Iphone Factories Have Suicide Nets

Patterns associated with suicide in China is a complex issue. For example, here is an interesting factoid: "The suicide rate of the rural population in China is 2.8-fold higher than that of the urban population, and the suicide rate of rural elder adults is 4.9-fold higher than that of their urban counterparts." So urban factory workers in China would seem to be less likely to commit suicide than their rural counterparts.

Last edited:
I would point out that I believe that they are talking about Foxconn where the factory has a population that rivals many cities. As a matter of fact, Foxconn has a suicide rate that is LOWER than many places with similar populations and better than the overall Chinese average.
Media gets its facts wrong - working at Foxconn significantly cuts suicide risk | ZDNet

The horrible suicide rate at Foxconn is extremely overstated.

Oh really...

Well, here's a fact that apparently isn't in dispute:

They have fucking SUICIDE NETS!

Yes, because facts apparently are meaningless to you. Let’s compare then shall we:

Foxconn (which installed the nets to help reduce suicide as a response to BAD MEDIA ATTENTION) has a suicide rate of 13.9 (from the source cited earlier).

Here are some places that have HIGHER rates than Foxconn and yet they are not putting in place any preventative measures to deal with them like Foxconn has
Alaska – 22.78
Wyoming – 22.43
Montana – 21.76
New Mexico – 20.14
Nevada – 19.79
Idaho – 18.84
Utah -18.28
South Dakota – 17.46
Oregon -17.12
Arizona – 17.01
Colorado – 16.77
Oklahoma – 16.51
Vermont – 15.72
North Dakota – 15.61
Arkansas – 15.47
Hawaii – 15.02 (WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD YOU COMIT SUICIDE HERE!!!!)
Tennessee – 14.59
Kentucky – 14.17
West Virginia – 14.12
New Hampshire – 14.07
Missouri – 14.05
Alabama – 13.95
Kansas – 13.95
Washington – 13.94

That’s right, almost half the states in wonderful America have a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. Media attention at these locations was one of the reasons that they installed those nets. Too bad the media didn’t mention that far more people per capita were committing suicide in Alaska. We might have gotten nets there too. But, be appalled that they have nets – that the important thing to remember. Not facts and actual numbers – OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THEY HAVE NETS!!!

USA Suicide

I find this hilarious and utterly retarded how you're comparing the suicide statistics of entire STATES, to a single corporation.

How many fucking office places you work at in the United States, where people are killing themselves off as much as they are over there in China. How many coworkers can you count that you've lost to suicide in a single year at your workplace?

Comparing to state statistics... oh my fucking god how retarded... show me the FoxConn statistics compared to other businesses, you fucking idiot.

The Golden Gate bridge has a suicide net. Are working conditions so bad in San Francisco?
San Francisco is a special case. People move to San Franciso hoping that their lives will be better than what it was like for them elsewhere. And if their lives don't improve while living in SF, they kill themselves.

Oh really...

Yes, because facts apparently are meaningless to you. Let’s compare then shall we:

Foxconn (which installed the nets to help reduce suicide as a response to BAD MEDIA ATTENTION) has a suicide rate of 13.9 (from the source cited earlier).

Here are some places that have HIGHER rates than Foxconn and yet they are not putting in place any preventative measures to deal with them like Foxconn has
Alaska – 22.78
Wyoming – 22.43
Montana – 21.76
New Mexico – 20.14
Nevada – 19.79
Idaho – 18.84
Utah -18.28
South Dakota – 17.46
Oregon -17.12
Arizona – 17.01
Colorado – 16.77
Oklahoma – 16.51
Vermont – 15.72
North Dakota – 15.61
Arkansas – 15.47
Hawaii – 15.02 (WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD YOU COMIT SUICIDE HERE!!!!)
Tennessee – 14.59
Kentucky – 14.17
West Virginia – 14.12
New Hampshire – 14.07
Missouri – 14.05
Alabama – 13.95
Kansas – 13.95
Washington – 13.94

That’s right, almost half the states in wonderful America have a higher suicide rate than Foxconn. Media attention at these locations was one of the reasons that they installed those nets. Too bad the media didn’t mention that far more people per capita were committing suicide in Alaska. We might have gotten nets there too. But, be appalled that they have nets – that the important thing to remember. Not facts and actual numbers – OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THEY HAVE NETS!!!

USA Suicide

I find this hilarious and utterly retarded how you're comparing the suicide statistics of entire STATES, to a single corporation.

How many fucking office places you work at in the United States, where people are killing themselves off as much as they are over there in China. How many coworkers can you count that you've lost to suicide in a single year at your workplace?

Comparing to state statistics... oh my fucking god how retarded... show me the FoxConn statistics compared to other businesses, you fucking idiot.

Listen you fucking pathetic worm (since you only seem to be able to communicate by hurling insults….

Let’s try this again, without the asinine insults, all right.

I would compare it to other companies BUT statistics are not kept for that. Most likely because Foxconn runs a factory larger than most in the world – if not THE largest factory. We are talking a company that have over 1 million workers in china alone. 1 million.

It is larger than some states.

Now, let’s approach this with some thought – the comparison I made was not meant to be a hard comparison, it is just to illustrate the fact that the assumption in the OP – that terrible working conditions at the factory – were somehow to blame for a horrendous suicide rate forcing the company to install nets. The entire supposition is based on the suicide rate at the factory. Does it not then have meaning to point out that the suicide rate there is actually LOW? Lower than the nation as a whole. Lower than several states? I would compare it to suicide rates at GM, Ford or some other manufacturing company BUT those numbers do not exist – we don’t measure suicides by companies as far as I know. The only reason that we have these rates on Foxconn is because of some fake outrage at Chinese factories even though you are typing your posts out on purchased components from that very same factory.

The outrage is bullshit as you and others are more than willing to purchase their goods. Then, to whine about the suicide NETS in a vacuum that does not realize that the suicide rate there is actually quite good is nuts. To even talk about the conditions there without comparing it to the alternatives for those people is also fake and pathetic. I am more than willing to have a good debate on the terrible worker conditions the Chinese face but I not going allow such a conversation to take place that disregards reality.

I would point out that I believe that they are talking about Foxconn where the factory has a population that rivals many cities. As a matter of fact, Foxconn has a suicide rate that is LOWER than many places with similar populations and better than the overall Chinese average.
Media gets its facts wrong - working at Foxconn significantly cuts suicide risk | ZDNet

The horrible suicide rate at Foxconn is extremely overstated.

Oh really...

do they hang them under the rafters, or over them?

Forum List

Back