Incompetent United Air Lines Physically Drags Passenger Off Plane For Their (Airline) Mistake

FWIW, there's a lot of case law on passengers violating FAR 121.580. The Wallaesa case was a watershed case where the appeal wasn't based on his actions, but on the FAA's authority. The court ruled in favor of the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...0/civil_penalty/CaseFile/view/2013/2013-2.pdf

Deterring Disruptive Air Passengers, Protecting Flight Attendants
FAA can propose up to $25,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. Previously, the maximum civil penalty per violation was $1,100. One incident can result in multiple violations.
Putz, you said he violated the law even before security arrived. Now you're posting a statute about removing disruptive passengers, which means he must have been distributive before security was called.

Either prove that or once again, everyone here witnesses you lying through your keyboard again.

I've read that, but UA still has the right to request anyone to deplane, if the FAA fines UA I'll stand corrected on this part, but the dumb ass should have left the plane...
No one has challenged UA's right to request that a passenger leave a plane. But do you consider brutally setting upon a 70 year-old man, breaking his nose, knocking out two of his teeth, splitting his lip and causing a concussion to be a "request?" If you do I suggest you invest in a dictionary.
You continue to conflate two different things. Why?

Yes, Republic airlines (not UA) was legal to request Dao to leave and, when he violated the Contract of Carriage, to call airport security.

No, the City of Chicago's plainclothes officer didn't appear to be justified in physically removing Dao. Once all the evidence is in, then Dao is free to sue the city.
You've failed miserably to support your idiocy that he violated their contract of carriage. You posted it earlier and were shown there wasn't a single aspect of that contract that applied to Dao's circumstances. You were also shown that United's own CEO clearly stated Dao was not at fault in any way. It's anyone's guess why you persist in the face of the stark reality that Dao was the victim here?

It's at 109 pages right now so I can understand ya'll missing my post, but there are other reasons besides overbooking that someone may need to be bumped from a flight, one of them is overfueling the airplane. The plane can't take off over weight so passengers must be removed. They have to get off, it's the law. The airline would give them the flight for free plus some money, but it's just part of flying. Stuff happens.

Just like they don't promise to get you anywhere by a certain time because flights get cancelled due to weather, maintenance issues, etc. Flying is a crap shoot that you pay to be a part of.

It's at 109 pages right now so I can understand ya'll missing my post, but there are other reasons besides overbooking that someone may need to be bumped from a flight, one of them is overfueling the airplane. The plane can't take off over weight so passengers must be removed. They have to get off, it's the law. The airline would give them the flight for free plus some money, but it's just part of flying. Stuff happens.

Just like they don't promise to get you anywhere by a certain time because flights get cancelled due to weather, maintenance issues, etc. Flying is a crap shoot that you pay to be a part of.
Yes, unforeseen exigencies can warrant, and allow, such actions by an airline.

Now prove wanting to give his seat to someone the airline prefers is such an unforeseen exigency...

Last edited:
The plane was not overbooked per United.

I've read that, but UA still has the right to request anyone to deplane, if the FAA fines UA I'll stand corrected on this part, but the dumb ass should have left the plane...

§250.2a Policy regarding denied boarding. In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall ensure that the smallest practicable number of persons holding confirmed reserved space on that flight are denied boarding involuntarily.

Dr Dao had already boarded.

(b) If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier
may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules. However, the carrier may not deny boarding to any passenger involuntarily who was earlier asked to volunteer without having been informed about the danger of being denied boarding involuntarily and the amount of Board-mandated compensation.

But that's the thing, it's not up to the passenger to decide if the reason is "good enough." In that event, you could just about always say every passenger will say the reason isn't "good enough" because nobody wants to be bumped from an airplane.

The airline owns the plane, you don't. They say you have to get up, you have to get up. It's that simple. Believe me, it's a bigger hassle for the airlines than for the passenger, so they don't do it unless they have to.

If they want to fly a flight crew that needs to be rested and ready to go the next morning on THEIR airplane, that's their choice. They own the airplane.

Agreed, but, after over 1000 posts, do you really expect the LWLs to pay attention to logic? To the FARs? To anything other than their own extreme beliefs about "what should be" and not "what is"?

