IL bans self service gas?

Why would anybody in their right mind want to pump gas if they didn’t have to?

Because I do not want my quarter panel gouged by a gas pump. I do not want my gas cap stolen. I do not want a tank of the wrong grade gas. I do not want the last quart dribbled down the side of my car. I do not want the pump jockey leaning against my car, gouging my paint with the buttons on his pants. I do not want to hand the dude my credit card to clone.

I live in NJ and we ban self serve

Best thing we ever did

Really, why? I never knew there were states that don’t have self serve gas. It seems like it would just add cost.

I don’t think you can pump your own gas in Oregon....

You can in the most rural parts of the state but yes for the most part you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. I personally wish the law would get removed though or at least give people the option statewide to self pump or have the attendant do it. It's nice if it's raining or cold to not have to get our of my car but sometimes it would be easier to just do it myself.

Once it's allowed, almost all gas stations will switch to self serve because it lowers wage costs and increases profits. But self-serve stations get robbed a lot and they're easy targets, especially late night stations. One employee, alone, late at night, with lots of cash. Easy peasy.
Lots of cash? Where do you live, 1990?

You can in the most rural parts of the state but yes for the most part you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. I personally wish the law would get removed though or at least give people the option statewide to self pump or have the attendant do it. It's nice if it's raining or cold to not have to get our of my car but sometimes it would be easier to just do it myself.

Once it's allowed, almost all gas stations will switch to self serve because it lowers wage costs and increases profits. But self-serve stations get robbed a lot and they're easy targets, especially late night stations. One employee, alone, late at night, with lots of cash. Easy peasy.

sSo is it a safety issue with respect to Robbery? No, that’s not the reason.
Who cares if a state has self service or not? Makes no difference to me. If someone wants to pump my gas so be it.

Gas stations have convinced you that you want to pump your own gas

No. Gas stations offered a discount per gallon if you pumped it yourself. Most people took advantage of that.

Yes, that was the bait, but once all of the stations are self-serve they charge the same rate as those who pump. Self-serve stations can also accomodate more pumps. You can put in 4 or 6 pumps and still only have 1 cashier. At the big highway gas stations, they frequently have 10 or more self-serves, but they usually have a full service lane as well.

We have a couple of gas stations across the road from one another - one is self-serve and the other is full serve. The price is the same.

If that's the case, then government need not be involved. Without a doubt, if there are two stations across from each other offering the same price, and one is self serve and the other full serve, then I'm going to the full serve, and problem solved without government.

The full service station often has a line up. This is a retirement town, and the elderly all go to the full service. Two pumps, one attendant. The self serve has four pumps, no waiting. At the big highway service centres, they'll have two attendants at the full service lane and I've often seen line-ups there, so it's the same situation.

My son-in-law won't use a full serve. He doesn't trust somebody else putting gas in his car. I know a lot of people like that.

I would willingly pay a premium to pump my own gas.

I just found out yesterday that there is a full service attendant at a gas station about 15 miles from home, although unfortunately in the opposite direction from the places I go, like work and shopping. However, I will now start going there for my gas, because it is worth it to have someone check the oil regularly. I have let it get so low a couple times that the mechanic said it was down 4 qts--basically no oil left in it. That's very bad for an engine, but there is not a single full service attendant for 50 miles--except the one guy I found out about yesterday. I am happy to spend a dime extra per gallon--that's still a buck forty, tops, and it's a lot less than a damaged engine.

And no, don't tell me to check my own. This car burns oil--it's a trait of the model. I usually remember to stop by the mechanic and he'll top me off.
How can someone be THIS proud of being helpless?

About 35 years ago I frequented Dover Township in NJ where the gas was full service by mandate and the price was roughly the same as in the south.

This was a bedroom community so its possible the taxes were lowered to enhance commuting.

I drove though NJ not too long ago. I have to admit, I miss full service. It was nice to be able to just have someone else check the oil.

It does have a make work feel to it. But, with the increasing greying of the population, and self driving cars...

I think I like the idea.

It's not a bad idea, but it should not be mandated. If a station wants to have a self service island, more power to you. Government should not be forcing you to have one.

Stupidest thing I’ve ever seen!

It’s been years since I stopped for gas in NJ because of that nonsense.
Your loss

I’ll sit in my car, you run around in the rain and cold
And when the gas attendant gets chronic lung disease from pumping gas all day..............you'll say what..........should have gotten a better job........OH WELL........

