Is political affiliation a protected class?

What persecution are you talking about? You keep using that word, but not defining the persecution.

per·se·cu·tion
[ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSH(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. hostility and ill-treatment, especially on the basis of ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation or political beliefs:

What persecution are you talking about? You keep using that word, but not defining the persecution.
So, having someone want to attack you in a restaurant if you wear a maga, or Biden hat, being unfairly treated at work because if politics, if your company is "woke" (which many are), having the president label millions of citizens as a threat to the country, being canceled or banned from media platforms due to your politics.

per·se·cu·tion
[ˌpərsəˈkyo͞oSH(ə)n]

NOUN
  1. hostility and ill-treatment, especially on the basis of ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation or political beliefs:

I know the definition. But what I am asking is whether you mean arguments and name-calling or actual physical violence?

Okay, let's run with your idea that anyone's political belief should be respected.
Johnny thinks we should keep black people in a ghetto, that we should make them work for free. We feed them scraps, don't educated them, don't let them into white people shops, don't let them be a part of white people society.

And we need to protect this?
That doesn't even make sense, that is racism and discrimination, not a political view.

So, having someone want to attack you in a restaurant if you wear a maga, or Biden hat, being unfairly treated at work because if politics, if your company is "woke" (which many are), having the president label millions of citizens as a threat to the country, being canceled or banned from media platforms due to your politics.

If someone tries to attack you, have them arrested and prosecute them. If you think you are being treated unfairly, contact the Labor Board.

If you read the rules on social media platforms, they are pretty clear what is allowed or not allowed. But remember, those media platforms are private property.

Should you have to hide that?

It is not about hiding anything. You are at work to work, not share your political views. And it sounds like you think being disruptive at work is your right.

Many years ago I was a GM at a hotel. Periodically there would be conflicts between employees. I gave the same speech to them.

"If you like the people you work with, that is great. If you don't, that is tough. You are here to work. Do your job and don't worry about the rest of it."

If someone tries to attack you, have them arrested and prosecute them. If you think you are being treated unfairly, contact the Labor Board.

If you read the rules on social media platforms, they are pretty clear what is allowed or not allowed. But remember, those media platforms are private property.
So, you're saying that a private business can refuse service to anyone they want?

It is not about hiding anything. You are at work to work, not share your political views. And it sounds like you think being disruptive at work is your right.

Many years ago I was a GM at a hotel. Periodically there would be conflicts between employees. I gave the same speech to them.

"If you like the people you work with, that is great. If you don't, that is tough. You are here to work. Do your job and don't worry about the rest of it."
I'm not just talking only at work, I'm talking about in all things. Why wouldn't your right to politically support someone not be protected like any other class?

End of conversation then.
No, because being protected against all those things is in our civil rights, but, if you protect those things, why not political speech and ideology?

These days, you can be attacked, silenced, and hated because of who you support. Why not add those to the list of protected class.

I get the feeling some people don't want that to be protected so they can freely engage in hate speech without consequence.

You don't have if you don't want to. But why would you advertise who you voted for?
Why would you advertise being gay? You don't have to tell anyone, right? It's because being gay is protected, you don't have to hide it, and for the same reason, I'm wondering why your right to be who you want to be politically has to be hidden.

Why should someone who wears a Biden hat, or shirt, be free to show their support, but someone who wears a Trump hat can get attacked in public and be called a racist and other things?

Again, I think many are against this idea because in today's climate, it benefits the left to be able to engage in political hate speech.

I'm not just talking only at work, I'm talking about in all things. Why wouldn't your right to politically support someone not be protected like any other class?

The question is not why wouldn't it. But why would it.

If no one is threatening to take away your ability to vote, you are able to support anyone you choose. What you are talking about is that you want to talk about it to people you know don't agree with you. Why would that be protected?

Maybe now we can all better appreciate the folly of establishing "protected classes" in the first place.

No, because being protected against all those things is in our civil rights, but, if you protect those things, why not political speech and ideology?

These days, you can be attacked, silenced, and hated because of who you support. Why not add those to the list of protected class.

I get the feeling some people don't want that to be protected so they can freely engage in hate speech without consequence.

The thing is this "you can be attacked, silenced, and hated" is just normal discourse.

Freedom of speech is freedom to say what you want as opposed to government restrictions. It's not about people telling you to be quiet.

If you can't use Twitter, for example, you can still say what you like. Go to China, you can't use Twitter, and you can't say what you like about it either, it'll end up with you in prison. In the US you won't end up in prison.

You're trying to make out that "being silenced" by someone who says "your argument is crap" somehow needs protection.

Forum List

Back