If you think Europe is better then move there. Stop screwing around with our Liberties in the US. It just makes you look like an ass.

You're almost right, a well regulated Militia is necessary for a free State, and the Militia is defined in Art. I, sec 8, clause 15 & 16. If The People were the object of the sentence, infringing the right to arm of all citizens (the insane, persons in prison and jails, etc.).would not be tolerated by a non biased USSC.

Hint: We dont give a shit what "the majority" of the country wants. And thats wrong anyway. Clearly the majority does not want gun control because gun control has been a loser at the ballot for 20 years.

There are no loopholes.

That will do exactly nothing to stop any gun violence.
CA has licensing and registration. We have tried registering ammunition. Didnt work. Thats why we dont do itanymore. A person with a felony is already committing a felony by having a gun. CA already has universal background checks.
The shooters here bought their guns legally because they were law abiding people. At least until they werent.
So your suggestions have been tried and found to be worthless. Their sole aim seems to be sticking it to legal gun owners, not cutting down on crime.

You read and can't comprehend. I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to believe your dense comments are not contrived. Of course you are dishonest, but maybe you even fool yourself.

People obey laws because they support them, or because they fear the consequences if they get caught.

Thus, a gun lover like you, would likely obey gun laws rather than risk the loss of them, the fines associated with not obeying the law and the possible jail or prison sentence.

Thus, licensing, registration and an accounting of the number of rounds of ammo purchased logged onto a national data base, with algorithms seeking anomalies associated with mass murderers and those on no fly lists, tied to FBI, State and Local Arrest records, including civil detentions for being a danger to themselves or others, has a good chance in saving lives and respecting a law abiding citizen's right to own, possess or have in his custody and control firearm.

Congress outlawed such national databases decades ago, knowing they would be used improperly. I don't see them changing that.

How would such a database be used "improperly"? [I'm fascinated by conspiracy theorists and the paranoia they espouse]. Americans give up more personal data on the Internet and to banks and insurance companies than they will be getting a license to own a gun or registering their weapons.

First, the court said you can't hold not registering by a felon against them, because it's a violation of the 5th amendment. So no such database can ever be complete and it would violate the equal protection in the 14th amendment because criminals wouldn't be held to the same standards as the law abiding. They also violate the 4th amendment, the government would be demanding personal information without probable cause to do so. I could go on, but I seriously doubt you have the capacity to understand the points I've already laid out.

Forum List

Back