§250.2a Policy regarding denied boarding. In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall ensure that the smallest practicable number of persons holding confirmed reserved space on that flight are denied boarding involuntarily.

may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules. However, the carrier may not deny boarding to any passenger involuntarily who was earlier asked to volunteer without having been informed about the danger of being denied boarding involuntarily and the amount of Board-mandated compensation.
Yes, Dao had already boarded. His boarding was then denied and he was asked to deplane.

Even if you were 100% correct with your jailhouse lawyering on the boarding issue, do you deny that when he ran back on board, that he was in the wrong for 1) violating security and 2) he'd been denied boarding and was off the plane?

Yes, Dao had already boarded. His boarding was then denied and he was asked to deplane.

Even if you were 100% correct with your jailhouse lawyering on the boarding issue, do you deny that when he ran back on board, that he was in the wrong for 1) violating security and 2) he'd been denied boarding and was off the plane?
His rights were being violated. He should have shoved the cops nose into his brain cavity.

But that's the thing, it's not up to the passenger to decide if the reason is "good enough." In that event, you could just about always say every passenger will say the reason isn't "good enough" because nobody wants to be bumped from an airplane.

The airline owns the plane, you don't. They say you have to get up, you have to get up. It's that simple. Believe me, it's a bigger hassle for the airlines than for the passenger, so they don't do it unless they have to.

If they want to fly a flight crew that needs to be rested and ready to go the next morning on THEIR airplane, that's their choice. They own the airplane.
It matters not that they own the plane. They established an agreement with their customers to get them to their destination in a timely fashion. That's the business they're in and choose to be in.

Again, unforeseen exigencies can reasonably limit their abilities to keep up their end of that agreement and customers have no choice but to suck it up when that happens.

But again, show that wanting to give away Dao's seat for the reason of giving his seat, that he's already in, to someone the airline preferred -- is an unforeseen exigency....

His rights were being violated. He should have shoved the cops nose into his brain cavity.
You should take your own advice the next time you're aboard an airliner.

No, he was not in violation of any law for running back onto the plane. Due to the actions of security, he had suffered a concussion and was not in a right state of mind. Him running back into the plane while repeating, "I have to get home," over and over, is excusable.

And if you comply and meekly get off the plane....the Airline knows they can do it again next time

Dr Dao was right, he was willing to stand up against unfair treatment. United called in the Brute Squad to beat him up for it.

Dr Dao was knocked unconscious for daring to stand up for himself. United paid a substantial price and has admitted they were wrong and will never do it again

No, he was not in violation of any law for running back onto the plane. Due to the actions of security, he had suffered a concussion and was not in a right state of mind. Him running back into the plane while repeating, "I have to get home," over and over, is excusable.

United personnel were negligent in failing to take care of a man who had just been knocked out and was suffering from a concussion, broken teeth and a fractured sinus cavity. How could they allow him back on the plane?

How inept are their gate crews?

If someone puts their hands on me to illegally remove me from a plane, I will.

And if they put hands on you to legally remove you, will you accept that, in addition to a lot of other charges, you'll be charged with resisting arrest and assault of a LEO?

Is the Flight Attendant taking away your rights by telling you to put away your cellphone or fasten your seatbelt? If the seatbelt sign is on and you have to pee, are you within your rights to get up and go pee even after the flight attendant tells you to return to your seat?

And if they put hands on you to legally remove you, will you accept that, in addition to a lot of other charges, you'll be charged with resisting arrest and assault of a LEO?
They violated the law. They were removing him just because he was not a United employee, which is a clear violation of law.

They violated the law. They were removing him just because he was not a United employee, which is a clear violation of law.
We shall see, eh? In the meantime, let me know how your next flight goes when you tell the FA to go fuck herself/himself.

We shall see, eh? In the meantime, let me know how your next flight goes when you tell the FA to go fuck herself/himself.
Dr. Dao just won the Lotto, he will be a very wealthy man by next year.

Lets see what happens the next time United removes paying passengers to make room

Oh wait....they already admitted they won't do that

Forum List

Back