Is it Christian to shop your friend to the authorities?

He was choked. He was not too fat nor too Black. YOU ARE TOO STUPID.
This thread isn't making sense...or is it me? Oh, nevermind!

Ok I am reposting the OP. A Christian friend told the police that his friend was dealing illegally, in food stamps, in this case. Is it right for a Christian to tell on his friend to the police? Especially without warning or reminding the friend that he may get into trouble?
Thank you! In the strict sense, I think Judas is the lesson. Christ was certainly disappointed in him even before he actually turned his friend in.
I think the right thing was do as you said, reminding him of what coluld happen if he continued.

He was choked. He was not too fat nor too Black. YOU ARE TOO STUPID.

He weighed 350 pounds, suffered from a number of health problems, including heart disease, severe asthma, diabetes, obesity, and sleep apnea

His 27 year old daughter just died of a heart attack.

Bad genes, bad diet.....just a matter of time.
1. He was TALKING and CONSCIOUS after the "choke hold" ended.
2. Autopsy revealed no damage to body parts used in breathing that would limit breathing.

These two Christian guys went to the same church. One of them was selling/buying food stamps during the week and mentioned it to his pal. Then his pal reported him to the authorities and now he will go to jail probably.

Was it Christian of his pal to report him to the authorities? They were friends and went to the same church. What would you have done if he told you that he was dealing food stamps?
I wouldn’t tell but it’s good the guy got caught. The right thing to do is tell. Breaking the law is the offense to Christianity

But judas told on Jesus too. And look what that lead to. Why is breaking the law an offense to Christianity? Christian's pay for example penalty taxes in Muslim countries for not converting after being conquered.
Here’s how it’s unchristian. We all know of guys like this. It’s gotten so bad we’re going to cut these programs and that’s going to hurt people who really need it.

The act of flipping foodstamps pisses people off and rightfully so. That’s stealing from all of us.

This is why we have laws because believing in god clearly isn’t a deterrent. It’s because most Christians believe all they need is to believe and be baptized and you’re in

:eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

These two Christian guys went to the same church. One of them was selling/buying food stamps during the week and mentioned it to his pal. Then his pal reported him to the authorities and now he will go to jail probably.

Was it Christian of his pal to report him to the authorities? They were friends and went to the same church. What would you have done if he told you that he was dealing food stamps?
How did he shop his friend to the police? Was he paid money?
I agree his question doesn’t sound right. We get the gist but huh?

Btw you remind me of boss so I’m going to tell you before it’s too late I appreciate and respect you as a poster even if I don’t show it. You’re a smart guy
Thanks. I don't want to let this get around, but I think you are a really good guy. I respect you and know that you are intelligent and articulate. I am way cool with you believing whatever you believe. I don't even mind bantering with you over my beliefs. It took me a really really long time to find my faith. I try not to get in the way of others. And lastly, you are a really good son. Keep making your dad happy and you can ride into heaven on his coat tails.
We will never speak of this moment again
:)

Was it Christian of his pal to report him to the authorities?
Is it ethically/morally wrong for private individuals to trade in food stamps? AFAIK, and by my ethical compass, yes, it is for doing so is not consistent with the spirit underpinning the existence of public assistance programs like the food stamp one. I believe too that by the laws in place regarding food stamps it is also illegal, though I haven't checked to confirm whether it is.

They were friends and went to the same church.
Party A's status as a friend of Party B does not obtain for Party A imprimatur to whatever the hell s/he wants. Moreover, Party B becomes complicit in Party A's wanton deeds if Party B does not report those that are unlawful. Such complicity thereby becomes a stain on Party B's character.

