Is Gay Marriage a separation of Church and State?

No, when we are talking about marriage, we are talking about private ritual.

You are conflating the ritual with the registration of the union with the state government.

No, when we are talking about marriage, we are talking about private ritual.

You are conflating the ritual with the registration of the union with the state government.

Marriage is not a ritual. A wedding is a ritual. I have been in a marriage for the last 40 years and most rituals don't go on that long. It just might seem like it. You are confusing the ritual with the relationship.

Yes, a wedding is a ritual for a marriage, which is a private function.

You have to register the marriage with the state if you want the perks and the responsibilites of the law associated with a civil union.

Yes, a wedding is a ritual for a marriage, which is a private function.

You have to register the marriage with the state if you want the perks and the responsibilites of the law associated with a civil union.

Ok. I think you are applying a very specific definition to marriage which would not be accepted by most of us, but I understand what it is you are saying. Accepting your definition, for the sake of this discussion only, I will agree with you.

Marriage is a contract. A marriage ceremony is religious. Many people get married and are atheists. Marriage law is secular and contains nothing whatsoever religious in it. It applies equally to those married in a religious ceremony or not. The history of marriage is not a valid or legal argument. Gay folks make up a small % of the population. Let them marry and be happy.

Forum List

Back