Is gerrymandering really that bad?

The ends justify the means is for authoritarians, not freedom loving Americans.

You're right. I agree. In fact, I've said the same thing many times before. When the Democrats shut out the GOP to draft Obamacare and then insisted nobody could read it until it was passed. When the Senate dropped the nuke last year. When Obama promised to govern by EO a few weeks ago. The list goes on and on.

You're right. I agree. In fact, I've said the same thing many times before. When the Democrats shut out the GOP to draft Obamacare and then insisted nobody could read it until it was passed. When the Senate dropped the nuke last year. When Obama promised to govern by EO a few weeks ago. The list goes on and on.

Pure Pubcrappe, for dupes only. lol. This is the worst gerrymander in my lifetime. Illinois my butt. This is national. ACA IS PUB, AND THE SENATE PASSED IT MONTHS BEFOREHAND, after months of negotiations with the gang of six, a disgraceful Pub sham. Try actually winning an election. Nuke my ass, Obama promised to get SOMETHING- VERY LIMITED- done, finally....CHANGE THE CHANNEL, HATER DUPE RUSHBOT lol...

Pure Pubcrappe, for dupes only. lol. This is the worst gerrymander in my lifetime. Illinois my butt. This is national. ACA IS PUB, AND THE SENATE PASSED IT MONTHS BEFOREHAND, after months of negotiations with the gang of six, a disgraceful Pub sham. Try actually winning an election. Nuke my ass, Obama promised to get SOMETHING- VERY LIMITED- done, finally....CHANGE THE CHANNEL, HATER DUPE RUSHBOT lol...

You self-destructing sorry fuck.

Haven't they taken you off the ventilator yet?

Why doesn't the GOP believe in democracy...just greedy mega rich a-holes and hater dupes...

the GOP believes in democracy the same way the dems do, whomever controls gerrymandering gets to call the shots so to speak.

Look what the dems did in Illinois. Or do only rail against GOP gerrymandering?

Gerrymandering on either side is bad and everyone knows it. If your party happens to be in control of the gerrymandering, then you probably will look the other way and not worry about it. The funny thing is that voters really are stupid. Here in Ohio we had a referendum last election to determine if we should have a non-partisan committee determine Congressional Districts in the future. The measure was defeated by close to a 2 to 1 margin.

Hard to believe the voters can be convinced to have their Representative determined in some backroom agreement

The OP link is summarized here:

The ideal strategy for elections is to make sure your districts have just enough of a partisan tilt to ensure you'll almost certainly win them, but not so much that you win them overwhelmingly and waste your votes. Meanwhile, you want to cram the opposition's voters into districts which they win by overwhelming margins and thus waste their votes. Republicans can make sure their seats are both safer and more numerous by achieving lots of districts where they're likely to win by a safe but not extravagant margin, say 15-30%.

To Liberals, Gerrymandering is only bad when Republicans do it.

Hell, the Supreme Court requires it to insure blacks get elected.

Is gerrymandering a bad thing? Is separating American voters based entirely on race a bad thing?

Why doesn't the GOP believe in democracy...just greedy mega rich a-holes and hater dupes...

the GOP believes in democracy the same way the dems do, whomever controls gerrymandering gets to call the shots so to speak.

The crux of the issue. Gerrymandering is not good or evil. It's just the way it is.

If a bird eats a worm, the worms my think birds are evil. But the bird is just doing what it has to do - eat.

The sad part of the issue is that the whole reason for being (for politicians) is to hold power - for yourself and for your party. It's not about good government. It's just about getting and holding power.

Is gerrymandering really that bad is obviously a silly question. Yes, it is bad.

Is gerrymandering really that bad is obviously a silly question. Yes, it is bad.

ok, how do you divide the districts?

Follow Iowa's and California's examples. Have the judicial branch draw the maps and follow strict guidelines:

The only information taken into account when drawing the maps is population count

Only so many artificial "bends" in each district (not including state borders)

Try to divide county lines as little as possible.

ALSO: No more intentional majority-minority districts

Gerrymandering on either side is bad and everyone knows it. If your party happens to be in control of the gerrymandering, then you probably will look the other way and not worry about it. The funny thing is that voters really are stupid. Here in Ohio we had a referendum last election to determine if we should have a non-partisan committee determine Congressional Districts in the future. The measure was defeated by close to a 2 to 1 margin.

CA passed such a law. All states need to.

When Democrats ruled congress most of my life, it was Democrats who resisted every effort to change it. Now that you're in the minority, anyone who doesn't want to change it doesn't "believe in democracy" and is greedy, rich and a hater.

You're the dupe...

Forum List

Back