What would you have done if he told you that he was dealing food stamps?
  • Divest myself of the friendship -- Clearly my judgment in admitting the person to the "club" called "my friends" was errant. By engaging in trade of food stamps, rather than the appropriate use of food stamps, that person never truly belonged in that "club."
  • Report the act -- My tax dollars help pay for food stamps, and I don't mind that they do. I mind very much that some specific individual known to me is abusing my and others largesse in being willing to provide them with assistance in their hour of need. If the individual needs items/services other than what "food stamps" will buy, fine, but then that person, just as they solicited the food stamp resource, needs to solicit resources for those other things. Quite simply, there is a right way and a wrong way to obtain all sorts of public assistance and that person is going about it the wrong way.

his pal reported him to the authorities and now he will go to jail probably.
I don't know how probable it is that the offender will go to jail. I suspect there is an assortment of actions the administrators of the food stamp program may pursue, and incarceration is among them, but it need not be the actual outcome any given person experiences. (Trafficking in food stamps valued below $100 is not a felony offense.)

But if you tell on him to the police, then the fact that he was your friend before you un friended him for this, will weld your life and his life together as one forever, especially if he goes to jail for it. The fact that you Un friended him for his crime exactly, and that you got paid money for reporting him, will make him think that you are a part of his life forever, in hate. Do you expect a break from such an ex friend?

I wouldn’t tell but it’s good the guy got caught. The right thing to do is tell. Breaking the law is the offense to Christianity

But judas told on Jesus too. And look what that lead to. Why is breaking the law an offense to Christianity? Christian's pay for example penalty taxes in Muslim countries for not converting after being conquered.
Here’s how it’s unchristian. We all know of guys like this. It’s gotten so bad we’re going to cut these programs and that’s going to hurt people who really need it.

The act of flipping foodstamps pisses people off and rightfully so. That’s stealing from all of us.

This is why we have laws because believing in god clearly isn’t a deterrent. It’s because most Christians believe all they need is to believe and be baptized and you’re in

But the whole reason why food stamps can be traded is that the poor sell it voluntarily. And they sell it because they are unaware that it is a crime and their other basic needs are not met.

But the whole reason why food stamps can be traded is that the poor sell it voluntarily. And they sell it because they are unaware that it is a crime and their other basic needs are not met.
It’s not theirs to sell. They don’t know it? I don’t buy that. Most people are probably glad he got caught

Is it ethically/morally wrong for private individuals to trade in food stamps? AFAIK, and by my ethical compass, yes, it is for doing so is not consistent with the spirit underpinning the existence of public assistance programs like the food stamp one. I believe too that by the laws in place regarding food stamps it is also illegal, though I haven't checked to confirm whether it is.

Party A's status as a friend of Party B does not obtain for Party A imprimatur to whatever the hell s/he wants. Moreover, Party B becomes complicit in Party A's wanton deeds if Party B does not report those that are unlawful. Such complicity thereby becomes a stain on Party B's character.

• Divest myself of the friendship -- Clearly my judgment in admitting the person to the "club" called "my friends" was errant. By engaging in trade of food stamps, rather than the appropriate use of food stamps, that person never truly belonged in that "club."
  • Report the act -- My tax dollars help pay for food stamps, and I don't mind that they do. I mind very much that some specific individual known to me is abusing my and others largesse in being willing to provide them with assistance in their hour of need. If the individual needs items/services other than what "food stamps" will buy, fine, but then that person, just as they solicited the food stamp resource, needs to solicit resources for those other things. Quite simply, there is a right way and a wrong way to obtain all sorts of public assistance and that person is going about it the wrong way.

I don't know how probable it is that the offender will go to jail. I suspect there is an assortment of actions the administrators of the food stamp program may pursue, and incarceration is among them, but it need not be the actual outcome any given person experiences. (Trafficking in food stamps valued below $100 is not a felony offense.)

