If you don't want guns don't buy them?

Skull Pilot said "If you don't want a gun don't buy one" yet that is so beside the point

first, who says there aren't guns in my home?

second, that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them... the nutters, the criminals, the spouse abusers, pedophiles...

most normal people understand the need to restrict gun ownership in those cases.

It is illegal for felons, persons convicted of spousal abuse and those declared mentally unstable to posses guns.

What is your suggestion as to how to keep these people from acquiring a firearm?

i'd start with making sure the laws are unform across the country so runners can't bring weapons from south Carolina into new York.

i'd make sure the gunshow loophole is closes, as well as prohibiting transfers between private citizens without background checks and registration.

even scalia said only a total ban is impermissible and left the door open for appropriate regulation.

but you tell me, how do you keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them? (without throwing up your hands and saying only criminals will disobey the law... because that's true about laws against murder, too, it doesn't mean we don't legislate against murder).
There is no loop hole. Any licensed dealer selling at a Gun show MUST do a background check. Only Bubba and his cousin don't and there are not that many Bubba's that can afford a 20 to 40 dollar table at a gun show to sell grandpas old shootin iron.

@skullpilot said "If you don't want a gun don't buy one" yet that is so beside the point

second, that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them... the nutters, the criminals, the spouse abusers, pedophiles...

most normal people understand the need t restrict gun ownership in those cases.

The problem is who gets to decide who gets a gun and who doesn't? How do you plan to keep guns away from criminals? Pass a law? Criminals always obey laws right?

I already said... criminal history... mental illness as a start. isn't that an objective standard?

If they are decided in court, and not just using the word of some anti-gun doctor or an arbitrary decision by some bureaucrat.

I already said... criminal history... mental illness as a start. isn't that an objective standard?

We already have that, it's called background checks. Who decides what is mental illness? Liberalism is a mental
Illness, should we not let them have guns?

really? if you sell a gun to your neighbor there's a background check?

that would be "no".

if you buy a gun at a gun show in Tennessee, there are background checks?

that would be a "no".

and the problem is, those guns then infect our society. i'll point out that most mass shootings are done with legal weapons. so we're doing something wrong.

it's funny... this is the only area in which the rightwing says not to legislate yet you all are perfectly happy to obstruct my rights in every possible way.
which ones were with legal guns?

i'm pretty sure the answer is all of them... from Dylan klebold to dylann roof (maybe we shouldn't name kids Dylan) to Aurora to this lowlife who just committed the terror attack on the planned parenthood in Colorado.
All of them obtained their weapons legally?

go check.. feel free.

Skull Pilot said "If you don't want a gun don't buy one" yet that is so beside the point

most normal people understand the need to restrict gun ownership in those cases.

It is illegal for felons, persons convicted of spousal abuse and those declared mentally unstable to posses guns.

What is your suggestion as to how to keep these people from acquiring a firearm?

i'd start with making sure the laws are unform across the country so runners can't bring weapons from south Carolina into new York.

i'd make sure the gunshow loophole is closes, as well as prohibiting transfers between private citizens without background checks and registration.

even scalia said only a total ban is impermissible and left the door open for appropriate regulation.

but you tell me, how do you keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them? (without throwing up your hands and saying only criminals will disobey the law... because that's true about laws against murder, too, it doesn't mean we don't legislate against murder).
There is no loop hole. Any licensed dealer selling at a Gun show MUST do a background check. Only Bubba and his cousin don't and there are not that many Bubba's that can afford a 20 to 40 dollar table at a gun show to sell grandpas old shootin iron.

licensed dealer....

if someone who isn't a licensed dealer, he has no such obligation.

and there is no universal syatem to background check people at gun shows near as I can tell.

@skullpilot said "If you don't want a gun don't buy one" yet that is so beside the point

The problem is who gets to decide who gets a gun and who doesn't? How do you plan to keep guns away from criminals? Pass a law? Criminals always obey laws right?

If they are decided in court, and not just using the word of some anti-gun doctor or an arbitrary decision by some bureaucrat.

do you think judges are more equipped than doctors to make medical judgments? i'd think not. and they'd be just as likely to have their own opinions. and I certainly wouldn't want some NRA shill making those decisions.

so again, what's the appropriate answer? solve the problem since I think we can all agree that people who shouldn't have guns get them.

What we don't understand is why all the methods you propose to achieve that actually only end up making it harder for law abiding people to get, possess and use firearms.

