IL bans self service gas?

I live in NJ and we ban self serve

Best thing we ever did

Really, why? I never knew there were states that don’t have self serve gas. It seems like it would just add cost.

I don’t think you can pump your own gas in Oregon....

You can in the most rural parts of the state but yes for the most part you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. I personally wish the law would get removed though or at least give people the option statewide to self pump or have the attendant do it. It's nice if it's raining or cold to not have to get our of my car but sometimes it would be easier to just do it myself.

Best thing we ever did

Really, why? I never knew there were states that don’t have self serve gas. It seems like it would just add cost.

You can in the most rural parts of the state but yes for the most part you can't pump your own gas in Oregon. I personally wish the law would get removed though or at least give people the option statewide to self pump or have the attendant do it. It's nice if it's raining or cold to not have to get our of my car but sometimes it would be easier to just do it myself.

Once it's allowed, almost all gas stations will switch to self serve because it lowers wage costs and increases profits. But self-serve stations get robbed a lot and they're easy targets, especially late night stations. One employee, alone, late at night, with lots of cash. Easy peasy.

I remember the days when no one pumped their own gas. The attendant did it and checked the oil, the water and cleaned the windows. You paid the attendant.

Why are they turning back the clock?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Here in Florida, full service went the way of the Dodo bird back in the early 90s. It's been 20 years since I've even seen a full service pump at a gas station. When I see it in movies it makes them seem really dated to me.

Hey, maybe next they can work on enacting laws to bring back pay phone booths with rotary dials and switchboard operators.

Last edited:
I'm glad I am in KY, after 55 years in the north and 11 here.

Try and find a full serve station. I know of one in a 50 mi radius. I was kinda shocked to see there are NOT "no smoking signs" at pumps! But then when has any smoker blown up a station pumping gas (yea some libtard will find 1 example)

Go to a store. There are NO "no shirt, no shoes sign" Wanna go barefoot? Fine. 2 little kids running around barefoot gonna contaminate my food 3 feet over them? Get a grip, BE FREE and DEMAND it. Enough stupid lib regulations. If you can't pump your own gas maybe you should just suck a tailpipe.

Best thing we ever did

Once it's allowed, almost all gas stations will switch to self serve because it lowers wage costs and increases profits. But self-serve stations get robbed a lot and they're easy targets, especially late night stations. One employee, alone, late at night, with lots of cash. Easy peasy.

It provides jobs for people and like I said it's nice to not have to get out of my car when it's raining or cold, but when i'm in a hurry it would sure be nice to hop out and do it myself.

Best thing we ever did

It provides jobs for people and like I said it's nice to not have to get out of my car when it's raining or cold, but when i'm in a hurry it would sure be nice to hop out and do it myself.
Next time you fill up, say hey to Goober.

Goober?

Goober?
He pumped gas at Wally's filling station on Andy Griffiths show back in early 60's before you were born.

Best thing we ever did

Where? Maybe Canada. Self serve gas stations seldom if ever get robbed. Customers might get robbed. The stations? Almost never.

The small kiosk where the attendant is, is made of bulletproof plexiglass. It is so thick that the attendant has to speak into a microphone to be heard. Any cash, and there is very little cash, is passed by way of a sliding drawer. Most transactions are by card. Mostly pay at the pump. Some stations even have a sign that they will not accept cash past a certain time. Usually 10pm. Instead of easy peasy it's why bother.

Best thing we ever did

sSo is it a safety issue with respect to Robbery? No, that’s not the reason.

Best thing we ever did

Who cares if a state has self service or not? Makes no difference to me. If someone wants to pump my gas so be it.

Gas stations have convinced you that you want to pump your own gas

No. Gas stations offered a discount per gallon if you pumped it yourself. Most people took advantage of that.

Yes, that was the bait, but once all of the stations are self-serve they charge the same rate as those who pump. Self-serve stations can also accomodate more pumps. You can put in 4 or 6 pumps and still only have 1 cashier. At the big highway gas stations, they frequently have 10 or more self-serves, but they usually have a full service lane as well.

We have a couple of gas stations across the road from one another - one is self-serve and the other is full serve. The price is the same.

Who cares if a state has self service or not? Makes no difference to me. If someone wants to pump my gas so be it.

No. Gas stations offered a discount per gallon if you pumped it yourself. Most people took advantage of that.

Yes, that was the bait, but once all of the stations are self-serve they charge the same rate as those who pump. Self-serve stations can also accomodate more pumps. You can put in 4 or 6 pumps and still only have 1 cashier. At the big highway gas stations, they frequently have 10 or more self-serves, but they usually have a full service lane as well.

We have a couple of gas stations across the road from one another - one is self-serve and the other is full serve. The price is the same.

If that's the case, then government need not be involved. Without a doubt, if there are two stations across from each other offering the same price, and one is self serve and the other full serve, then I'm going to the full serve, and problem solved without government.

If that's the case, then government need not be involved. Without a doubt, if there are two stations across from each other offering the same price, and one is self serve and the other full serve, then I'm going to the full serve, and problem solved without government.

The full service station often has a line up. This is a retirement town, and the elderly all go to the full service. Two pumps, one attendant. The self serve has four pumps, no waiting. At the big highway service centres, they'll have two attendants at the full service lane and I've often seen line-ups there, so it's the same situation.

My son-in-law won't use a full serve. He doesn't trust somebody else putting gas in his car. I know a lot of people like that.

Best thing we ever did

What's so fantastic about it?

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

I get to sit in my car in the cold and rain and have someone else pump for me

You don’t really think any of the savings from not having an attendant passes on to you, do you?

My state allows self pump.

Oregon doesn't. It's illegal for anyone but the employee of the gas station to pump gas in that state.

Their gas prices are lower than the prices in my state.

Oregon has had no self service gas stations...like for ever. If you go to pump your own by habit
they get really pissed off at you.

Yes they do. I made that mistake once in the 80s. I got out of my car to pump the gas. The attendant came running out to me to take the pump from me and do it.

A few years ago they had a ballot initiative that would remove the law that forbids self serve gas.

The initiative lost big time.

Best thing we ever did

What's so fantastic about it?

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

I get to sit in my car in the cold and rain and have someone else pump for me

You don’t really think any of the savings from not having an attendant passes on to you, do you?

My state allows self pump.

Oregon doesn't. It's illegal for anyone but the employee of the gas station to pump gas in that state.

Their gas prices are lower than the prices in my state.

I always thought it was safety concerns. There have been incidents of people pumping gas while smoking and blowing up gas stations. Now they have no smoking signs everywhere, but is has happened.

Oregon also does not allow self service pumping.
Odd when I moved and did not really know how to do it at first.
It is the fire department that won't let them.
Chances of fire.

Forum List

Back