But if you tell on him to the police, then the fact that he was your friend before you un friended him for this, will weld your life and his life together as one forever, especially if he goes to jail for it. The fact that you Un friended him for his crime exactly, and that you got paid money for reporting him, will make him think that you are a part of his life forever, in hate. Do you expect a break from such an ex friend?
Sapor ebbs quickly once food is swallowed.
-- Xelor, variation on a line in Jules Verne, Paris in the Twentieth Century

if you tell on him to the police, then the fact that he was your friend before you un friended him for this, will weld your life and his life together as one forever, especially if he goes to jail for it.
In whose mind? Surely not mine. In the minds of any sensible observers, there would be, from the point of my reporting him, no "weld," as you say; there'd be a "weld" that broke.

The fact that you ...got paid money for reporting him
WTH? Where did I get paid for reporting him?

Do you expect a break from such an ex friend?
I won't posit notions about or expectations of what in fact transpires in the minds of folks who are of poor enough character to abuse a food stamp program. That "former friend" doesn't exist in the world to meet my expectations, but to exist in the world as friends, we each must live up to the other's expectations. Much as I may rue and miss the nature and benefits of a former friendship, the prospect of missing such is insufficient for me to compromise myself, my character as I desire it to be, for such things.

It is not the words or the actions you should trust, rather the pattern.
-- Shannon L. Alder​

if you tell on him to the police, then the fact that he was your friend before you un friended him for this, will weld your life and his life together as one forever, especially if he goes to jail for it.
In whose mind? Surely not mine. In the minds of any sensible observers, there would be, from the point of my reporting him, no "weld," as you say; there'd be a "weld" that broke.

I won't posit notions about or expectations of what in fact transpires in the minds of folks who are of poor enough character to abuse a food stamp program. That "former friend" doesn't exist in the world to meet my expectations, but to exist in the world as friends, we each must live up to the other's expectations. Much as I may rue and miss the nature and benefits of a former friendship, the prospect of missing such is insufficient for me to compromise myself, my character as I desire it to be, for such things.

-- Shannon L. Alder​

Interesting that you believe that when you make an enemy out of your friend, you think you can protect yourself by ignoring him. Plus there is the problem of self righteousness which the Bible warns against.

It’s not theirs to sell. They don’t know it? I don’t buy that. Most people are probably glad he got caught

He got caught only because he to.d his friend who shopped him for money. I thought the Bible warned against self righteousness.

He got caught only because he to.d his friend who shopped him for money. I thought the Bible warned against self righteousness.
You guys sound like horrible Christians all of you. You for not getting it. We have these programs where you can “shop” someone who’s abusing the system.

I will give you this. The guy who shopped him might do the same thing if he were in the other guys shoes. True.

Aren’t there stories where parents have called the police on their own kids?

You guys sound like horrible Christians all of you. You for not getting it. We have these programs where you can “shop” someone who’s abusing the system.

I will give you this. The guy who shopped him might do the same thing if he were in the other guys shoes. True.

I would probably need to refer to the Biblical judgement clause that reserves it to God. That is fundamental to Christianity. If you shop your friend then you have made a judgement about your friend so you broke the foundation, and therefore you will be judged too as per the belief.

If you are afraid that your friend or child hurts you or your stuff then you would call the police but that is self defense so very difference. Even government investigators are not allowed to do fishing for crooks, by law, by the way.

I would probably need to refer to the Biblical judgement clause that reserves it to God. That is fundamental to Christianity. If you shop your friend then you have made a judgement about your friend so you broke the foundation, and therefore you will be judged too as per the belief.

If you are afraid that your friend or child hurts you or your stuff then you would call the police but that is self defense so very difference. Even government investigators are not allowed to do fishing for crooks, by law, by the way.
I’m very judgemental of Christians and even I don’t consider shopping this guy a sin. And you do know welfare abuse infuriates a lot of good people.

I don’t feel bad for the guy who got shopped. Everyone cheating should hear this story.

I’m very judgemental of Christians and even I don’t consider shopping this guy a sin. And you do know welfare abuse infuriates a lot of good people.

I don’t feel bad for the guy who got shopped. Everyone cheating should hear this story.

