Is Linux as good as many people say??

I don't have a web server and I use Linux so that makes you wrong.
I said linux is for web servers. If you use it for your PC, that's ok, but it's also silly. It's for web servers.
You work on/with servers........ With the PC OS applications you're definitely out of your league.......... Especially making a know nothing comment like you just did. :thup:
Yes, I work, hence a PC running linux is useless. Worse yet for play. There's no software... still... since the 90s. Again, only a few nerds and a tiny sales department at Oracle are willing to say Ubuntu is a PC OS. I might know nothing on the matter, but my advice for anyone who has to ask is that they should use Linux for their web server, not a PC.

If it makes you feel better, I think the same thing about windows servers.
Based on what you just posted you're clueless, simple as that. When was the last time you even looked at Ubuntu/Mint?
What are you talking about? I have 14.04 on a VM on this computer I'm on right now.
Yet you think it's silly? Okie dokie......... :lmao:

I cook for web servers, but I use a windows PC.
I said linux is for web servers. If you use it for your PC, that's ok, but it's also silly. It's for web servers.
You work on/with servers........ With the PC OS applications you're definitely out of your league.......... Especially making a know nothing comment like you just did. :thup:
Yes, I work, hence a PC running linux is useless. Worse yet for play. There's no software... still... since the 90s. Again, only a few nerds and a tiny sales department at Oracle are willing to say Ubuntu is a PC OS. I might know nothing on the matter, but my advice for anyone who has to ask is that they should use Linux for their web server, not a PC.

Out of the top 500 supercomputers in the world...all but 16 run Linux.
Only good for web servers...too funny.
Pixar movies - all Linux
International Space Station....Linux
Military satellite and recon systems - Linux
Traffic control systems (Airline) - Linux
Android - Built on Linux

Only good for webservers.... YOU ---> :spinner:
None of these are PCs. All of them are servers. Android uses the Linux Kernel.

Based on what you just posted you're clueless, simple as that. When was the last time you even looked at Ubuntu/Mint?
What are you talking about? I have 14.04 on a VM on this computer I'm on right now.
Yes. Of course, I have it on here as a web server. Again: What are you talking about?

Yes. Of course, I have it on here as a web server. Again: What are you talking about?
Short term memory issues?

nb-vsv-brain-support-softgels.jpg

I shouldn't lump you in with my linux-luvvin dev. He's got a sense of humor about it. He only needs to walk 10-15 feet to run Adobe Suite on a non-linux machine.
If he needs Adobe and doesn't want to buy a Mac. LibreOffice is very good. So is Gimp. Darktable and so on. I haven't seen anything from them that works like Krita though.

Pixar movies - all Linux
Android - Built on Linux

Wrong again.
They are whole systems...you know the difference between a server and a system?
You know the difference between embedded applications and servers?
You know that none of those I mentioned are webservers?
Unless you go camping in the wilderness you cannot possibly live a single day without coming in contact with something that runs on Linux. It is is everywhere.
And saying they are only good for webservers shows your lack of depth of knowledge.

Pixar movies - all Linux
Android - Built on Linux

Wrong again.
Unless you go camping in the wilderness you cannot possibly live a single day without coming in contact with something that runs on Linux. It is is everywhere.
And saying they are only good for webservers shows your lack of depth of knowledge.
You can draw as much as you'd like from a sentence.

A webserver is just a server running apache as far as I'm concerned. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer a linux server far and away. Most of that daily interaction you tout is because linux is the most common OS on web servers, not because they're everyone's choice for pers computing. They're doing like Lindsey Graham in that department because it's not their focus.

Again, if anyone has to ask about linux vs. windows for a PC, they should just run windows. If server nerds want to run linux on their PC.. ok. I think it's as silly as voting for Lindsey Graham, but it's ok.

Pixar movies - all Linux
Android - Built on Linux

Wrong again.

A webserver is just a server running apache as far as I'm concerned. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer a linux server far and away. Most of that daily interaction you tout is because linux is the most common OS on web servers, not because they're everyone's choice for pers computing. They're doing like Lindsey Graham in that department because it's not their focus.

Again, if anyone has to ask about linux vs. windows for a PC, they should just run windows. If server nerds want to run linux on their PC.. ok. I think it's as silly as voting for Lindsey Graham, but it's ok.

Pretty stupid statement but hey, it's a free country, you're allowed to be as ignorant and biased as you like. :thup:

I shouldn't lump you in with my linux-luvvin dev. He's got a sense of humor about it. He only needs to walk 10-15 feet to run Adobe Suite on a non-linux machine.
If he needs Adobe and doesn't want to buy a Mac. LibreOffice is very good. So is Gimp. Darktable and so on. I haven't seen anything from them that works like Krita though.
Now, you're going to dig up all my compuprejudices. No macs in the office.

