Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?

To to understand the Bible, you need the Holy Spirit," is an insufficient answer. Because every one of those denominational adherents would insist that they arrived at their interpretation by "the Holy Spirit". This is why interpretation is an insufficient response to the question of reconciling the uncomfortable parts of the Bible. Either The Bible is what it is - an accurate, perfect record of God through ancient times - or it isn't. There is no room for any interpretive middle ground.
There is no room for a middle ground except if what the church teaches is the Holy Spirit is not the same thing as the Spirit of truth, Paraclete, Comforter, or Advocate, (depending on the translation) that Jesus predicted would be sent by God to do some very specific things, John 16:7-15, that to this day have not yet been done.

That creates a firmament that has never been stood on before.

The whole mighty wind blowing the doors open and tongues of fire appearing at Pentecost that settled like a flame - above each of their heads - sounds more like a whoosh event more than the fulfillment of what Jesus foretold, aside from the fact that it is a violation of divine law to seek the guidance of a ghost which a Jewish Messiah would never advise his followers to do....
And who, other than you, claims to have had this miraculous event to open their eyes? Or are you saying that you are different from everyone else, and your version is the only "true version"?
lol..

You have a touch of a napoleon complex do you..

You misunderstood. The whoosh event during Pentecost was about something being said, by tongues of fire, that went over the apostles heads.

Nothing miraculous about that at all.

They didn't understand a word of what Jesus said when he was alive explaining himself till he was blue in the face... They still didn't understand a few weeks later. How hard is that to believe?
Oh, not at all hard, considering here we are 2,000 years late, and there are now over 30,000 versions of this stupid story. So what? All that does is indicate that probably none of them - including yours, whatever it may be - is the correct version.

Why say something out loud if no one is there? Unless you're a little bit :cuckoo:

And was he talking English? Hebrew? ...

How do you know God said it aloud? Consider: If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there, will there be a sound?
It says on page fuckng ONE of the bible, god said "let there be light". When Superman wants to fly, he doesnt say out loud "let me fly", he just flies. See what I'm saying?

you are trying to interpret an inaccurate translation VA YOMER------does not exactly indicate "GOD" TALKING
It is translated as "and 'god' said'-----<<<< not precise.
the VA YOMER word is a really weird tense in Hebrew-----
which kinda indicates an ongoing situation that happened sorta in the mystical mist----something like INTENT for the
aleph mem resh word-----which in simple tenses does suggest talking

Now that statement brings up some points that have been and shall remain a mystery to many. Why do you think that is? (even take a wild guess as you do seem to try to think things through
The only rational explanation is that the Bible is nothing more than a very human attempt to create an ethical code, wrapped in superstition, and religious trappings to make it seem more valid. By abandoning the literal approach to the bible, this allows anyone with an agenda, or an axe to grind to claim divine counselling, and interpret Bible in whatever way fits their agenda, or goal.

On an interesting side note about the Hebrew language from my experience of searching trying to understand the meanings to all the names and such. I found ancient Hebrew is written with words inside of words. One could spend a lifetime even if taught the Hebrew language as a child learning even a small portion of all of that and many through the centuries have and still there is so much more to be discovered in the ancient things.
Not entirely accurate. More accurately, ancient Hebrew built on itself. primitive root words were used as templates in creating the more complex language, and a great deal of the language was contextual, with very similar words having very different meanings, depending on just how the word fit into the sentence structure.

It is a rather complicated, and complex language. I much prefer translating the new Testament. While a bit complex, Greek is a thousand times easier to deal with than Hebrew.
Do children and adults all have the same levels of maturity in this world?
What a silly question. You are obviously suggesting, "When I was a child, I thought like a child..." blah, blah, blah. The problem is that, were this an adequate response to my observation, the number of denominations would be dwindling, as man mature, and came to see "the true way". Except that isn't what is happening. If anything the Christian sects are becoming more fractured as more, and more different interpretations of the bible come to light.
Eternity isn't over yet now is it?
That's a cop out, and you know it. Your response doesn't even come close to explaining away the reality that the interpretive approach to the Bible only serves to obscure, and confuse, and complicate the Bible. Ockhham's Razor - the simplest solution. Well, the simplest solution is that the only correct way to approach the Bible is literally. It says what it says, and it means what it means. Otherwise, all you get is the confused, complicated clusterfuck that you Christians have created surrounding the Bible.
No just a simple explanation to that which you cannot comprehend. Everything has patterns in the world and in the spirit. From a point of view which you are taking you could also say that the universe has an end somewhere all the while believing that if you keep looking you may be able to find where it ends. You are the one that cannot disprove or prove the spirit so it apparently bothers you even though many people have seen events occur in the spirit and have testified to it. Keep on keeping on as you cannot control the spirit so you just bitch about what you cannot grasp. Which is also on you. All you can do is get heated and frustrate your self. Perhaps one day you'll stop and ask yourself was it all worth it (getting your own head afire).

