Is Black Culture the Primary Cause of the ills that plague the Black Community?

Is Black Culture the Primary Cause of the ills that plague the Black Community?

• Total voters
i wonder about the culture which makes police officers think it's okay to assign themselves judge, jury and executioner of criminals.

no matter the culture or color of the criminal, unless there is an imminent threat, deadly force is uncalled for...

Not the topic of this thread.

I wouldn't say Black culture per say Urban thug culture yes.

Which culture do you associate "thug culture" with? "thug culture" has found its home primarily among the black community.

That culture is also prevalent in many Hispanic communities in California and the Southwest, a few Asian too. White people are the number one purchaser of rap music too btw.

That may be true. But the question is whether black culture is the primary cause of the ills in the black community? Just because you can subcultures of the same behavior among other cultures does not negate the fact that one culture in particular promotes it more than others.

Anyone raised in those environments can succumb to it, I've seen a few white people fall into this as well.

Once again, just because you can find subcultures of the same behavior among other cultures does not negate the fact that one culture in particular promotes it more than others.
Yes it does because you are specifically calling it ‘black culture’ and it is not confined to blacks. The black community has a larger problem with the ‘thug’ culture but it is not race specific.

Yes, culture is the problem. Calling it ‘black culture’ is somewhat a misnomer though because such subculture is not necessarily a function of race.

There is a clear subcultural problem within the poor black communities in the US and it spurs the higher crime rates and higher single parent homes in that community.

No, but race is an indicator of culture and blacks tie their culture directly to their race. They certainly identify as black and associate behaviors with that status. Think of a black thug making fun of another black child by telling him getting good grades and speaking proficiently is "acting white."

American Blacks deserve far better than what has been done to them by those who claim to care.

i wonder about the culture which makes police officers think it's okay to assign themselves judge, jury and executioner of criminals.

no matter the culture or color of the criminal, unless there is an imminent threat, deadly force is uncalled for...

the title asks about the cause of the ills that plague the black community...

Though the investigation is not yet complete, Batts said Friday that there are at least two indications that officers involved in Gray's arrest did not follow protocol.

"We know he was not buckled in the transport wagon, as he should've been. No excuses for that, period," he said. "We know our police employees failed to get him medical attention in a timely manner multiple times."

That Gray wasn't buckled has raised speculation that he was injured during what's known as a "rough ride" or "nickel ride," in which officers place a handcuffed suspect in a police van and drive recklessly so as to toss the suspect around.

Asked if Gray could have incurred his injuries via a rough ride or outside of the van, Batts said there is "potential" that both could be true.

'It's complex'

The Baltimore Police Department has established a task force composed of 30 investigators -- including members of the force investigation unit and homicide detectives -- to look into Gray's death, Batts said.

Freddie Gray investigation What s next - CNN.com

the title asks about the cause of the ills that plague the black community...

Though the investigation is not yet complete, Batts said Friday that there are at least two indications that officers involved in Gray's arrest did not follow protocol.

"We know he was not buckled in the transport wagon, as he should've been. No excuses for that, period," he said. "We know our police employees failed to get him medical attention in a timely manner multiple times."

That Gray wasn't buckled has raised speculation that he was injured during what's known as a "rough ride" or "nickel ride," in which officers place a handcuffed suspect in a police van and drive recklessly so as to toss the suspect around.

Asked if Gray could have incurred his injuries via a rough ride or outside of the van, Batts said there is "potential" that both could be true.

'It's complex'

The Baltimore Police Department has established a task force composed of 30 investigators -- including members of the force investigation unit and homicide detectives -- to look into Gray's death, Batts said.

Freddie Gray investigation What s next - CNN.com
that criminal got "put in his place" ...

Police are the PRIMARY ill that plagues the black community?

Is there any better example of white privilege than the fact that white people feel like they can talk down to black people?

I wouldn't say Black culture per say Urban thug culture yes.

Which culture do you associate "thug culture" with? "thug culture" has found its home primarily among the black community.

That culture is also prevalent in many Hispanic communities in California and the Southwest, a few Asian too. White people are the number one purchaser of rap music too btw.

I know, it sucks. Remember the movie Office Space and the skinny white nerdy guy listening to rap and rapping with the song? Then it was a joke, now my white, upper middle class daughters actually do that. Where have you gone, Joe Walsh?

Indeed, he listened to rap music while not acting out the culture that spawned it.

Thats the problem, the music has become a lifestyle instead of just entertainment. But remember that white guy in that movie did try to rip his company off for millions of dollars!

LOL, I agree it can be a lifestyle. It's all the kids now though. My oldest is working on her PhD, the younger one just starting college. It's bizarre to me the crap they listen to

ya think?

So you're telling me that the primary cause of all of black peoples problems stem from the police?

High rates of violence, high rates of illegitimate births, high rates of poverty, high rates of poor school performance, poor speech, are all the fault of the police?

It's called society looking the other way.

ya think?

So you're telling me that the primary cause of all of black peoples problems stem from the police?

i think the primary cause of outrage toward authority is an abuse of power...

But this thread isn't about the "primary cause of outrage toward authority" is it? Not the topic of this thread. I disagree with you and I would be happy to address that topic. But not here.

Forum List

Back