IL bans self service gas?

Just checked gas prices along the Wisconsin / Illinois state line. Gas ranges from 20 to 40 cents a gallon higher in Illinois. I believe they just had a big gas tax increase in IL, and this would probably drive prices higher.

I don’t think you can pump your own gas in Oregon....

You can in the most rural parts of the state but yes for the most part you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. I personally wish the law would get removed though or at least give people the option statewide to self pump or have the attendant do it. It's nice if it's raining or cold to not have to get our of my car but sometimes it would be easier to just do it myself.

Once it's allowed, almost all gas stations will switch to self serve because it lowers wage costs and increases profits. But self-serve stations get robbed a lot and they're easy targets, especially late night stations. One employee, alone, late at night, with lots of cash. Easy peasy.
Lots of cash? Where do you live, 1990?

Lots of people pay cash. Especially poor people who can't get credit, or bank accounts. I lived in a mixed neighbour in a big city, and every week a local gas station would be robbed. People don't use credit cards or debit cards in big city gas stations because those places have the highest rates of identity theft, or theft of credit card numbers. Police recommend that you don't give the clown who runs discount gas stations your cards. Theft is endemic.
I just went three solid years without a debit or credit card, because I was so worried about the things you and others here are warning about. Cash only. Very nearly had to sleep in my car when I went to a two day symposium in Augusta for work and the reservation for our rooms hadn't gone through and the hotel was not going to let an old lady teacher have a room because I didn't have a debit card. I had the cash in my hand, waving it under their nose, and they didn't want it.

So anyway, I finally caved and asked my bank to send me a debit/check card again a month or so ago because living in such a rural area where even WalMart is 50 miles away makes ordering online almost a necessity unless I want to drive an hour up and an hour back to get a new pack of socks. Or a pack of hem tape.

I'll be very careful about gas stations though if I leave town. My business of choice is a gas/convenience store/lunch counter business on the way to work that I'm sure is safe. Sadly, a few months ago they had to go to prepay cash which is such a pain in the ass it was part of the reason I got a card again.

I went to the drive-thru at my McDonald's last summer, and the first thing out of the order panel speaker was "Our credit card machine is down, cash only." I was wondering why all those people in front of me and went right past the cashier window. It was great because I always carry cash. Normally our McDonald's is packed, but I drove up to those two windows with not a car in front of me.

It's like cash is foreign to a lot of younger people today or something. Without a card, they are helpless.

I live in NJ and we ban self serve

Best thing we ever did
3pbj6o.jpg

Best thing we ever did
Did you get rid of the circles? That would be the best thing you ever did.

How about getting rid of the signs on 95N "Uphill grade, maintain speed" Are NJ residents that fuking dumb they need a sign they are going uphill? Not to mention ever see one doing less than 85mph in a 65 zone while texting?

What is the argument in favor of banning self service pumps?

Left thinks we are too stupid to do it ourselves. Takes 4 years at dumbfuk U to get a degree to pump gas.
Actually, If I'm not correct, that is trade school certification. They have to do an apprenticeship under someone. :71:

Either way, Ray is right, it is regulated and unionized by the government now.

Yeah, one of the reasons I hate driving through Jersey. No self service....anywhere. I always cringe a bit when I have to hand that credit card to the attendant.

Why drive thru Jersey? Avoid it like the plague it is, NY too. I won't go north or east of KY, haven't. Mom was buried yesterday in CT. I wasn't there and we were very close. That's how strongly I feel about NOT going north or east.

Best thing we ever did

How about getting rid of the signs on 95N "Uphill grade, maintain speed" Are NJ residents that fuking dumb they need a sign they are going uphill? Not to mention ever see one doing less than 85mph in a 65 zone while texting?
A couple months ago they put up signs on Route 1 (our main thoroughfare) just before every blind hill, saying a blind hill was blocking the view. My reaction was exactly the same--just how fucking stupid do you think we are? Duh. We can't see over the hill, hence it is a blind hill and a sign 50 yrds before you drive over the crest isn't going to do you one damned bit of good anyway, even if you are stupid enough to need the sign, because if there's a vehicle in your lane on the other side of the hill, you're dead meat--there's no way out, not even a paved shoulder.

Another thing I hate about self serve is you can’t pay cash.

They don’t trust you not to steal their gas so you have to go into the quickie mart and get in line behind the guy buying cigarettes and the lady buying slurpies for her kids. Then you give the kid behind the counter $40 and go pump

If you have change coming, you get back on the line.

Very good point RW. But in KY there is no line, maybe one person and it moves quickly. I renew my driver lic, never a line. In out 5 min including new pic and walk out with it in hand. WA state was 2 hrs at least, CT was days something was never right. CT had shit like you could not register a vehicle without insurance yet you could not insure a car without a reg! After 3 hrs in line they explain you need a rider from an ins co, then stand in line 3 hrs again.

Best thing we ever did

A couple months ago they put up signs on Route 1 (our main thoroughfare) just before every blind hill, saying a blind hill was blocking the view. My reaction was exactly the same--just how fucking stupid do you think we are? Duh. We can't see over the hill, hence it is a blind hill and a sign 50 yrds before you drive over the crest isn't going to do you one damned bit of good anyway, even if you are stupid enough to need the sign, because if there's a vehicle in your lane on the other side of the hill, you're dead meat--there's no way out, not even a paved shoulder.

Maybe it was a courtesy public service announcement for handicapped hills.

Forum List

Back