Interesting post fom another board...

I drive a Prius. I bought it used at a great price. I get about 450 miles to a tank (maybe 500, but I never let it go there) at a price of about 22 bucks to fill up. I can't help but LOVE my savings.
Don't blame you a bit. Sounds great. :)
That said, I also know that the impact to the environment to both make the batteries and dispose of them when they die, is huge. I agree with your first assumption about nuclear powered grid systems that could someday efficiently power everything, including transportation. This is where our investment in technologies should be going.
I agree. So do these guys. :)

I drive a Prius. I bought it used at a great price. I get about 450 miles to a tank (maybe 500, but I never let it go there) at a price of about 22 bucks to fill up. I can't help but LOVE my savings.
That said, I also know that the impact to the environment to both make the batteries and dispose of them when they die, is huge. I agree with your first assumption about nuclear powered grid systems that could someday efficiently power everything, including transportation. This is where our investment in technologies should be going.
there you go, supporting science
;)

What's the problem with the batteries?
Depends on the battery technology. Some, like the lead-acid batteries in the el cheapo electric vehicle linked to earlier, are highly toxic. Others, not so much.

The lithium-ion batteries used in the Volt, while not classified as toxic, are more expensive to recycle than the materials recovered are worth. It's cheaper to toss 'em in a landfill.

And how does that compare to the waste problem of nuclear?
Nuclear poses vastly greater disposal problems, of course.

So, where do you think power for electric cars comes from?

I can tell he will never solve the puzzle.

Dumbass. As an electrician I can tell you electric cars are not viable. Guess how much fossil fuel it takes to create electricity?

Or do you have your own private lightning bolt hitting you in the ass daily?

lmaosmiley.gif

I needed a good laugh!

there you go, supporting science
;)
:lol: I like to go against stereotype.

Just for shits and giggles I have stuck two bumper stickers in the rear window...Support NRA and Vote GOP :)

I am a Prius driving Republican :eusa_whistle:

Just for shits and giggles I have stuck two bumper stickers in the rear window...Support NRA and Vote GOP :)

:rofl: that should make some liberal heads explode

The Roadster was brought up only to counter the claims that these cars are necessarily inefficient and lacking in range. The Roadtser proves that that electric can be feasible for most applications* and meet IC in speed and general performance, while meeting most peoples' travel needs.

*I've not heard of any electric motor than can possibly be used to replace big Diesel engines in semis, dump trucks, and the like
Oh, you can get a thousand-HP electric motor -- look no further than the nearest railroad. That's not the limitation. The limitation is the battery. A motor that big has to have an engine-driven alternator to power it.

Wait. They have electric freight trains now? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Wouldn't using an engine to generate power for the motor defeat the entire purpose? Sure the conversion form potential to mechanical to electric to mechanical energy would be less efficient than simply hooking the engine up to the drive train?

Okay, so it might be possible [so is crossing the Atlantic by tying enough balloons to a laundry basket and catching the trade winds], but it strikes me as far outside the realm of feasibility.

:rofl:

Yes, to the efficiency; no to the "More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned" thing.

Generators is what I do for the Air Force. So I know what I'm talking about when I disagree with you.

You just agreed with him :eusa_eh:

"... no to the 'More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned' thing." That statement is incorrect.

It depends. If not all the power generated is being used, it holds true so long as the total power used does not surpass that generated and successfully transferred to the point o use

I'm one of those who have served and I call BULLSHIT on your reply and rdeans reply.
Care to tell me what your MOS or AFSC was? Oh and Jehovah's Witnesses don't join the military they are anti government which I do believe that you are a Jehovah's Witnesses. I remember your 144,000 comment.

You rotting, cowardly, vile, disgusting, lying, waste of human flesh. How dare you challenge my service or my patriotism.
Oh, that's right...only leftists can challenge anyone's service or patriotism.

Please do not confuse Yukon with a leftist.

We have nothing to do with that sack of shit.

The Roadster was brought up only to counter the claims that these cars are necessarily inefficient and lacking in range. The Roadtser proves that that electric can be feasible for most applications* and meet IC in speed and general performance, while meeting most peoples' travel needs.

