Is chess a sport?

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past

I want to see a match between Carlsen and Ding. To answer the title question. Yes, it is a mental sport that will test you physically as well.

I suppose. One in which Canada would never medal. That should say something about the cerebral activity of even our top citizens...

He has dual citizenship.
The key is "born in USA". He was probably educated/influenced there as well though I don't know anything beyond his birth state from him stating it somwhere. I am trying to rebuild a new rating myself as I used to be over 2000. I am probably a solid 1750-1800 ELO rating. If I focused and studied (I dont follow deep historical "right moves" only the first 5-6 opening or defense moves). My style is inspired by Tal or Morphy as I love the creativity and energy of active play, not memorization.

sport
[spôrt]

NOUN
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

within the game of chess it challenges them mentally and physically to win so they are athletes.

I agree it's mentally challenging, I like Chess.

But, it's not a sport. If Chess is a sport we're all athletes, just getting out of bed in the morning is physically challenging sometimes......Come to think of it, it's mentally challenging as well.

:bigbed:

within the game of chess it challenges them mentally and physically to win so they are athletes.
Lifting those 1 ounce chess pieces and moving them 2 inches challenges them physically?
Hope they are in shape.

Forum List

Back