Is political affiliation a protected class?

No, because being protected against all those things is in our civil rights, but, if you protect those things, why not political speech and ideology?

These days, you can be attacked, silenced, and hated because of who you support. Why not add those to the list of protected class.

I get the feeling some people don't want that to be protected so they can freely engage in hate speech without consequence.

Isn't what you want is to protect what many consider hate speech?

There are already laws against physical assaults. That covers you being attacked and silenced. If people hate you, there is nothing to be done by anyone but you. And really, the fact that people hate you is none of your business. You live your life and let them live theirs.

Why would you advertise being gay? You don't have to tell anyone, right? It's because being gay is protected, you don't have to hide it, and for the same reason, I'm wondering why your right to be who you want to be politically has to be hidden.

Why should someone who wears a Biden hat, or shirt, be free to show their support, but someone who wears a Trump hat can get attacked in public and be called a racist and other things?

Again, I think many are against this idea because in today's climate, it benefits the left to be able to engage in political hate speech.

Both sides engage in verbal assault on the other. Or do you think "Let's go, Brandon" is a term of endearment.

I am against all the hostility shown in today's society. I think it starts online, where people can say whatever they want without consequences.

Why would you advertise being gay? You don't have to tell anyone, right? It's because being gay is protected, you don't have to hide it, and for the same reason, I'm wondering why your right to be who you want to be politically has to be hidden.

Why should someone who wears a Biden hat, or shirt, be free to show their support, but someone who wears a Trump hat can get attacked in public and be called a racist and other things?

Again, I think many are against this idea because in today's climate, it benefits the left to be able to engage in political hate speech.
You can do whatever you want.

IMO we have a secret ballot for a reason.

You can do whatever you want.

IMO we have a secret ballot for a reason.
I dunno. There are obvious problems with the notion, but I do like the idea of people being held accountable for their votes. eg if you vote for a President who trashes the oval office, you should have to help pick up the tab for the cleanup. ;)

Not what I said at all. But the owners of those social media platforms wrote the rules that members must follow.
Yes, but social media platforms are banning people based on ideology. Are you saying that's ok?

The question is not why wouldn't it. But why would it.

If no one is threatening to take away your ability to vote, you are able to support anyone you choose. What you are talking about is that you want to talk about it to people you know don't agree with you. Why would that be protected?
No. It doesn't have to be someone talking about their ideology. It can be simply wearing a hat and someone wants to get into a fight with you over it, or a business can refuse to serve you.

The thing is this "you can be attacked, silenced, and hated" is just normal discourse.

Freedom of speech is freedom to say what you want as opposed to government restrictions. It's not about people telling you to be quiet.

If you can't use Twitter, for example, you can still say what you like. Go to China, you can't use Twitter, and you can't say what you like about it either, it'll end up with you in prison. In the US you won't end up in prison.

You're trying to make out that "being silenced" by someone who says "your argument is crap" somehow needs protection.
But if you were one of the listed protected classes, you wouldn't say it's normal discourse.

For example, you all agree that gay rights is protected...but why would someone's personal choice to live their life have more protection than someone's desire to openly support and show support for a political party?

Isn't what you want is to protect what many consider hate speech?

There are already laws against physical assaults. That covers you being attacked and silenced. If people hate you, there is nothing to be done by anyone but you. And really, the fact that people hate you is none of your business. You live your life and let them live theirs.
Seriously? We just had a whole hate speech bill just get passed, even though there are laws against physical violence etc.

No. It doesn't have to be someone talking about their ideology. It can be simply wearing a hat and someone wants to get into a fight with you over it, or a business can refuse to serve you.

Simple cure is to take off the hat. Those who oppose it so vehemently have their reasons too.

You want to be able to force your views into other people's faces, and then be immune to any consequences.

But if you were one of the listed protected classes, you wouldn't say it's normal discourse.

For example, you all agree that gay rights is protected...but why would someone's personal choice to live their life have more protection than someone's desire to openly support and show support for a political party?

Why do you think being gay is a "personal choice"? I don't recall personally choosing to be straight.

Seriously? We just had a whole hate speech bill just get passed, even though there are laws against physical violence etc.

And one of the reasons you face such harassment is your leader saying things like "I'm sure some of them are fine people".

Again, because if someone is born with something, it's different that if they've decided this is their thing.

And you also are failing to recognize that, even though you think they shouldn't exist, they DO exist, and there are people who are treated differently, unfairly, and often poorly because of who they vote for. Do you believe that kind of persecution should be allowed to continue? You think it's OK for people to be harassed because they are a Biden voter...or a Trump voter? Do you think employers should be allowed to treat you differently because of what you believe?
And herein lies the core problem. As couch already stated there are too many protected classes, not too few. If you are going to base this on harm then there is no limiting factor here on your principal. At what point does this 'harassment' become something that is no longer sufficient to drive special protected status? Drawing that line is nigh impossible as there will ALWAYS be another set of people that feel as though they should have these special protections extended to them and they will always be able to show some sort of harm from not having them. Contention and division is just a fact of life.

Even if you could draw that line, and I maintain you cannot, government can always be counted on rolling that line back adding to an ever growing list of protected classes. We have far to much of a victim mentality in this nation now, we do not need to add to it.

It is also worth noting that political activity is the very last thing you really want to be protected as it stifles real engagement. The very nature of being a protected class means that others cannot challenge you on that particular aspect of your beliefs. That is what having them protected means. Sometimes that challenge goes to far however that is the price that society must pay in order to maintain the free exchange of ideas. That principal is far more important than anything relating to protected classes.

Based on ideology? Or based on violations of the rules they have posted?
Based on ideology, since the "rules" they set up are basically a way to suppress only republicans. Notice how you don't see any dems being banned? It's because nothing they could say would ever be considered a violation of the ruled. It's only one party being silenced because the left leaning social media platforms have made their own determinations as to what "misinformation" is, which is simply questioning or speaking against the democrats.

Simple cure is to take off the hat. Those who oppose it so vehemently have their reasons too.

You want to be able to force your views into other people's faces, and then be immune to any consequences.
No, I don't want to force my views on anyone, but I also want for people to be able to support their politics without harassment. People shouldn't have to take off a hat, other people should have enough respect to ignore the person wearing their political garb and leave them alone. Those who oppose it should do so in silence, as it is a person's right to support whom they will.

And yes, you should be able to support your politics without fear of consequence. That's why I'm asking the question if political beliefs should be protected.

Again, I think your tone would change if it were dems being attacked for wearing Biden clothing. If that happened, you'd be calling for action.

Why do you think being gay is a "personal choice"? I don't recall personally choosing to be straight.
Why do you think someone's beliefs are a personal choice? What people believe in are a part of who they are at the core of their being.

Forum List

Back