Incompetent United Air Lines Physically Drags Passenger Off Plane For Their (Airline) Mistake

He was in UA seat and they have every right to request he deplane, if UA is fined by the FAA you might have a valid point then, but industry experts have made it clear that UA was with in it's rights as well as FAA regs...

Nope, they do not have a right. Go read United's own Contract of Carriage. It's still sitting back there in post 844. Go ahead --- prove me wrong. Show me anywhere in that document they award themselves any way to eject a boarded passenger.

They do have a right to request, of course. Anybody anywhere can request anything they want, any time. But they don't have the right to force it. Apparently they did request, and apparently Dao said no. Far as I know 'no' means 'no'. Doesn't mean "make me".

Again for you slow kids --- if an airline is going to bump you they need to do it BEFORE boarding, not after.
Dao was already boarded. If they were going to bump him (or anyone else on the plane) they should have thought of that BEFORE boarding, not after. They fucked up.

Dr. Dao has a pretty sordid past, this shouldn't surprise anyone, who is dumb enough to lose their medical license over scripts for sexual favors? He obviously has made some very poor decisions and not leaving the plane on his feet is an example of poor decisions...

Completely irrelevant to anything. You're desperate.

And feel free to actually LINK these "industry experts" who "made it clear that UA was within its rights". And while you're hunting for that ------ go read mine in post 842 that says the opposite.

The FAA has nothing to do with it. It's a contract between the carrier (United) and the paying passenger (Dao).

Last edited:
Why should he get off?

Is this really that difficult for you to understand?

It's a safe bet you were this dumb from birth...
That you can't answer, answers for you. Clearly, there was no reason for him to get off that plane. Even United's CEO said as much.

He was in his seat and did nothing wrong.

He was in UA seat and they have every right to request he deplane, if UA is fined by the FAA you might have a valid point then, but industry experts have made it clear that UA was with in it's rights as well as FAA regs...
Sure, under the circumstances, the airline was in their right to "request" him to deplane. Just as under the circumstances, it was his right to deny deplaning. And there isn't a single FAA regulation that you can cite that allows an airline to physically drag a passenger off a plane from their assigned seat for no reason other than to make that seat available for another passenger.

Dr. Dao has a pretty sordid past, this shouldn't surprise anyone, who is dumb enough to lose their medical license over scripts for sexual favors? He obviously has made some very poor decisions and not leaving the plane on his feet is an example of poor decisions...
His past, as sordid as it is, plays no part in this. He was wrongfully dragged off that plane. United's CEO said it. Chicago's Department of Aviation, which oversees their security force, has said it. And the enormous settlement Dao is going to receive will say it.

Last edited:
Nope, they do not have a right. Go read United's own Contract of Carriage. It's still sitting back there in post 842. Go ahead --- prove me wrong. Show me anywhere in that document they award themselves any way to eject a boarded passenger.

They own the plane, they have every right, if the FAA fines them I'll stand corrected, if they don't fine UA I'll call you SLOW POGO, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Contract of Carriage you posted is the current one, not the one at time of purchase, are you SLOWWW????

Again for you slow kids --- if an airline is going to bump you they need to do it BEFORE boarding,

That is not what the regulations state, the issue for UA was they had to offer compensation...

What's the best indicator of someones future behavior? Their past behavior...

Nothing desperate about it...

[

The Conservative Position would be to adhere to the law enforcement officers request and get off the plane and then and only then raise hell about it. Instead, you want to defend the immature actions of a child who throws a tantrum and threatens the other passengers on the plane because all he cares about is himself. The mature way to handle this was to get off the plane, demand they get me on the next flight and get over it, period!

BS. the conservative position is all about Me! Me! Me! see their position on anything political - it's all about individual rights.

Why should the doctor be inconvenienced? He's paid his fare, didn't cause any disruption and should rightfully expect to be taken to where he was going.

I already posted that Contract of Carriage --- in its entirerty --- in post 844

Isn't that the current policy and not the one at time of purchase?

Are you sure they haven't revised it?

Yup. The revision date is right there on the doc --- "February 17". Two months ago.

Fair enough, so when did Dr, Dao buy his ticket?
Don't you know when Dao purchased his ticket? You're the one who said the current contract of carriage is not the one in effect when he purchased his ticket. How could you make such a claim if you don't know when he bought it?

:itsok:

They own the plane, they have every right, if the FAA fines them I'll stand corrected

As will I, because there's no reason the FAA would involve itself in a private contract between a carrier and its passenger. Why would they do that?