\We don't get hardly any exposure.......the gas attendants will............because they will be doing it all day.........

Do you want them to use the PROPER PPE then.....and wear Respirators all day due to long term exposure........

hmmm

You demodumbass clowns sure do reach a long way to grasp at straws. LOL
I'm not a Dem.............Work in a Refinery.........for a long time...

So I repeat my question on Full Service.............Is there LONG TERM CHRONIC problems to pumping gas all day long..........

Why is that question so difficult for you...........hmmm
No there is not. There used to be at one time but now the pump nozzles have recovery caps. There isn't even a whiff of gasoline odor.

I have not seen any manned gas stations since the 80s. It has never bothered me in the slightest. All the pumping stations are covered so you are protected in the rain.

Is there any reason why this ancient labor practice is coming back?
Plenty of places still have no vapor recovery systems, especially in rural areas.

Best thing we ever did

Really, why? I never knew there were states that don’t have self serve gas. It seems like it would just add cost.

Lots of people pay cash. Especially poor people who can't get credit, or bank accounts. I lived in a mixed neighbour in a big city, and every week a local gas station would be robbed. People don't use credit cards or debit cards in big city gas stations because those places have the highest rates of identity theft, or theft of credit card numbers. Police recommend that you don't give the clown who runs discount gas stations your cards. Theft is endemic.

Is full service still mandatory in Oregon? I visited back in like 1998 and they fucking freaked out when I tried to put gas on my rental car on my own. You would have thought I robbed the fucking place.

They must have repealed that stupid fucking law, right?
No they didn’t. It was still a thing when I was there a few years ago. Jumped out to fill up and this guy went nuts over it. Like he was the only one with a doctorate in fuel pump operation or something.

Lol. Years ago, that's what they wanted you to think too.

About 35 years ago I frequented Dover Township in NJ where the gas was full service by mandate and the price was roughly the same as in the south.

This was a bedroom community so its possible the taxes were lowered to enhance commuting.

I drove though NJ not too long ago. I have to admit, I miss full service. It was nice to be able to just have someone else check the oil.

It does have a make work feel to it. But, with the increasing greying of the population, and self driving cars...

I think I like the idea.

It's not a bad idea, but it should not be mandated. If a station wants to have a self service island, more power to you. Government should not be forcing you to have one.

Cost cutting drones could never let that survive.

Lots of people pay cash. Especially poor people who can't get credit, or bank accounts. I lived in a mixed neighbour in a big city, and every week a local gas station would be robbed. People don't use credit cards or debit cards in big city gas stations because those places have the highest rates of identity theft, or theft of credit card numbers. Police recommend that you don't give the clown who runs discount gas stations your cards. Theft is endemic.
Give him the card? Again, do you live in 1990? Swipe the card at the pump, and go!

I pay cash for everything because most of my tenants pay me in cash, and I have to spend it somewhere. But even if that were not the case, I would still use cash for all my public transactions for that reason. Over here, the criminals were putting card scanners on the gas pumps. It looked like it was manufactured with the pump, so nobody had a clue until some tech person used the pump and discovered it.

Let’s look at the numbers.
You pay an attendant $8 an hour to pump gas. Over the course of an hour he may service 25 cars at 12 gallons each. That’s 300 gallons an hour.
That’s 2.6 cents a gallon.

You think you're going to find somebody to pump gas for eight dollars an hour in the middle of winter? Then you'd be crying we can't find gas pump attendants and that's why we need more foreigners to do the job.

What you people on the left can never grasp is that wages are only part of the cost to the employer. The employer has to double their Social Security contributions, match their Medicare contributions, pay unemployment and workman's compensation insurance, provide them paid holidays and vacation.

Modern gasoline stations usually have at least a dozen pumps and often a lot more than that.

A pump man at such a facility would really have to be on-the-ball as well to tend that many customers. That's asking a lot from any employee.

They would have to hire several people. They can't be running across the parking lot all the time for other customers.
Not at all. You just make one island full service. All the rest self-serve. That's the way it has been done since self-serve came into being. The last full service attendant around here went the way of the dodo bird when he moved away and the owner couldn't find anyone else to take the job.
I think you have to pay more than minimum wage or give them free car repairs or SOMETHING. It's not an easy job.

