Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

Again the language in the constitution is vague. Meaning that it's open to interpretation.

I dislike these gimmicky solutions to fundamental problems.

Having said that I dislike not paying back bonds, or destroying everybody's 401k, or demolishing social security, or a global depression, or any of a 100 foreseen or unforseen consequences of a default. That's why avoid risking it on ambiguous law is worth it.

The legislative branch has the power of the purse. I agree with that even when I vehemently disagree with how they sometimes use it. This however is not about the power of the purse.

This is about one Congress REFUSING to take responsibility for what ALL previous Congresses did, in the process hurting the entire world. That is NOT ok. And I dare you to argue against it.

The language in the Constitution is not vague. Article I is pretty clear that only Congress can issue debt.

Everyone knows this, which is why we get this stupid kabuki dance about the 14th amendment.

The reality is if the Treasury tried to issue new debt without Congressional approval NOBODY WOULD BUY IT!

It's about income. Their are 2 ways to balance a budget not one . One is to decrease spending the other is by increasing revenue.

And when you say useless what is to you useless.

The government provides certain services. Sometimes they benefit a person directly sometimes indirectly, sometimes not at all. But they all benefit someone.

I have no problem acknowledging that it is sometimes wasteful. But most of the time it usefull and even essential.

You want to discuss which is which fine. But don't tell me that your opinion is the only valid one.
And that assumes that balancing the budget is an imperative.

It's not. Never has been

No, it means I'm against blatant partisan showmanship from either end.

Does your question mean you support the damage this can cause?
It couldn't possibly cause any damage if Democrats agree to spending cuts. Republicans have already passed a debt ceiling increase. The Senate and Biden need to man up and pass it into law. It's on them.

Who says? You talk about spending when you discuss a budget. Not when you need to pay the debt you have already taken on. That was why I asked my question that you refused to answer.

The Democrats voted FOR raising the debt ceiling THREE times under Trump. This despite him increasing the debt more than any other president before him.

Just for shits and giggles let's see what the previous president and presumptive nominee for the GOP said about the debt ceiling.

Democrats refuse to talk about cutting spending. That's why this has to be done. In fact, Democrats have already submitted a 2024 budget with zero cuts.

Oh. It is fiscally responsible to both spend less and take in less revenue?

So in a household the only way to avoid debt is by spending less and not for instance getting a better job so you can earn more?
Who said anything about taking in less revenue?

Republicans passed a bill to raise the debt ceiling. All you lefties are bitching about Republicans not wanting to raise the debt ceiling and yet they are the only ones who actually passed a bill to do so.
The problem is they should have raised the debt ceiling when they passed the budget. As Biden explained, the debt ceiling increase is to pay the debt from past budgets.

Boggles my mind that the left believe that the rich can come up with 32 trillion dollars, not to even mention the fact that if the rich could come up with 32 trillion dollars, lefties would spend another 64 trillion dollars.
Did anyone say we have to pay down that debt?
No
Did you not get shown that we still carry the entire cost of WWII on the books?
Yes
Are you an idiot?
Yes

Now if they had only done that with there was Repub sitting in the White House...but alas
The fact is the only way we can be fiscally responsible as a country is to have a Democratic president and a Republican Congress. No other combination works. So, shouldn't we take advantage of how the stars lined up and cut spending?

Which is why Congress is trying to do something about the budget because Democrats refuse to even talk about cutting spending.
Bullshit. If they wanted to do something about the budget they would have when they CONTROLLED Congress

Again the language in the constitution is vague. Meaning that it's open to interpretation.

I dislike these gimmicky solutions to fundamental problems.

Having said that I dislike not paying back bonds, or destroying everybody's 401k, or demolishing social security, or a global depression, or any of a 100 foreseen or unforseen consequences of a default. That's why avoid risking it on ambiguous law is worth it.

The legislative branch has the power of the purse. I agree with that even when I vehemently disagree with how they sometimes use it. This however is not about the power of the purse.

This is about one Congress REFUSING to take responsibility for what ALL previous Congresses did, in the process hurting the entire world. That is NOT ok. And I dare you to argue against it.
Then let's just talk about cutting spending and do it.

Think about it. Karine Jean-Pierre says:

“You’ve heard from the president multiple times during the last five months. He’s been very clear,” she said. “You’ve heard from the president; you’ve heard from the economic team; you’ve heard from Democrats, the leadership in the House, in the Senate talk — speak to this about the urgency, about Congress actually needing to act and doing their constitutional duty.”

So, if it was set up that it is up to Congress to raise the debt ceiling then that pretty much means that it isn't an automatic thing if they have to decide to do it. So, it is not Congress's Constitutional duty to just raise the debt ceiling automatically because it was set up that they debate it.

Further, I find it fairly amusing that some Democrats want to use the 14th amendment from 1868 to override a law from 1917.

Not to mention, Republicans in the House have already passed a debt ceiling increase. We're waiting on the Senate and Biden to pass it into law.

Each congressman swears an oath to uphold the Constitution.
The 14th say "pay your bills"
Any law that stands in the way of that is unconstitutional.

Can't wait for the GOP to take this to court.

If Congress cut spending...they wouldn't have to raise the debt ceiling.

Its a shame they didn't cut spending while there was a GOP President and they had Congress as well. The reason the stalemate exists is that the same folks who agreed to raise the debt ceiling every time it needed to be done under the blob...suddenly have decided to change course.

Please give us your lame assed excuse for why the GOP is now behaving differently--they were in the majority in the House under Trump....they are in the majority in the House now. Why the change?
This is May of 2023. The past is history. We don't have a time machine yet to go back. What we need to do is get serious about the debt now instead of the mentality of thinking in the past as a reason for not talking about it now.

Then let's just talk about cutting spending and do it.
And the time to do that is during the budget process...NOT when talking about paying existing bills.

We have done this in the past and it affected our credit rating and COST money

Bullshit. If they wanted to do something about the budget they would have when they CONTROLLED Congress
Republicans can't govern.
Just look at the messes in Florida and Texas when they try.
Bitching and moaning about Democrats is the only page in their playbook.

Forum List

Back