IL bans self service gas?

I live in NJ and we ban self serve

Best thing we ever did

What's so fantastic about it?

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

I get to sit in my car in the cold and rain and have someone else pump for me

You don’t really think any of the savings from not having an attendant passes on to you, do you?

Gasoline was never a profit thing over the last 30 years or so. Years ago most every gas station had a garage. When you pulled up for gasoline, the mechanic had to stop working on the cars to pump your gas. Gas station owners knew they could make a better profit by keeping their mechanics working on cars, and not make much on the gasoline.

As time went on, the garages closed and they went to convenient stores. The station makes money off their food and beverage sales. Gasoline only draws customers to their stores.

That's exactly right. When Full Service was what was done, a bell rang when a customer rolled up to the pumps.

And the change machine on the belt to give you your coins.

Hasnt been passed yet but yeah Illinois residents are too stupid to figure out how to pump gas and just too dangerous.
Everyone Should Demand These Companies Hire Employees
It's Time We Stopped Working For Conglomerates For Free With-Out Benefits !!
I Refuse To Use Self Check-Outs In Stores For The Same Reason
We Are Eliminating Good Jobs For Our Fellow Citizens

They Are Creating Profits, Dividends, And Potential Jobs
But You Are Helping Them Cut Their Need For Paid Labor

And You're Doing Their Work For Free

I get what you're saying but I don't consider advancing in technology to be bad. We don't need someone to pump our gas. We can do that. We've moved on from the blacksmith and we've done just fine.

Who cares if a state has self service or not? Makes no difference to me. If someone wants to pump my gas so be it.

Gas stations have convinced you that you want to pump your own gas

No. Gas stations offered a discount per gallon if you pumped it yourself. Most people took advantage of that.

I remember when they started using self serve in the 70s, they offered a discount of a few cents. That discount evolved into charging extra for full serve.

Another thing I hate about self serve is you can’t pay cash.

They don’t trust you not to steal their gas so you have to go into the quickie mart and get in line behind the guy buying cigarettes and the lady buying slurpies for her kids. Then you give the kid behind the counter $40 and go pump

If you have change coming, you get back on the line.

They don’t trust you not to steal their gas so you have to go into the quickie mart and get in line behind the guy buying cigarettes and the lady buying slurpies for her kids. Then you give the kid behind the counter $40 and go pump

Do you have problems pulling your covered wagon into the gas stations nowadays?

Back in the day, when America was great, people didn’t pump their own gas.

I worked in a gas station in 1970 part time while going to college.

I made $1.25 /hr.

Not exactly the best job in world the but helped me get through college debt free.

This stupid thing in Illinois will cause the price of gas to increase .50 cents a gallon. Dumbest thing anybody could think to do. But of course Illinois is run by Democrats and they are not exactly the best and brightest. Democrats always screw up everything they touch.

Let’s look at the numbers.
You pay an attendant $8 an hour to pump gas. Over the course of an hour he may service 25 cars at 12 gallons each. That’s 300 gallons an hour.
That’s 2.6 cents a gallon.

I got rid of the covered wagon. Cost too much to feed the mules

We've stopped for gas and the automatic debit/credit card scanners don't work, and you have to go inside to pay, and there's a huge lineup with one clerk on duty, and yes, some people have armloads of snacks and you're there for half an hour.

I remember when gas stations did repairs too. But usually the mechanic owned/managed the gas station, and he had an apprentice who looked after the pumps. The kid learned a good paying trade. The mechanic only did fillups when the kid wasn't around.

We've stopped for gas and the automatic debit/credit card scanners don't work, and you have to go inside to pay, and there's a huge lineup with one clerk on duty, and yes, some people have armloads of snacks and you're there for half an hour.

I remember when gas stations did repairs too. But usually the mechanic owned/managed the gas station, and he had an apprentice who looked after the pumps. The kid learned a good paying trade. The mechanic only did fillups when the kid wasn't around.

Well sure but they're just not necessary anymore. Its a nice little novelty with some nostalgia but thats it. Im not paying 30 cents extra a gallon for someone to pump my gas. Thats stupid.

I made $1.25 /hr.

Not exactly the best job in world the but helped me get through college debt free.

This stupid thing in Illinois will cause the price of gas to increase .50 cents a gallon. Dumbest thing anybody could think to do. But of course Illinois is run by Democrats and they are not exactly the best and brightest. Democrats always screw up everything they touch.

You pay an attendant $8 an hour to pump gas. Over the course of an hour he may service 25 cars at 12 gallons each. That’s 300 gallons an hour.

You think you're going to find somebody to pump gas for eight dollars an hour in the middle of winter? Then you'd be crying we can't find gas pump attendants and that's why we need more foreigners to do the job.

What you people on the left can never grasp is that wages are only part of the cost to the employer. The employer has to double their Social Security contributions, match their Medicare contributions, pay unemployment and workman's compensation insurance, provide them paid holidays and vacation.

I pay cash for every gallon I pump. Even when crowded, I'm only in line for a minute or so. But I understand we are Americans, and as such, get way too much exercise.

I made $1.25 /hr.

You think you're going to find somebody to pump gas for eight dollars an hour in the middle of winter? Then you'd be crying we can't find gas pump attendants and that's why we need more foreigners to do the job.

What you people on the left can never grasp is that wages are only part of the cost to the employer. The employer has to double their Social Security contributions, match their Medicare contributions, pay unemployment and workman's compensation insurance, provide them paid holidays and vacation.

Modern gasoline stations usually have at least a dozen pumps and often a lot more than that.

A pump man at such a facility would really have to be on-the-ball as well to tend that many customers. That's asking a lot from any employee.

Who cares if a state has self service or not? Makes no difference to me. If someone wants to pump my gas so be it.

No. Gas stations offered a discount per gallon if you pumped it yourself. Most people took advantage of that.

I remember when they started using self serve in the 70s, they offered a discount of a few cents. That discount evolved into charging extra for full serve.

People spend needlessly in this country, but for some reason, gas seems to be haunting to them. When prices were higher during the Bush years, I remember some gas station would do a promotion by selling gas for 20 cents per gallon less than the going rate. People would sit in line for an hour. It cost them more to sit on idle than it would if they just went to another station and paid full price. Spending money on gasoline has always been a hangup of ours, so when self serve came out, it was very appealing to a lot of people to get gasoline for less.

I made $1.25 /hr.

Higher than minimum wage
Pay the guy pumping gas $16 an hour and you only add 5 cents to the price of a gallon

People spend needlessly in this country, but for some reason, gas seems to be haunting to them. When prices were higher during the Bush years, I remember some gas station would do a promotion by selling gas for 20 cents per gallon less than the going rate. People would sit in line for an hour. It cost them more to sit on idle than it would if they just went to another station and paid full price. Spending money on gasoline has always been a hangup of ours, so when self serve came out, it was very appealing to a lot of people to get gasoline for less.
I never understood the obsession with the price of gas while nobody questions an increase in anything else.

I buy about 20 gallons a week. If the price goes up a dollar that is $20 extra a week. If it goes up 25 cents, I am paying an extra $5

I made $1.25 /hr.

Modern gasoline stations usually have at least a dozen pumps and often a lot more than that.

A pump man at such a facility would really have to be on-the-ball as well to tend that many customers. That's asking a lot from any employee.

They would have to hire several people. They can't be running across the parking lot all the time for other customers.

Forum List

Back