🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Illegal alien say's he should receive California law license

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Does anyone doubt he'll end up getting it ?

Illegal immigrant's bid for California law license heads to court

An illegal immigrant's unprecedented quest to get his California law license will finally get its day in court.

After years of waiting, Sergio Garcia, a Chico man who has secured his law degree but not his U.S. citizenship, on Wednesday will be at the center of closely watched legal arguments in the California Supreme Court.

The justices are considering whether the state Bar can grant an illegal immigrant a card to practice law in California, a question entangled in the fast-moving, complex immigration debate unfolding across the country.

The Obama administration, despite publicly supporting the rights of immigrants in exactly Garcia's posture, has urged the Supreme Court to deny him a law license -- taking the position it would conflict with federal immigration laws.

But Garcia has widespread support, including from the State Board of Bar Examiners, Attorney General Kamala Harris, a host of civil rights organizations and dozens of legal scholars who say both state and federal law allow California to license such immigrants.

"It's been four years since I passed the Bar (exam)," the 36-year-old Garcia said last week. "You only live once and I only have a limited amount of time."

Garcia's pursuit of a law license has attracted nationwide attention, with other states watching the outcome and the prospect of an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

MORE: Illegal immigrant's bid for California law license heads to court - San Jose Mercury News

Once the California legal system gets through with this guy, he'll not have his law license, but they'll no doubt call him a hero and trailblazer.

I'm surprised he passed the background check to take the bar! How did that happen?

Does anyone doubt he'll end up getting it ?

Illegal immigrant's bid for California law license heads to court

An illegal immigrant's unprecedented quest to get his California law license will finally get its day in court.

After years of waiting, Sergio Garcia, a Chico man who has secured his law degree but not his U.S. citizenship, on Wednesday will be at the center of closely watched legal arguments in the California Supreme Court.

The justices are considering whether the state Bar can grant an illegal immigrant a card to practice law in California, a question entangled in the fast-moving, complex immigration debate unfolding across the country.

The Obama administration, despite publicly supporting the rights of immigrants in exactly Garcia's posture, has urged the Supreme Court to deny him a law license -- taking the position it would conflict with federal immigration laws.

But Garcia has widespread support, including from the State Board of Bar Examiners, Attorney General Kamala Harris, a host of civil rights organizations and dozens of legal scholars who say both state and federal law allow California to license such immigrants.

"It's been four years since I passed the Bar (exam)," the 36-year-old Garcia said last week. "You only live once and I only have a limited amount of time."

Garcia's pursuit of a law license has attracted nationwide attention, with other states watching the outcome and the prospect of an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.

MORE: Illegal immigrant's bid for California law license heads to court - San Jose Mercury News

Deport his ass. Now.

Forum List

Back