To to understand the Bible, you need the Holy Spirit," is an insufficient answer. Because every one of those denominational adherents would insist that they arrived at their interpretation by "the Holy Spirit". This is why interpretation is an insufficient response to the question of reconciling the uncomfortable parts of the Bible. Either The Bible is what it is - an accurate, perfect record of God through ancient times - or it isn't. There is no room for any interpretive middle ground.
There is no room for a middle ground except if what the church teaches is the Holy Spirit is not the same thing as the Spirit of truth, Paraclete, Comforter, or Advocate, (depending on the translation) that Jesus predicted would be sent by God to do some very specific things, John 16:7-15, that to this day have not yet been done.

That creates a firmament that has never been stood on before.

The whole mighty wind blowing the doors open and tongues of fire appearing at Pentecost that settled like a flame - above each of their heads - sounds more like a whoosh event more than the fulfillment of what Jesus foretold, aside from the fact that it is a violation of divine law to seek the guidance of a ghost which a Jewish Messiah would never advise his followers to do....
And who, other than you, claims to have had this miraculous event to open their eyes? Or are you saying that you are different from everyone else, and your version is the only "true version"?
lol..

You have a touch of a napoleon complex do you..

You misunderstood. The whoosh event during Pentecost was about something being said, by tongues of fire, that went over the apostles heads.

Nothing miraculous about that at all.

They didn't understand a word of what Jesus said when he was alive explaining himself till he was blue in the face... They still didn't understand a few weeks later. How hard is that to believe?
Oh, not at all hard, considering here we are 2,000 years late, and there are now over 30,000 versions of this stupid story. So what? All that does is indicate that probably none of them - including yours, whatever it may be - is the correct version.

Probably none of them - including yours, whatever it may be - is the correct version?

lol....Pretty shoddy science if you ask me....

I suppose according to your standards your stated version probably isn't the correct one either.

Would you like to wager which one, mine or yours, can be proven correct?

BTW, How many Christian converts have you won over so far with your, "its all meaningless bullshit" message?

Last edited:
Nope. Insufficient response. Either the morality of God is timeless, and just as valid today, or it couldn't have come from God. Since Christians believe that God is the “Alpha and Omega”, the God who never changes, then the morality and examples shown in the early Bible would still hold true for us today. You don't get to just discard those moral principles that have become uncomfortable. Not without negating the Bible as a "Divine" source for morality.

And you can't change long ago cultures whose survival depended on an economy/way of life we cannot even fathom today. God is always calling us to greater values. How well are we doing today? I, for one, am not claiming moral superiority.

I have noticed that in several discussions I have with Christians, the point of contention seems to be in attempting to separate the Bible into two parts - the part that must be accepted as accurate (The New Testament), and the part that doesn't (The Old Testament).

So, I have a question. The creation Truth Foundation, in their statement of faith, claims, “The unique divine inspiration of all the canonical books of the Old and New Testaments as originally given, so that they are infallibly and uniquely authoritative and free from error of any sort, in all matters with which they deal, scientific and historical as well as moral and theological.

I would ask the Christians on this forum if they agree with that statement, bearing in mind:

First, they make no distinction between the Old, and the New Testament, and
Second, paying particular attention to the highlighted portion.

Do you want me in on this?

It says on page fuckng ONE of the bible, god said "let there be light". When Superman wants to fly, he doesnt say out loud "let me fly", he just flies. See what I'm saying?

For us to know that Superman is flying, does an author use words to describe to us that Superman is flying? Perhaps try looking at it this way. The author did not describe God creating wire, then electricity, and then a light bulb. The author said God commanded light and there was light. Why do you believe God needed an audience? Don't we often use words in simple thoughts? There is no reason to complicate things. God commanded light and there was light. No audience required.

For us to know that Superman is flying, does an author use words to describe to us that Superman is flying? Perhaps try looking at it this way. The author did not describe God creating wire, then electricity, and then a light bulb. The author said God commanded light and there was light. Why do you believe God needed an audience? Don't we often use words in simple thoughts? There is no reason to complicate things. God commanded light and there was light. No audience required.
The law was spoken into existence as a light to the nations. The story of the creation of heaven and earth is really very uncomplicated already. Of course it matters if you do or don't understand what the story is even about.

