Iphone Factories Have Suicide Nets

I would point out that I believe that they are talking about Foxconn where the factory has a population that rivals many cities. As a matter of fact, Foxconn has a suicide rate that is LOWER than many places with similar populations and better than the overall Chinese average.
Media gets its facts wrong - working at Foxconn significantly cuts suicide risk | ZDNet

The horrible suicide rate at Foxconn is extremely overstated.

Oh really...

Well, here's a fact that apparently isn't in dispute:

They have fucking SUICIDE NETS!

Where is the OWS crowd at? Oh yeah, they're too busy blogging on their Macs, texting on their iPhones, and writing notes on their iPads to be bothered with this.

I would point out that I believe that they are talking about Foxconn where the factory has a population that rivals many cities. As a matter of fact, Foxconn has a suicide rate that is LOWER than many places with similar populations and better than the overall Chinese average.
Media gets its facts wrong - working at Foxconn significantly cuts suicide risk | ZDNet

Oh really...

Yes, because facts apparently are meaningless to you. Let’s compare then shall we:

Foxconn (which installed the nets to help reduce suicide as a response to BAD MEDIA ATTENTION) has a suicide rate of 13.9 (from the source cited earlier).

Here are some places that have HIGHER rates than Foxconn and yet they are not putting in place any preventative measures to deal with them like Foxconn has
Alaska – 22.78
Wyoming – 22.43
Montana – 21.76
New Mexico – 20.14
Nevada – 19.79
Idaho – 18.84
Utah -18.28
South Dakota – 17.46
Oregon -17.12
Arizona – 17.01
Colorado – 16.77
Oklahoma – 16.51
Vermont – 15.72
North Dakota – 15.61
Arkansas – 15.47
Hawaii – 15.02 (WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD YOU COMIT SUICIDE HERE!!!!)
Tennessee – 14.59
Kentucky – 14.17
West Virginia – 14.12
New Hampshire – 14.07
Missouri – 14.05
Alabama – 13.95
Kansas – 13.95
Washington – 13.94

That’s right, almost half the states in wonderful America have a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. Media attention at these locations was one of the reasons that they installed those nets. Too bad the media didn’t mention that far more people per capita were committing suicide in Alaska. We might have gotten nets there too. But, be appalled that they have nets – that the important thing to remember. Not facts and actual numbers – OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THEY HAVE NETS!!!

USA Suicide

Oh really...

Yes, because facts apparently are meaningless to you. Let’s compare then shall we:

Foxconn (which installed the nets to help reduce suicide as a response to BAD MEDIA ATTENTION) has a suicide rate of 13.9 (from the source cited earlier).

Here are some places that have HIGHER rates than Foxconn and yet they are not putting in place any preventative measures to deal with them like Foxconn has
Alaska – 22.78
Wyoming – 22.43
Montana – 21.76
New Mexico – 20.14
Nevada – 19.79
Idaho – 18.84
Utah -18.28
South Dakota – 17.46
Oregon -17.12
Arizona – 17.01
Colorado – 16.77
Oklahoma – 16.51
Vermont – 15.72
North Dakota – 15.61
Arkansas – 15.47
Tennessee – 14.59
Kentucky – 14.17
West Virginia – 14.12
New Hampshire – 14.07
Missouri – 14.05
Alabama – 13.95
Kansas – 13.95
Washington – 13.94

That’s right, almost half the states in wonderful America have a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. Media attention at these locations was one of the reasons that they installed those nets. Too bad the media didn’t mention that far more people per capita were committing suicide in Alaska. We might have gotten nets there too. But, be appalled that they have nets – that the important thing to remember. Not facts and actual numbers – OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THEY HAVE NETS!!!

USA Suicide

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Words fail me how goddam stupid this is.

The source story for that link is this: Revealed: Inside Apple's Chinese 'sweatshop' factory where workers are paid just £1.12 per hour | Mail Online

The reality is that MOST American companies do just this all over the globe. Companies like Wal-Mart open ‘sweat shops’ that pay excellent wages and have better working conditions than what is available to the people in the area. Unfortunately, those conditions are horrific compared to what the average American is used to.

£180 is $273.49.

That makes an annual income of $3281.88.

China adds residents' per capita income into economic growth target - Xinhua | English.news.cn

6,977 yuan is $1123.42.

So the Apple factory is paying pretty close to the national average for Chinese urban dwellers, and well above the national average for rural residents.

And that is entry level pay. So that's pretty damn good pay by Chinese standards.

The working conditions and pay may seem harsh by our advanced developed country standards, but are completely typical for a developing nation.