And except for shock value, I don;t know why you bring up pedo's, there isn't a rash of gun toting kid touchers running around, that we know of.

honestly? I don't care if it's "harder" for you. there is nothing saying that it shouldn't be a bit "harder"

What is it about "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

I started a whole thread asking you leftist nutters how exactly you accomplish that, and hundreds of pages later none of you had any idea. So what is the point in an empty statement. It's like saying we'd all be better off if we all cared about our fellow man. True, but so what since it's not going to happen?

licensed dealer....

if someone who isn't a licensed dealer, he has no such obligation.

and there is no universal syatem to background check people at gun shows near as I can tell.
Cops and The ATF go to gun shows, they watch for unlicensed sellers and if someone has a large number of firearms to sell they investigate them. That is called police work. There are FEW unlicensed dealers at gun shows you see one must PAY for the table and if Bubba wants to sell his shootin iron it is cheaper to use the paper.

The sad fact is, no law will prevent those types of people from acquiring a gun and you are living in a dream world to think otherwise.

What I want to know is how does banning me from getting a CCW, and making me pay $1000 and take 3 months to get a gun permit just for home ownership prevent someone else from using a gun illegally?

do you think judges are more equipped than doctors to make medical judgments? i'd think not. and they'd be just as likely to have their own opinions. and I certainly wouldn't want some NRA shill making those decisions.

so again, what's the appropriate answer? solve the problem since I think we can all agree that people who shouldn't have guns get them.

Do you think law school students can make better decisions than economists? Yes, you do

What we don't understand is why all the methods you propose to achieve that actually only end up making it harder for law abiding people to get, possess and use firearms.

And except for shock value, I don;t know why you bring up pedo's, there isn't a rash of gun toting kid touchers running around, that we know of.

honestly? I don't care if it's "harder" for you. there is nothing saying that it shouldn't be a bit "harder"

there is nothing about it that says reasonable regulation is inappropriate. go back and read heller. scalia was very clear about that.

every right gets infringed in certain instances when the governmental interest exceeds the interest of the individual. that occurs even under the first, fourth and fifth amendments. so why should the second be more sacrosanct than the first?

We already have that, it's called background checks. Who decides what is mental illness? Liberalism is a mental

that would be "no".

that would be a "no".

and the problem is, those guns then infect our society. i'll point out that most mass shootings are done with legal weapons. so we're doing something wrong.

it's funny... this is the only area in which the rightwing says not to legislate yet you all are perfectly happy to obstruct my rights in every possible way.

i'm pretty sure the answer is all of them... from Dylan klebold to dylann roof (maybe we shouldn't name kids Dylan) to Aurora to this lowlife who just committed the terror attack on the planned parenthood in Colorado.
klebold was an illegal strawman purchase
roof - (supposedly)when he bought his, he was awaiting trial for a felony. The gun dealer would have had to run a background check, and that would show up, right? Or his dad gave it to him. Which is probably legal
Holmes was legal
IDK about PP guy

What I want to know is how does banning me from getting a CCW, and making me pay $1000 and take 3 months to get a gun permit just for home ownership prevent someone else from using a gun illegally?

stop using the word "banned". that is hyperbole. unless you have a criminal record or mental illness, no one is talking about "banning" anything.

control yourself, marty.

Actual Counselor the LAW is that to be judged mentally incompetent one MUST be so declared BY A JUDGE. You see there are Judges just for that and guess what? they have the court get expert testimony from, gasp, Doctors and therapists.

Freedom is free
Said no one. Ever.

that would be "no".

that would be a "no".

klebold was an illegal strawman purchase
roof - (supposedly)when he bought his, he was awaiting trial for a felony. The gun dealer would have had to run a background check, and that would show up, right? Or his dad gave it to him. Which is probably legal
Holmes was legal
IDK about PP guy

as far as I know that isn't correct.

but let's say it is... why did dylann roof have a gun?

why did klebold have a gun?

why was the mother of the loony toon in Connecticut allowed to keep guns in her home when her son was clearly mentally ill?

let's start there?

Actual Counselor the LAW is that to be judged mentally incompetent one MUST be so declared BY A JUDGE. You see there are Judges just for that and guess what? they have the court get expert testimony from, gasp, Doctors and therapists.

we're not talking about "judged mentally incompetent". most people with mental illness never go through any court process. did you?

Freedom is free
Said no one. Ever.

not interested. seriously. unfettered gun ownership is no one's right. and your freedom ends at the tip of my nose

but you tell me, how do you keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them?

Only one way.

Take them away from everyone.

(Hope whoever tries that has a magic wand)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back