Blindness of the audience must be addressed before anyone can see that light.

The only rational explanation is that the Bible is nothing more than a very human attempt to create an ethical code, wrapped in superstition, and religious trappings to make it seem more valid. By abandoning the literal approach to the bible, this allows anyone with an agenda, or an axe to grind to claim divine counselling, and interpret Bible in whatever way fits their agenda, or goal.

Not entirely accurate. More accurately, ancient Hebrew built on itself. primitive root words were used as templates in creating the more complex language, and a great deal of the language was contextual, with very similar words having very different meanings, depending on just how the word fit into the sentence structure.

It is a rather complicated, and complex language. I much prefer translating the new Testament. While a bit complex, Greek is a thousand times easier to deal with than Hebrew.
What a silly question. You are obviously suggesting, "When I was a child, I thought like a child..." blah, blah, blah. The problem is that, were this an adequate response to my observation, the number of denominations would be dwindling, as man mature, and came to see "the true way". Except that isn't what is happening. If anything the Christian sects are becoming more fractured as more, and more different interpretations of the bible come to light.
That's a cop out, and you know it. Your response doesn't even come close to explaining away the reality that the interpretive approach to the Bible only serves to obscure, and confuse, and complicate the Bible. Ockhham's Razor - the simplest solution. Well, the simplest solution is that the only correct way to approach the Bible is literally. It says what it says, and it means what it means. Otherwise, all you get is the confused, complicated clusterfuck that you Christians have created surrounding the Bible.
No just a simple explanation to that which you cannot comprehend. Everything has patterns in the world and in the spirit. From a point of view which you are taking you could also say that the universe has an end somewhere all the while believing that if you keep looking you may be able to find where it ends. You are the one that cannot disprove or prove the spirit so it apparently bothers you even though many people have seen events occur in the spirit and have testified to it. Keep on keeping on as you cannot control the spirit so you just bitch about what you cannot grasp. Which is also on you. All you can do is get heated and frustrate your self. Perhaps one day you'll stop and ask yourself was it all worth it (getting your own head afire).
LOL! You cannot "prove or disprove the spirit", either. You also suck at reading minds. I am neither bothered, nor heated, nor frustrated. Well...I guess I am a little frustrated. But that is because no one seems to want to give straight answers to direct questions. I mean, I get it. After all, my questions put theists in a tight spot. If they say that the Bible is literal, and should be approached as such, then there are some rather...let us say unfortunate...events in the Old Testament that become difficult to reconcile. If they say that the Bible is contextual - only valid in the "context of the time" - then it becomes difficult to defend the Bible as having continued relevance. If they say that the Bible should be approached interpretively, then it becomes impossible to insist that my interpretation is any more, or less valid than any of the other 33,000 interpretations.

As for your people who have "seen things in the spirit", please. People also have seen aliens, giant rabbits, and ghosts. That don't make any of those real, either.

So, I get it. There really isn't a good way to answer that question for theists.

I have noticed that in several discussions I have with Christians, the point of contention seems to be in attempting to separate the Bible into two parts - the part that must be accepted as accurate (The New Testament), and the part that doesn't (The Old Testament).

So, I have a question. The creation Truth Foundation, in their statement of faith, claims, “The unique divine inspiration of all the canonical books of the Old and New Testaments as originally given, so that they are infallibly and uniquely authoritative and free from error of any sort, in all matters with which they deal, scientific and historical as well as moral and theological.

I would ask the Christians on this forum if they agree with that statement, bearing in mind:

First, they make no distinction between the Old, and the New Testament, and
Second, paying particular attention to the highlighted portion.

Do you want me in on this?
Sure, why not?

I mean, I get it. After all, my questions put theists in a tight spot.

Funny how you see us in a tight spot while we, relaxed and comfortable, watch as you tie yourself up in knots over something that you say holds no meaning for you. Whatever it is you are seeking, I hope you find it.