The labor they are performing is grunt work, not highly skilled work.

They are right in line with the smiley curve of manufacturing.

America needs to stay on the two high points of that curve. If we don't get our educational system's shit together, we won't be for much longer.
The reality is that MOST American companies do just this all over the globe. Companies like Wal-Mart open ‘sweat shops’ that pay excellent wages and have better working conditions than what is available to the people in the area. Unfortunately, those conditions are horrific compared to what the average American is used to.

The Chinese are not normal people. What they do in that county to their people is terrible.
However, the Chinese as a whole are in much better shape than say 30 or 40 years ago.
Should they be grateful? Dunno. Are they better off? Absolutely.
I would like to believe we here in the US can have more influence over conditions in China..Eventually.

China started to improve when it abandoned communist economic principles and turned toward capitalism. In the US we are abandoning capitalism in favor of communism.

Oh really...

Alaska – 22.78
Wyoming – 22.43
Montana – 21.76
New Mexico – 20.14
Nevada – 19.79
Idaho – 18.84
Utah -18.28
South Dakota – 17.46
Oregon -17.12
Arizona – 17.01
Colorado – 16.77
Oklahoma – 16.51
Vermont – 15.72
North Dakota – 15.61
Arkansas – 15.47
Tennessee – 14.59
Kentucky – 14.17
West Virginia – 14.12
New Hampshire – 14.07
Missouri – 14.05
Alabama – 13.95
Kansas – 13.95
Washington – 13.94

USA Suicide

What in the hell does this have to do with anything?

They are likely drug addicts sent to forced labor. There's no sympathy for them. There are plenty more drug addicts where they come from.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/world/asia/08china.html?_r=0

Created in 2008 as part of a reform effort to grapple with the country’s growing narcotics problem, the centers, lawyers and drug experts say, have become de facto penal colonies where inmates are sent to factories and farms, fed substandard food and denied basic medical care.

It's one of the very few Chinese policies we should implement here.

How psychotic. Seek professional help.

Or suck-start a shotgun.

You only say that because you know you'd be the first to go wouldn't you? One of the first packed off for rehabilitation. That's what they call it. Rehabilitation.

What exactly do you think you're talking about?

A lot of bridges in North America have suicide nets, what's the point here? That iPhone workers have it as good as we do? :dunno:

not to worry......the Red Chinese are the leftie liberal idols....

i'm sure they will soon establish minimum 'living' wages and OSHA standards....

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
They are likely drug addicts sent to forced labor. There's no sympathy for them. There are plenty more drug addicts where they come from.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/world/asia/08china.html?_r=0

Created in 2008 as part of a reform effort to grapple with the country’s growing narcotics problem, the centers, lawyers and drug experts say, have become de facto penal colonies where inmates are sent to factories and farms, fed substandard food and denied basic medical care.

It's one of the very few Chinese policies we should implement here.

How psychotic. Seek professional help.

Or suck-start a shotgun.

You only say that because you know you'd be the first to go wouldn't you? One of the first packed off for rehabilitation. That's what they call it. Rehabilitation.

What are YOU smoking? Note: I have never touched illegal drugs in my life.

The us government has been caught on record smuggling drugs into the United States. Fact

America won't be prosperous again until we have our own suicide nets and we slash minimum wage so that we can have the privileged of earning what our employers think we should earn. $0.50 an hour, $1.50 an hour. If you are employee of the month, maybe $3.50 an hour!

Then we can compete in the world market.

Oh really...

Alaska – 22.78
Wyoming – 22.43
Montana – 21.76
New Mexico – 20.14
Nevada – 19.79
Idaho – 18.84
Utah -18.28
South Dakota – 17.46
Oregon -17.12
Arizona – 17.01
Colorado – 16.77
Oklahoma – 16.51
Vermont – 15.72
North Dakota – 15.61
Arkansas – 15.47
Tennessee – 14.59
Kentucky – 14.17
West Virginia – 14.12
New Hampshire – 14.07
Missouri – 14.05
Alabama – 13.95
Kansas – 13.95
Washington – 13.94

USA Suicide

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Words fail me how goddam stupid this is.
and:
What in the hell does this have to do with anything?

Because it does not agree with your preconceived notion that IPhone factories are terrible places? Some of us are actually having a real conversation on the relative conditions of those factories.

Why is it so stupid to point out that the factories in question have lower suicide rates than half the states in the USA when the ENTIRE point of this thread was to complain that they put up suicide nets because working conditions are so bad.

Apparently, the supposition of the OP is completely incorrect.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back