They own the plane, but they also own (a) their carriage contract, and (b) Dao's money that makes him a party to it. And more to the point, he's boarded. That means he's already past the point where he can be bumped.

How did he get boarded? Who did it? United did it.

You remember "United"? The same outfit that admitted they fucked up, yet y'all can't?

The Contract of Carriage you posted is the current one, not the one at time of purchase

Link?

And I mean, not just your link of your record of when Dao purchased his ticket but also your link to the previous version of the United Contract of Carriage which specifically varies in how it treats who can be bumped. That one.

I've read that, but UA still has the right to request anyone to deplane, if the FAA fines UA I'll stand corrected on this part, but the dumb ass should have left the plane...
No one has challenged UA's right to request that a passenger leave a plane. But do you consider brutally setting upon a 70 year-old man, breaking his nose, knocking out two of his teeth, splitting his lip and causing a concussion to be a "request?" If you do I suggest you invest in a dictionary.

I've read that, but UA still has the right to request anyone to deplane, if the FAA fines UA I'll stand corrected on this part, but the dumb ass should have left the plane...
No one has challenged UA's right to request that a passenger leave a plane. But do you consider brutally setting upon a 70 year-old man, breaking his nose, knocking out two of his teeth, splitting his lip and causing a concussion to be a "request?" If you do I suggest you invest in a dictionary.
They don't trust dictionaries.

They don't trust dictionaries.
Well dictionaries are written by Liberals, don'tcha know?

Nope, they do not have a right. Go read United's own Contract of Carriage. It's still sitting back there in post 844. Go ahead --- prove me wrong. Show me anywhere in that document they award themselves any way to eject a boarded passenger.

They do have a right to request, of course. Anybody anywhere can request anything they want, any time. But they don't have the right to force it. Apparently they did request, and apparently Dao said no. Far as I know 'no' means 'no'. Doesn't mean "make me".

Again for you slow kids --- if an airline is going to bump you they need to do it BEFORE boarding, not after.
Dao was already boarded. If they were going to bump him (or anyone else on the plane) they should have thought of that BEFORE boarding, not after. They fucked up.

And feel free to actually LINK these "industry experts" who "made it clear that UA was within its rights". And while you're hunting for that ------ go read mine in post 842 that says the opposite.

The FAA has nothing to do with it. It's a contract between the carrier (United) and the paying passenger (Dao).

It was United that wrote the Contract of Carriage. Any ambiguity in what boarding is and what overbooking is the responsibility of the party who wrote it

United doesn't get to say.....We "meant" to say this

...Why should the doctor be inconvenienced? He's paid his fare, didn't cause any disruption and should rightfully expect to be taken to where he was going.
Dao caused a disruption by refusing to vacate the aircraft. By doing so, he interfered with the aircrew and the airline operations. Let's see what the Feds think about this, eh?

I'm also anticipating more passenger disruptions and flight cancellations over the summer. Should be fun and educational for all!

...Why should the doctor be inconvenienced? He's paid his fare, didn't cause any disruption and should rightfully expect to be taken to where he was going.
Dao caused a disruption by refusing to vacate the aircraft. By doing so, he interfered with the aircrew and the airline operations. Let's see what the Feds think about this, eh?

I'm also anticipating more passenger disruptions and flight cancellations over the summer. Should be fun and educational for all!
But you said his actions prior to that violated law and prompted the airline to call for security.

Of course, everyone in this thread witnessed you cower away when challenged to cite the specific statute you claimed he violated; so there's that.

FWIW, there's a lot of case law on passengers violating FAR 121.580. The Wallaesa case was a watershed case where the appeal wasn't based on his actions, but on the FAA's authority. The court ruled in favor of the FAA.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...0/civil_penalty/CaseFile/view/2013/2013-2.pdf

Deterring Disruptive Air Passengers, Protecting Flight Attendants
FAA can propose up to $25,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. Previously, the maximum civil penalty per violation was $1,100. One incident can result in multiple violations.

United caused the disruption by trying to eject paying passengers who had done nothing wrong

You continue to conflate two different things. Why?

Yes, Republic airlines (not UA) was legal to request Dao to leave and, when he violated the Contract of Carriage, to call airport security.

No, the City of Chicago's plainclothes officer didn't appear to be justified in physically removing Dao. Once all the evidence is in, then Dao is free to sue the city.

Forum List

Back