LOL! You cannot "prove or disprove the spirit", either. You also suck at reading minds. I am neither bothered, nor heated, nor frustrated. Well...I guess I am a little frustrated. But that is because no one seems to want to give straight answers to direct questions. I mean, I get it. After all, my questions put theists in a tight spot. If they say that the Bible is literal, and should be approached as such, then there are some rather...let us say unfortunate...events in the Old Testament that become difficult to reconcile. If they say that the Bible is contextual - only valid in the "context of the time" - then it becomes difficult to defend the Bible as having continued relevance. If they say that the Bible should be approached interpretively, then it becomes impossible to insist that my interpretation is any more, or less valid than any of the other 33,000 interpretations.

As for your people who have "seen things in the spirit", please. People also have seen aliens, giant rabbits, and ghosts. That don't make any of those real, either.

So, I get it. There really isn't a good way to answer that question for theists.
A couple things, for one most people cannot tell the difference between what is spiritual and what is flesh. I cannot say I have known in the past or even some times now as I still live in a flesh carnal container. I do know I have seen people faces change right in front of me and asked myself really hard, "Did you really see what you think you saw? Was that real?", I mean who wouldn't unless they were intoxicated or drug and thinking it was from being high.

The Bible was written from a complex language and can be as difficult as one wants to make it. The Books were not written in the same dialect at the same point in time, yet it has a very simple message, obey the commandments, have faith and believe and you will be saved (from the destruction to come, that doesn't mean that we won't die in the flesh). Jesus didn't even require that they believe in every word but even to believe in a portion of it is all he asked as that gave him a way to save them from death. Yet you seem to demand an answer.

Recall what you said several posts back about the Hebrew language? Do you even know what the word Hebrew is referencing? What is the meaning of the word Hebrew and why is it used as a label today? Maybe you had better start there before determining the God's word is flawed or start demeaning others whom you do not understand that you may not be willing to hear even if you were given the answer. Most humans problem is they are afraid to take the plunge as they desire to maintain control. Anyone can stand on a cliff and admit and deny all they want til the cows comes home but that doesn't change the fact that they remain stuck on the cliff.

Who are you to determine what another person saw? Some years back I met a young man I did some work for that lived in a city several hundred miles away. Initially upon meeting him we struck up a conversation after he asked where I was from and he asked if I knew his dad. Six months later I saw his dad and his dad asked me, "What is the natural color of your hair?" I told him and then he asked, "Did you have it a different color when you met my son?" I told him nope it was the same brown as always when I was working down there. He told me his son swore I had blonde hair and they argued about it evidently every time they spoke on the phone with one another. Now, why do people see different things when describing a situation? Because not all people have the same precepts nor do they all see (or hear) the same thing at the same time because we are carnal and spiritual. Two halves in one container, one the Son of God (made of breath of God) and one the son of perdition (the carnal flesh container). If that is more than you can comprehend there is no reason to continue to converse about it. BTW, how many different names do you insist on using for yourself?

Funny how you see us in a tight spot while we, relaxed and comfortable, watch as you tie yourself up in knots over something that you say holds no meaning for you. Whatever it is you are seeking, I hope you find it.
Funny how the only way you can stay relaxed, and comfortable is by not honestly answering the question in the OP. And I'm not tied into anything. I found what I was seeking. Reason, and logic.

Funny how the only way you can stay relaxed, and comfortable is by not honestly answering the question in the OP. And I'm not tied into anything. I found what I was seeking. Reason, and logic.

The response was honest. Part of the problem you have is that your approach is similar to someone asking how the rules of bowling apply to football. After all, they are both sports. When people try to explain the differences, you see them as in a tight spot. You are trying to bowl using a Frisbee in a swimming pool.

First find God. Understand God, understand people. After that, the Bible may make better sense.

No. I'm saying use it as a tool to come to God and then let yourself learn from Him.
upload_2017-11-11_20-25-29.jpeg

recorded history of the desert religions has never had a period in history where those religions ever sustained themselves in a manor that did not include persecution or other means of physical persuasion as an intrusion to insure their predominance over the affairs in the lands they presided by their presence.

including the poster that uses their book, bible in the same manor for the same purpose. a 10000 page political document disguised as a religion for their own version of a social contract not that of the Almighty. enshrined by a savior of one type or another beneficial only to themselves.

I’ll hop in. Considering we’re talking about people who had no concept that the sun was just a star, and the stars were just suns really really far away, that the earth was round, that disease was cause by tiny life, no concept of matter, energy, atoms, elements, the language/vocabulary to even describe this stuff, and thousands of other things we take for granted today...does it not raise eyebrows for you how close they got the creation story (especially compared to any other creation story out there)? There was a great void and emptiness, then boom, then god gave the heavens and earth shape, then the earth formed land and sea, then god created life in the sea, then the animals of the land, then finally humans...At the very least you have to be impressed with how close this spoken word, passed down for generations and finally into text, came to what we with all our knowledge know. This is people who thought the earth was flat and the sun and moon spinned around them. I mean if you explained how the universe came into existence to a 5 year old, and they went and explained it to other 5 year olds, it just might sound something like that.

