I'm looking for a kind of cold cut I used to buy years ago

gmeyers1944

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2019
Does anyone know if you can still buy a cold cut called "Old Fashioned"? I got tired of just bologna and ham. My local supermarket didn't have it.

Does anyone know if you can still buy a cold cut called "Old Fashioned"? I got tired of just bologna and ham. My local supermarket didn't have it.
May have to make it yourself, as i havent seen it in any deli sections around here...

eckrich.com has a locator function. Type in your zip for a list of stores. Eckrich is a major brand.

You might be describing Lebanon Balogna which is a dutch country blend that's spicy and smokey made out in Lebanon PA and can be found across the U.S. even at Walmart Delis.
Goes well with non smoked provolone on a kaiser roll with deli spicey mustard.

Been a long time since I seen 'Old Fashion Loaf' in the deli case where the delidude slices your meat for you... But you should be able to find this product in the pre-packaged deli case...

1608779287961.png

Been a long time since I seen 'Old Fashion Loaf' in the deli case where the delidude slices your meat for you... But you should be able to find this product in the pre-packaged deli case...

View attachment 432833
Is that not unlike spiced ham?

View attachment 432833
Is that not unlike spiced ham?
Similiar, but old fashioned loaf is like a Dutch loaf and smoked. Smoking gives a distinctive flavor and usually, beef and pork are blended

Last edited:
You might be describing Lebanon Balogna which is a dutch country blend that's spicy and smokey made out in Lebanon PA and can be found across the U.S. even at Walmart Delis.
Goes well with non smoked provolone on a kaiser roll with deli spicey mustard.
nah, Lebanon is more like Salami, more sweet and tangy though.

Last I saw of "Dutch Loaf" had green olives and pimentos in it. That was when my father closed up his butcher shop in about 1958. Also the last time I saw (gelatinous) "Head Cheese".

You haven't lived till you have chowed down on a Head cheese sammy...

Head cheese
Food
Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut terrine or meat jelly, often made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig, typically set in aspic, that originated in Europe. Usually eaten cold or at room temperature, the dish is, despite the name, not a dairy cheese. The parts of the head used in the dish vary, though commonly do not include the brain, eyes and ears of the animal used. The tongue, and sometimes the feet and heart of the animal may be included; the dish is also made using the trimmings from more commonly eaten cuts of pork and veal, with the addition of gelatin to the stock in order to act as a binding agent. Head cheese may also be made without utilising the flesh from the head of an animal.

1608782668827.png

All of the local stores stopped carrying Dietz & Watson cold cuts. I think Boars Head must have put pig heads in all of the local deli managers beds

Forum List

Back