If you were locked in a cell without food and water, would drinking someone else's blood prolong

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
If you were locked in a cell with no food or water, would drinking bags of someone else's blood enable you to survive longer or would it hasten your demise assuming the blood donors were properly screened for infectious diseases?

If you were locked in a cell with no food or water, would drinking bags of someone else's blood enable you to survive longer or would it hasten your demise assuming the blood donors were properly screened for infectious diseases?

Blood is salty so it will hasten your demise. Not by much in the overall scheme of things, but shorter your time will be.

I don't know with certainty whether, as goes your question, the salt content of blood would outstrip the value of consuming it and the liquid in which that salt is suspended. That effect is why drinking salt water while stranded at sea will not satisfy one's fluid intake needs.

I know that the salt content in sea water is about 3.5%, whereas the salt content of human blood is 0.9%. Whether 0.9% is a salt concentration that is as dangerous to human viability as is a 3.5% concentration is not something I know.

Drinking a bag of blood would likely make you puke and dehydrate faster.

I don't know if the salt content would dehydrate you or not. But the protein in the blood would be sustenance.

Forum List

Back