Is it "Congress's" Constitutional Duty To Raise The Debt Ceiling?

Well, I mean "yes", they spent the money so they have the responsibility to pay the bills they ran up. Since the GOP will never agree to a tax increase, the only option is to borrow money.
LOL. No wonder we are at a stalemate. You refuse to even consider cutting spending, which is why we are at where we are at, your absolute refusal to cut spending.

LOL. No wonder we are at a stalemate. You refuse to even consider cutting spending, which is why we are at where we are at, your absolute refusal to cut spending.
You want to cut spending?

A. You should have done it in the past under Trump when you had Congress. You didn't. You're not serious OR honest

B . If cutting spending has merit...do it the way it's supposed to be done. In the budget process....not with a gun to the head of our economy. If it has merit...it should be easy

No problem when Trump was spending like a drunken sailor...

Biden has cut Government borrowing each year in office...

This is utter bullshit... You are total hypocrite, no problem if the Orange lad ass does it but is going mental now...

Democratic President reduce the deficit and GOP President increase for the last 40 years..
babbling.gif

:itsok:

It costs more to build / build something back up than destroy it.

The GOP is willing to raise the debt

Biden is unwilling to reduce spending
Who says? You talk about spending when you discuss a budget. Not when you need to pay the debt you have already taken on. That was why I asked my question that you refused to answer.

The Democrats voted FOR raising the debt ceiling THREE times under Trump. This despite him increasing the debt more than any other president before him.

Just for shits and giggles let's see what the previous president and presumptive nominee for the GOP said about the debt ceiling.

There is no damn reason why this country has to go in debt. The goddamn US Federal government spends more money than the GDP of all but two other countries on earth.

The only fiscally responsible thing to do is spend less money and to tax less.
Oh. It is fiscally responsible to both spend less and take in less revenue?

So in a household the only way to avoid debt is by spending less and not for instance getting a better job so you can earn more?

THAT should happen during the budget negotiating process, not when you are about paying the bill.
Are you not going to pay a credit card bill until you come up with a budget?
"I'm not going to pay my credit card bill this month, until I come up with a budget for next month".
Guess what the credit card company would reply to that?
But Biden has already sent his budget proposal in for 2024 with zero cuts. So, he will not negotiate to cut spending.

Who says? You talk about spending when you discuss a budget. Not when you need to pay the debt you have already taken on. That was why I asked my question that you refused to answer.

The Democrats voted FOR raising the debt ceiling THREE times under Trump. This despite him increasing the debt more than any other president before him.

Just for shits and giggles let's see what the previous president and presumptive nominee for the GOP said about the debt ceiling.

Can you agree that only congress can raise the debt?

That means its not a rubber stamp

Ya gotta love Republicans

"I know we fucked up over and over in the past but THIS TIME...we're gonna get it right because THIS TIME we actually care about the debt unlike all those other times that we just claimed we did"
And yet your side refused to even talk about cutting spending and has, in fact, submitted a budget for 2024 with zero spending cuts.

14th Amendment

Section 4​

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED

That's in the Constitution
Which means Yellen has to pay the debt before things like Obamacare, or the military. She also cannot issue new debt. Only Congress can do that.

WTF?
You're a moron.
They do THAT during the budget process, idiot.
This is about paying a bill.

The debt limit is the total amount of money that the United States government is authorized to borrow to meet its existing legal obligations, including Social Security and Medicare benefits, military salaries, interest on the national debt, tax refunds, and other payments.

The debt limit does not authorize new spending commitments. It simply allows the government to finance existing legal obligations that Congresses and presidents of both parties have made in the past.

Yeah, with NO tax cuts, teabaggers wouldn't have anything to run on.
Biden has already submitted a 2024 budget with zero cuts in spending.

The "funny" thing is that the party trying to "leverage them into it" could have done it on their own when they had the chance...but didn't. This happened under Obama and under Bush.

They only care about the debt when the Dems can be blamed for the resulting bad economy
Do you want spending cuts or not?

Forum List

Back