Then you got a guy getting visions of the end of the world, and he’s seeing shit like you cannot buy or sell without the “mark of the beast.” It probably didn’t make much sense then, but today we are actively moving to a cashless society. Or swarms of metal insects with screaming hair attacking people...kind of sounds like China’s military swarm drones tech they’ve been working on. Stars falling from the sky wiping off vast sums of humanity, maybe ICBMs. Chariots shooting fire, maybe tanks. How would someone from Bronze Age (I don’t know what correct era it was) describe some of the shit in our world? There’s some eyebrow raising stuff there. You could say it means nothing and that’d be fair enough. But food for thought, yea.

I’ll hop in. Considering we’re talking about people who had no concept that the sun was just a star, and the stars were just suns really really far away, that the earth was round, that disease was cause by tiny life, no concept of matter, energy, atoms, elements, the language/vocabulary to even describe this stuff, and thousands of other things we take for granted today...does it not raise eyebrows for you how close they got the creation story (especially compared to any other creation story out there)? There was a great void and emptiness, then boom, then god gave the heavens and earth shape, then the earth formed land and sea, then god created life in the sea, then the animals of the land, then finally humans...At the very least you have to be impressed with how close this spoken word, passed down for generations and finally into text, came to what we with all our knowledge know. This is people who thought the earth was flat and the sun and moon spinned around them. I mean if you explained how the universe came into existence to a 5 year old, and they went and explained it to other 5 year olds, it just might sound something like that
Yeah, except it wasn't. First, you seem to forget that Genesis isn't as clear on that order as you present. You see, in chapter 1 of Genesis, it does appear to be in the correct evolutionary order. But, then, in chapter 2, the writer of Genesis changed their mind, and insisted that Man was created first, then all of the other animals. Also, there seems to be a little trouble with the physics even in Genesis, Chapter 1, You see, God, somehow, apparently created light, before creating the sun, and stars, even though light is generated by the sun, and stars. You want to pretend that Genesis perfectly aligns with our scientific knowledge of the universe. Except it really doesn't.

The Reform churches (Calvin) and Protestant (Luther) consider both testaments to be co-equal and stand proven (or disproven) by fulfilled prophecy, such as the entire world watching the two prophets of Revelations 12 simultaneously (Worldwide TV broadcasts being written about in @ 90 AD). Or the restoration of Israel (Spoken of by Jesus the Christ but also OT prophets.)

When god said "let there be light", to whom was he talking to?

The Sons of God. Us. In the premortal realm as spirit sons and daughters we knew and worshipped God as our heavenly Father and accepted His plan. His plan was to create an earth where would could have a physical body and gain earthly experience in order to progress toward perfection and to ultimately realize our destiny as heirs of eternal life
You have proof for this tall tale?

The witness of the Holy Ghost. You are free to ask Him for yourself.

Somehow I expect you wont do the work necessary to learn. Perhaps I should have more faith in others
Ok, I asked him and haven't heard back. How long does it usually take for him to get back to someone?

He will get back to you when you are prepared. He is Eternal and has infinite patience. You and me, not so much.

If you want answers you get them on His terms.

"Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.

"But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

"But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong" (D&C 9:7-9)
There are other conditions:

" Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

"And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

" And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."(Moroni 10:3-5)​

So think it out
Ask with sincerity
In the name of Christ

"And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?

"Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?

" Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life.

" Behold, I say, is there one among you who is not stripped of envy? I say unto you that such an one is not prepared; and I would that he should prepare quickly, for the hour is close at hand, and he knoweth not when the time shall come; for such an one is not found guiltless.

"And again I say unto you, is there one among you that doth make a mock of his brother, or that heapeth upon him persecutions?

" Wo unto such an one, for he is not prepared, and the time is at hand that he must repent or he cannot be saved!

"Yea, even wo unto all ye workers of iniquity; repent, repent, for the Lord God hath spoken it!

"Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you." (Alma 5:26-33)
Strip yourself of your pride
Strip yourself of your envy
Don't mock your brothers.

Or else you aren't prepared to know God.

If you really want to know your Father in Heaven, seek Him the way He invites us to.

Forum List

Back