In these discussions, does first hand knowledge matter?

I agree with you completely. Also, it would stand to reason that certain posters here, who have dedicated their whole lives to espousing either the Palestinian or Israeli cause, would want to visit the countries that have monopolized their lives. Also, these armchair Palestinians or Israelis who will fight to the last Palestinian or Israeli from the comfort of their own homes, should want to share their discomforts (if they indeed have any), and stand with their "brethren".

I have never been to Iraq, North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, China, or Russia.

Nevertheless, I feel its more than appropriate to learn about these countries and condemn their actions when they are deserving of condemnation.

Comparing Israel with those countries proves just how far up your ass your head is. Just noting the obvious bias.

He is not making a comparison between Israel and those countries - he's making it about first hand knowledge.

I agree with you completely. Also, it would stand to reason that certain posters here, who have dedicated their whole lives to espousing either the Palestinian or Israeli cause, would want to visit the countries that have monopolized their lives. Also, these armchair Palestinians or Israelis who will fight to the last Palestinian or Israeli from the comfort of their own homes, should want to share their discomforts (if they indeed have any), and stand with their "brethren".

I have never been to Iraq, North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, China, or Russia.

Nevertheless, I feel its more than appropriate to learn about these countries and condemn their actions when they are deserving of condemnation.

Yeah, because Israel is EXACTLY like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan:cuckoo:

NO ONE said that.

How much time have I spent in Israel? Oh... you don't know? Then maybe you should stop making assumptions.

Seems to me that the people who are downplaying first hand knowledge probably have none.

Thank you for once again confirming your blatent double standard:cuckoo:

Oh, please.

Hyrcanus tried to paint everyone who commented with the "you don't think people who've never been to Israel have a right to comment" brush (even though NOBODY said that) and what do you do? You defend him.

Its pretty obvious that you've never been to Israel or the "Palestinian" territories. That does not mean you can't comment. However, when someone tells you that they have been there and have witnessed what goes on there, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss what they tell you in favor of your internet-based biases.

Gotta say i agree and disagree to that.

I belive first hand knowledge is highly important. On the other hand, most of the time I don't even *try* to stay unbiased. I dont believe it is highly honest or truthful to say i am.

Im sure BIK will agree with me on this one

Clever saying I heard once - "Each conflict has two sides. Unless you're personally involved. In that case there is only one"

*sigh*

Truth is, I've never met an Israeli who did not regularly criticize their government. That does not change the fact that they are loyal Israelis.

I've spent decades studying these issues, and I've been to Israel several times (and not merely as a tourist), and I nonetheless know that I don't know a fraction of what someone like Lipush knows about what really goes on in Israel.

Of course we complain about our government. Complaining is what we do best:D

It doesn't mean we love our country any less. the other way around, that is

I've noticed that Israelis tend to "manufacture" internal disputes to distract them from the true threats outside their borders, while Arabs tend to "manufacture" disputes with Israel to distract them from the true threats within their borders.

Of course we complain about our government. Complaining is what we do best:D

It doesn't mean we love our country any less. the other way around, that is

I've noticed that Israelis tend to "manufacture" internal disputes to distract them from the true threats outside their borders, while Arabs tend to "manufacture" disputes with Israel to distract them from the true threats within their borders.

I would revise that a bit...

I think the focus on national security is a way of uniting very divisive internal political factions. As long as they are under threat, no one focus' too much on internal problems.

I totally agree with you on the Arabs though - if the natives get restless with the local dicator, point them at Israel, fire up some conspiracy theories and allow some demonstrations.

Forum List

Back