Is America A Christian Nation?

It depends on how you define 'Christian Nation'.

Exactly.

There may be no official state religion but there is little doubt IMHO that America is a Christian nation to some degree.

I'm with you. The Framers of the Constitution clearly did not want a State religion. However, the majority of the people in the US have always been Christian.

Doesn't matter that the majority were christians.

One of the key questions is why did George Washington refuse to take communion for most of his adult life? For the serious Christian, such refusal is an act of self-excommunication.

More important, defenders have to explain why George Washington occupied the rank of Grand Master in the Masonic lodge. Each promotion in the Masonic lodge requires taking an anti-Christian oath?

In spite of right-wing Christian attempts to rewrite history to make Jefferson into a Christian, little about his philosophy resembles that of Christianity. Although Jefferson in the Declaration of Independence wrote of the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God, there exists nothing in the Declaration about Christianity.

Jefferson created his own New Testament that removed all supernatural acts of Christ.

The Book of Revelations warns that taking away from or adding to scripture is a highly blasphemous act with extreme punishment. Thomas Jefferson doesn't sound like a God fearing man at all.

There are alternate history books that paint our forefathers as faithful Christians. If the United States ever was a Christian theocracy then it was for a brief period in the 1950's. There was a lot of rewriting of history during the 1950s. A lot of the leaders of that time were promoting these types of lies. That's why we hear it so much today. The indoctrinated children of the 1950s are currently at the age that is ripe for government service. They firmly believe the United States is a Christian nation. They grew up in an environment where that premise was never challenged.
Yes I saw that story about this era where Christians really pushed to make us a Christian nation.

They even put in god we trust on the dollar

with Hitchens declaring a crisis of faith in the country, one that shows a decisive tide is turning against the forces of religion.

Religion and Faith are mutually exclusive , in fact the institutionalization of religion is the single most destructive element faith has ,or will ,ever endure

we are fundamentally a Christian nation going all the way to the Founding Fathers

absolutely hands down a lie

If these fascist fundies are so bent on infiltrating governance, let them pay their 'effin way , tax the sh*t outta them

you-know-what-they-ought-to-do-with-churches-tax-25023497.png
~S~
Are you sure you have done a proper accounting of religion?

All I can say is who knows how many of us Atheists are out there.

In A Congress Full Of Firsts, Still No Open Atheists | HuffPost

There are certainly some liars in the government. We make up like 30% of the population yet not one openly atheist member of the government?

It's our turn to come out of the closet and I think you will all be surprised how many of us there are.

Ding
It's our turn to come out of the closet and I think you will all be surprised how many of us there are.

do you include secularist ... non atheist in your count.

Sinema takes Senate oath on Constitution instead of Bible

Democrat Kyrsten Sinema was sworn into the U.S. Senate in Washington Thursday morning, and when she took the oath of office she swore on a copy of the Constitution. Most other senators used a religious book, including Arizona Republican Martha McSally, who used a Bible.

you can not deny the metaphysical, sealy at least you are not a christian the Almighty will be pleased with that.
Yes I count agnostics and secularists.

I even support religions who keep it to themselves. They don’t politicize or weaponize it
The distinction is materialists and spiritualists. Materialists believe in materialism which is that everything proceeded from the material. Spiritualists believe in the material and the spirit. Whereby the material world proceeded from spirit.

Materialists are atheists and are somewhere around 10% of the population. So as much as you would like to believe that the world is becoming more atheistic, that just isn't the case. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.
I disagree. Many many Americans approach me and tell me they don’t believe. Then add the agnostics who doubt but are too scared to admit what they believe.

Now consider so many fewer parents in America are taking their kids to church.

You just don’t see it because you live in the spiritual world with other spiritualists. Your religions are slowly disappearing.

Don’t think your grandkids will be going to church like you do. They wont
Really? These people just walk up to you and say, I don’t believe in spirituality?

So I believe you have missed my point. The data shows they are leaving organized religion but not abandoning their spirituality.

You are equating leaving organized religion with becoming atheist.

I don’t believe your informal discussions are statistically valid. And I believe your premise is flawed.
Stop going to church is a step in the right direction imo and not in yours. And you know it.

YES people tell me they don’t believe in ways I would not tell them. Like this guy at work the other day. I don’t know what I said but I was shocked when he said it’s all bullshit. I’m too chicken to be that honest. You don’t know who believes and will be hurt.

with Hitchens declaring a crisis of faith in the country, one that shows a decisive tide is turning against the forces of religion.