The Adobe thing is due to my flagship client, but I used to run it in the macromedia days. Edge Animate is the only best-of-class they have now.

I have't tried Krita. Need to check that out. I've mopped up many a pro graphic designer using Inkscape. I think that will run on a potato.

Unconscious incompetency...look that up sometime. It will do you some good.
Advice...stay out of threads you know little about. Now you might be a newly tech grad and think you know everything - but you clearly don't.
The daily interaction you have with Linux is not just the internet. The stoplights you drive thru everyday...the gas pump...your refrigerator...not saying ALL of these are Linux, but many-many-many are. Linux is a fantastic choice for embedded systems because you can start with a tiny-tiny kernel and build the application only what you need.
Linux as embedded sytems are absolutely everywhere...that is the contact I am referring to.

And BTW - the best firewall anywhere is one few have ever heard of...because no one can make money off of it. Check it out - Floppy firewall.
The reason that it is so good is that the entire system is in RAM...the computer purposefully has no Hard Drive or writable memory. Why is that good? Because they cannot be hacked into because there is no write able memory, as well as the "OS" is extremely small...only recognizing a handful of commands. Bullet proof.

You're stuck on a stupid loop. You've offered no reason to run Windows and I can only assume because it's good for your pockets, like a lot of fan bois. Linux is free, if you can do what all you need that makes you a fool to do otherwise. That's called logic, which is in short supply with you.

The Adobe thing is due to my flagship client, but I used to run it in the macromedia days. Edge Animate is the only best-of-class they have now.

I have't tried Krita. Need to check that out. I've mopped up many a pro graphic designer using Inkscape. I think that will run on a potato.
Krita is a paint program, designed specifically for it. Photoshop isn't designed as a paint program so I can do much more of what I want. Inkscape is vector. I used it to design parts of my business card Corel x5 couldn't do. And since it's free too you'd need to explain why someone like me should pay for an OS to run it.

You can't because you're full of hot air.

Krita is a paint program, designed specifically for it. Photoshop isn't designed as a paint program so I can do much more of what I want. Inkscape is vector. I used it to design parts of my business card Corel x5 couldn't do. And since it's free too you'd need to explain why someone like me should pay for an OS to run it.

You can't because you're full of hot air.
I also suggest to people - who have to ask - that they should buy their PCs preconfigured with at least an operating system. This is 2015.

Inkscape's goodness transcends free. I don't paint hardly anything, but I still like Paint Shop Pro.

I also suggest to people - who have to ask - that they should buy their PCs preconfigured with at least an operating system. This is 2015.

Bad advice. No matter the year.
Pre-configured means bloatware. Bloatware means slower computer with lots of unwanted/annoying programs whose basic purpose is to spy on your use, track your surfing and sell that info to anyone wanting it.

Yes, people buying computers want an operating system and probably don't know there's any options other than a Mac. This is 2015 and people are learning about alternatives and finding out they don't have to pray towards Redmond.

Ya know, I missed the VM reference here..... Hell dud, you can't even get full Windows functionality in VM without tweaking code and even then.......
If you want to honestly discuss Linux operating systems you need to use it as a primary or secondary (dual boot) otherwise your exposure is limited leading to an obvious mis-derived bias.

Ya know, I missed the VM reference here..... Hell dud, you can't even get full Windows functionality in VM without tweaking code and even then.......
If you want to honestly discuss Linux operating systems you need to use it as a primary or secondary (dual boot) otherwise your exposure is limited leading to an obvious mis-derived bias.
:thup: We have 2 linux boxes and 3 laptops with the Ubuntu VM setup. Linux for me is about bashing commands to a web server. My top dev swears by it as an GUI OS, but he's cuban, I guess they're 100% linux down there.

It might be mis-derived, but I think using Linux as a pedestrian OS is like drinking pig's milk. Why, because bacon's tasty? Gross!

:thup: We have 2 linux boxes and 3 laptops with the Ubuntu VM setup. Linux for me is about bashing commands to a web server. My top dev swears by it as an GUI OS, but he's cuban, I guess they're 100% linux down there.

It might be mis-derived, but I think using Linux as a pedestrian OS is like drinking pig's milk. Why, because bacon's tasty? Gross!
Again, you're talking from a position of (extremely) limited knowledge but hey, don't let that stop your exercise in self foot chewing, it's actually quite amusing. :thup:

Forum List

Back