But he was his friend. He could have told him to stop first. That would have been Cristian. Interestingly, true Christian belief would prohibit you from reporting, unless you are in danger from it. Also, government run programs, welfare or other, don't qualify for a good deed as per Christianity, because they are enforced by power instead of given by a community's good will. Not really godly.

But he was his friend. He could have told him to stop first. That would have been Cristian. Interestingly, true Christian belief would prohibit you from reporting, unless you are in danger from it. Also, government run programs, welfare or other, don't qualify for a good deed as per Christianity, because they are enforced by power instead of given by a community's good will. Not really godly.
I disagree. We started welfare to help ww2 widows and orphans and I’m sure they argued it was the Christian thing to do.

Oh, and you just proved my point. You Christians don’t even view welfare as the christianly thing to do. You just said it yourself. People like you don’t even like seeing people buying food with foodstamps let alone “shopping” them? You just answered your own question why he shopped him. He hates welfare

Clearly he wasn’t his friend. Not everyone at church is your friend

-- Shannon L. Alder​
Note:
While I have in this post responded to distinct parts of the passage immediately below, be aware that due to the interrelationship among the ideas, my separate remarks in this post must also be taken both as discrete and in total. Too, the outline structure of this post, as always, is important to one's aptly understanding my remarks.
Interesting that you believe that when you make an enemy out of your friend, you think you can protect yourself by ignoring him. Plus there is the problem of self righteousness which the Bible warns against.
This yet another instance in this conversation of your having somehow managed to get into your mind things I neither said nor implied. Others being:
you got paid money for reporting him
Where did you get the notion that I got paid money for reporting him?

That wasn't in the OP and I didn't introduce it, either directly or obliquely via the content to which I linked.

the fact that he was your friend before you un friended him for this, will weld your life and his life together as one forever
Given the timeline of events given in your OP:
  1. Person A and I live our pre-friendship lives.
  2. I and Person A become friends.
  3. I discover Person A unlawfully trafficking in food stamps.
  4. I report the offense and divest myself of the friendship on account of the discovery.
The only thing that will forever be true is that there was a period of time during which Person A and I were friends. That is very different from our lives being "welded together as one forever."​

I don't know whether you're being willfully equivocal or believe your inferences and "out of left field" assertions/premises were indeed among the parameters of the scenario or among the remarks I shared.

you think you can protect yourself by ignoring him.
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.
-- James 1:2​

Excuse me?
  • What did I write that insinuates in your mind that thoughts of self-protection are what I think I achieve by ignoring him?
    • And where did this notion of "ignoring him" come from? That's something you conjured, not something I explicitly or implicitly implied. What I wrote was quite clear:
      [I would] divest myself of the friendship
      In the minds of any sensible observers, there would be, from the point of my reporting him, no "weld," as you say; there'd be a "weld" that broke.
      Much as I may rue and miss the nature and benefits of a former friendship, the prospect of missing such is insufficient for me to compromise myself, my character as I desire it to be, for such things.
  • From what do you imagine I'm protecting myself?
The course of action I told you I'd take is merely what I'd do because I don't care to be party to the behavior the former friend finds acceptable. Self-protection has nothing to do with it. Being true to myself has everything to do with it.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
-- Matthew 7:6
there is the problem of self righteousness which the Bible warns against.
Look, you asked how I'd handle a given matter, and I gave you a direct answer to your question and I explained why I would report the offence.
Nowhere in the course of doing so did I intimate that pridefully would I "shout from the highest mountain" (figuratively or literally) the fact that I did so; moreover, you'll recall I wrote of what observers would see with regard to the nature of the person's and my interactions/friendships, not what I'd to them say about it.
In the minds of any sensible observers, there would be, from the point of my reporting him, no "weld," as you say; there'd be a "weld" that broke.
Even those strong in their character or convictions can become weak if they allow a steady flow of lies and corruption to permeate their lives.

Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."
-- 1 Corinthians 15:33​

Forum List

Back