Religion and Faith are mutually exclusive , in fact the institutionalization of religion is the single most destructive element faith has ,or will ,ever endure

we are fundamentally a Christian nation going all the way to the Founding Fathers

If these fascist fundies are so bent on infiltrating governance, let them pay their 'effin way , tax the sh*t outta them

~S~

Ask any recovering catholic , you'll field similar sentiments ding

~S~

Yes I saw that story about this era where Christians really pushed to make us a Christian nation.

Re-read history. Communism was on the rise with their idea that there is no God and that the government will decide what is right for all. The American retort was, "In a power higher that government--i.e. God--we trust."

Today, do we want government as our highest power? Or do we want to look towards something even higher than government? As the world turns, we see Russians now trying to turn back to God while Americans are turning more and more to government. Perhaps we can have In Government We Trust printed on our Debit Cards.

Re-read history. Communism was on the rise with their idea that there is no God and that the government will decide what is right for all. The American retort was, "In a power higher that government--i.e. God--we trust."

Today, do we want government as our highest power? Or do we want to look towards something even higher than government? As the world turns, we see Russians now trying to turn back to God while Americans are turning more and more to government. Perhaps we can have In Government We Trust printed on our Debit Cards.

No one said we're turning our backs on God

We're turning our backs on control freak religmo's

In fact, i expect them to be the first to spontaneously errupt into flames on the 2nd coming....

~S~

~S~

~S~
That doesn’t mean it is a fair accounting.

~S~

~S~

agreed

so the q would be, what metric applies ding?

~S~

No one said we're turning our backs on God
Perhaps re-read what I said. (Hint: It was not In Religion We Trust.) I never mentioned religion. I did mention God several times. And government. I am no fan of big government.

The US has been at war for nearly its whole existence. So not a Christian nation.

~S~
He's just as sure as you are. And I'm just as sure as both of you. LOL

The US has been at war for nearly its whole existence. So not a Christian nation.
What? Christianity is all about war.

The great series of western holy wars were the Crusades, which lasted from 1095 until 1291 CE. The aim was to capture the sacred places in the Holy Land from the Muslims who lived there, so it was intended as a war to right wrongs done against Christianity. The first Crusade was started by Pope Urban II in 1095.

[.......................the agnostics who doubt but are too scared to admit what they believe.

Yeah. I have almost no respect for someone who calls themselves agnostic. As far as I'm concerned an agnostic is an atheist that is a complete coward.

~S~
If that were the case you’d debate me in the bull ring over it and so would he.

~S~

~S~

agreed

so the q would be, what metric applies ding?

~S~
Objectivity.

As a lifelong Christian I do feel we are based on Christian values. However greed and corporatism has made it ok to twist Christian values to meet greedy natratives. Jesus wasn't about the wealthy. Jesus taught about helping the least among us...almost solely. Yet here we are today...a nation that is first and foremost about garnering the most money.

~S~
No. If this debate could be won then it'd already be won by smarter men than me. The fact is you are wrong but when you doubt the scientists of the world who specialize in this and believe the global corporate polluters position on this, what can I say that will convince you? You're the slickest idiot I know ding.

As a lifelong Christian I do feel we are based on Christian values. However greed and corporatism has made it ok to twist Christian values to meet greedy natratives. Jesus wasn't about the wealthy. Jesus taught about helping the least among us...almost solely. Yet here we are today...a nation that is first and foremost about garnering the most money.

And it's the richest among us who are cutting foodstamps, welfare, medicare, social security, etc. All the social programs that help the masses. All so they can make a little more.

And why? It's their money! They don't realize they became rich in a much different society. One that made college affordable for example. But they don't care because they have theirs now. It's literally like climbing a ladder someone provided you and then lifting up the ladder once you've climbed it so no one else can climb it.

And it's the richest among us who are cutting foodstamps, welfare, medicare, social security, etc. All the social programs that help the masses. All so they can make a little more.

And why? It's their money! They don't realize they became rich in a much different society. One that made college affordable for example. But they don't care because they have theirs now. It's literally like climbing a ladder someone provided you and then lifting up the ladder once you've climbed it so no one else can climb it.
Would you like to be a communist state?

~S~
No. If this debate could be won then it'd already be won by smarter men than me. The fact is you are wrong but when you doubt the scientists of the world who specialize in this and believe the global corporate polluters position on this, what can I say that will convince you? You're the slickest idiot I know ding.
Because I understand science?

Has anyone ever told you that you are overly emotional?

Forum List

Back