*I've not heard of any electric motor than can possibly be used to replace big Diesel engines in semis, dump trucks, and the like
Oh, you can get a thousand-HP electric motor -- look no further than the nearest railroad. That's not the limitation. The limitation is the battery. A motor that big has to have an engine-driven alternator to power it.

Wouldn't using an engine to generate power for the motor defeat the entire purpose? Sure the conversion form potential to mechanical to electric to mechanical energy would be less efficient than simply hooking the engine up to the drive train?

Okay, so it might be possible [so is crossing the Atlantic by tying enough balloons to a laundry basket and catching the trade winds], but it strikes me as far outside the realm of feasibility.
yes, diesel-electric
been around for YEARS
diesel engine powers a turbine for electric motors

what they really should do is get some of the shuttle APU's and power them that way
would be far cleaner

Last edited:
Jesus Christ in Heaven Who the fuck put Rdean in Military Intelligence!?

Do you see how understated McCarthy was that we were overrun with Marxists in our government?

Military Intelligence. Good Fucking Grief! What next TruthMatters was Miss Congeniality?

Are you calling me a Marxist?

The only think worse than a Marxist is a Republican. At least Marxists love their country enough to help their middle class, not shit on them like Republicans do in this country.....apologize to any foreign companies lately?

Seeing as a fundamental aspect of Marxism is the eventual dissolution of the State and the end of age of the the nation-state, saying that Marxists love their nation is ludicrous.

Marxism is founded on class unity and basically views the existence of the nation as a means of bourgeois control by keeping the proletariat separated and antagonistic against itself.

But you're not the first to babble about Marxism while knowing nothing about it.

And the only thing worse than a Marxist is one who calls himself a Marxist yet advocates something wholly unlike what Marx truly proposed. This is what Marx was rejecting when he said 'if that is Marxism, I am no Marxist.'

Liberals feeling good about themselves is all that matters.

Acually, cool guy, it's far more usually cons who are are convinced of "silver bullets" that require ever more fossil fuels to produce... Every time I see a thread about "who killed the electric car," it's written by a con who wants to try and blame liberals for stifling progress.

I've been saying for 10 years that electric cars were never going to work. Never. So much for your theory. :clap2:

The problem with driving the locomotive's wheels from the engine mechanically is it's difficult to make a transmission that will handle that kind of torque.

Instead, the system (called diesel-electric) is a diesel engine drives a generator, which in turn drives electric motors attached to each wheel pair's axle. By varying both the engine speed and the voltage output of the generator, fantastic amounts of torque can be created. Modern locomotives have enough pull that they can rip couplings off the cars behind them. Also, the motors can act like brakes by disconnecting them electrically from the generator and shunting the power they generate when driven by the wheels to a resistive load bank, converting forward motion into heat and saving wear on the brakes.

So, you get more power to the drive wheels electrically than you can mechanically. Modern shipbuilders are doing the same thing. It makes ship design and layout easier when you don't have to factor in long drive shafts from the engines to the screws...you can run cables anywhere.

This explains it better than I have: HowStuffWorks "How Diesel Locomotives Work"

You just agreed with him :eusa_eh:

"... no to the 'More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned' thing." That statement is incorrect.

It depends. If not all the power generated is being used, it holds true so long as the total power used does not surpass that generated and successfully transferred to the point o use
If more power is generated than is used, where does it go?

New technology means we can produce Hydro Power with out Dams. Smaller free standing Turbines in Rivers, and in Areas to catch tidal forces can do the trick. You no longer need to damn up a river to use Hydro Electric power. Small Free standing turbines are already being put in NYC's East river. They can even be in a cage so no fish get into them.

Can you source those claims, please?

OMG you people are lazy. Source = discovery channel. You look it up.

Was build it bigger or one of those types of shows. They were there filming work being done on the underwater sites in the East river where they will be putting the Turbines.

The same show talked about a building they are building in the UAE I believe it was. That has horizontally fixed Air driven Turbines in a space between each floor. The Building is expected to be Nearly self sustaining electrically.

they're your claims

Forum List

Back