The problem is, nobody would go to the full service islands. That's how we became all self serve in the first place. Then you have one or several pumps that are totally useless to you and a line at the self serve pissing people off.
Lines. Ahhhh....I don't miss living in civilization one little bit. Except for good restaurants. But everything has a price.

I just found out yesterday that there is a full service attendant at a gas station about 15 miles from home, although unfortunately in the opposite direction from the places I go, like work and shopping. However, I will now start going there for my gas, because it is worth it to have someone check the oil regularly. I have let it get so low a couple times that the mechanic said it was down 4 qts--basically no oil left in it. That's very bad for an engine, but there is not a single full service attendant for 50 miles--except the one guy I found out about yesterday. I am happy to spend a dime extra per gallon--that's still a buck forty, tops, and it's a lot less than a damaged engine.

And no, don't tell me to check my own. This car burns oil--it's a trait of the model. I usually remember to stop by the mechanic and he'll top me off.

It's very easy to check your own oil. All you need is a rag or paper towels. I'm sure You Tube has plenty of videos on it for your model of car.
No doing. I did, back in the day, when I was much younger and didn't mind having black grease all over my hands and oil all over my engine block. Then I got a car with a hood release so tricky even the mechanics had trouble finding the damned thing.

My Subaru has an inside hood release so hidden that I can't even find it nine out of ten times. I leave it to the mechanics now. And the full service attendant to the west'ard.

It's very easy to check your own oil. All you need is a rag or paper towels. I'm sure You Tube has plenty of videos on it for your model of car.
No doing. I did, back in the day, when I was much younger and didn't mind having black grease all over my hands and oil all over my engine block. Then I got a car with a hood release so tricky even the mechanics had trouble finding the damned thing.

My Subaru has an inside hood release so hidden that I can't even find it nine out of ten times. I leave it to the mechanics now. And the full service attendant to the west'ard.

Some oil change places will offer that service if you deal with them. Pennzoil used to do it, but they closed their oil change places--at least around here. But you could stop in anytime to get your oil checked, filled if needed, even stop in for free washer fluid. They did it for free unless your car really used a lot of oil.

Give him the card? Again, do you live in 1990? Swipe the card at the pump, and go!

I gave up car ownership when I retired to a small town on the Escarpment where I can ride a bike to get around, and everything I need is within walking distance. My daughter tried to give me her car when her husband gifted her with a new car, last Christmas, but a car can $500 dollar you to death pretty quickly. I live independently on a fixed income of about half of what used to earn on Bay Street, but adequate for me to quit working altogether and enjoy life while I have good health and the ability to do most things I want to do (skiing and squash are now both out of the question, but I'm in the best physical shape of all of my friends of similar age).

Gas station identity theft was a real thing when I left the city and when I lived in the city gas stations were few and far between and most of the people who worked at the "independent" gas stations were crooks. We were warned not to us credit or debit cards by the police. One of my neighbours had their bank account tapped after using cards in this outlets, as did one of my co-workers. This was less than 6 years ago.

I just went three solid years without a debit or credit card, because I was so worried about the things you and others here are warning about. Cash only. Very nearly had to sleep in my car when I went to a two day symposium in Augusta for work and the reservation for our rooms hadn't gone through and the hotel was not going to let an old lady teacher have a room because I didn't have a debit card. I had the cash in my hand, waving it under their nose, and they didn't want it.

So anyway, I finally caved and asked my bank to send me a debit/check card again a month or so ago because living in such a rural area where even WalMart is 50 miles away makes ordering online almost a necessity unless I want to drive an hour up and an hour back to get a new pack of socks. Or a pack of hem tape.

I'll be very careful about gas stations though if I leave town. My business of choice is a gas/convenience store/lunch counter business on the way to work that I'm sure is safe. Sadly, a few months ago they had to go to prepay cash which is such a pain in the ass it was part of the reason I got a card again.

Best thing we ever did

What's so fantastic about it?

it’s awesome. In NYC you have to go outside in the freezing cold to pump your own gas unless you want to pay extra. I love it in jersey where I don’t have to do a thing. I always give the gas station worker a dollar when it’s cold or raining.

Next law to pass...you will have to hire a union electrician to plug in your toaster.

$75 service call.

Forum List

Back