Is this police harrassment?

It is more prudent and beneficial if you do comply with their initial request. IF the cop takes it further than that (just asking for ID).....then I can see being reluctant to comply. But if you're going to be an ass from the very start, you deserve whatever they throw at you

Or an antagonistic guy with an axe to grind?

Spoiler......this guy is pulled over because he was flying his drone over Marshall Farms who is known to raise & sell animals for research purposes. The guy admits he is from 'Treating Animals with Respect & Kindness' & the Shark Team as he introduces himself to the viewer. The cop asks for ID and the guy refuses and this continues on until the cops attempt to take him into custody.

Personally I see it that the guy was in the wrong for several reasons.....

1. He has an axe to grind against the Facility & was snooping into their goings on.
2. He refuses the cops request for ID
3. Then as the video goes on, continues to be antagonistic toward the cops.

As for the cop, I see him as only following up on a complaint from the Farm, that this guy was snooping where he didn't belong.

What do you think?

If cops want to whine about lack of respect for them, show them this video. This kind of crap is why.

But they can't just demand that you identify yourself because they want to know who you are, and then arrest you if you refuse. Or at least..they aren't supposed to.

BUT the whole basis of why the cop pulled him over to begin with was because of a complaint by the Farm and the Farm security had followed the guy until the cop showed up.

Yeah, you can't be arrested for not giving your name to cops. Unless they are arresting you.

LOL, you can get others in a heap of trouble by posting on issues you make up and don't understand. A detention is not an arrest; a person can be legally detained, can be placed in a patrol car cage, when they refuse to identify themselves. If they resist, a crime is committed and an arrest can be made.

Don't be stupid, do what I suggested in post #7.

But they can't just demand that you identify yourself because they want to know who you are, and then arrest you if you refuse. Or at least..they aren't supposed to.

BUT the whole basis of why the cop pulled him over to begin with was because of a complaint by the Farm and the Farm security had followed the guy until the cop showed up.
A complaint about someone doing something that isn't illegal isn't sufficient.

I'm telling you. Cops don't have the authority to demand identification from people based on the fact that they just don't like them being where they are, doing what they're doing, if where they are and what they're doing is LEGAL. They have to first have a reasonable suspicion of some sort of wrongdoing, and they have to be able to give voice to that BEFORE they demand identification. You can't just walk up to someone and say "hey you, I don't like you standing there so you have to give me your name so I can look to see if I can arrest you for something else".

Spoiler......this guy is pulled over because he was flying his drone over Marshall Farms who is known to raise & sell animals for research purposes. The guy admits he is from 'Treating Animals with Respect & Kindness' & the Shark Team as he introduces himself to the viewer. The cop asks for ID and the guy refuses and this continues on until the cops attempt to take him into custody.

1. He has an axe to grind against the Facility & was snooping into their goings on.

As for the cop, I see him as only following up on a complaint from the Farm, that this guy was snooping where he didn't belong.

What do you think?

Depends entirely on the local and state laws in effect at the time this was done.

ok, I can see where that would possibly make some difference in this particular case......but he's still refusing to comply with the officer, regardless of the reasons

You cannot refuse to comply with a police officer request it will get you some trouble 99% of the time.

exactly......and the guy was being an ass about the whole thing to boot.

Show me the law that states it's illegal to be rude to a cop.

It doesn't have to be illegal........but it's not the smart choice of response. Your whole attitude when pulled over, can determine how the cop treats you

Depends entirely on the local and state laws in effect at the time this was done.

ok, I can see where that would possibly make some difference in this particular case......but he's still refusing to comply with the officer, regardless of the reasons

You cannot refuse to comply with a police officer request it will get you some trouble 99% of the time.

exactly......and the guy was being an ass about the whole thing to boot.

Show me the law that states it's illegal to be rude to a cop.

It doesn't have to be illegal........but it's not the smart choice of response. Your whole attitude when pulled over, can determine how the cop treats you
I know that.
But just because a cop doesn't like the way you talk, when he approaches YOU when you aren't doing anything wrong, does NOT give him the authority to demand your name, and arrest you if you don't give it to him.

Depends on the state but you can get arrested for that in some states.

Have to catch you doing it.

An extremely irresponsible response ^^^. Color me not surprised.

Perectly reasonable and high probability of success response. Single shot you can tell general direction if you are lucky. More times than not a single shot has 10 people pointing in 10 different directions. It's why they invented this for our troops.
Device for locating artillery and sniper positions

What do you think?

You left the most important detail out over the question of was this harassment or not.
WAS HE BLACK?

A complaint about someone doing something that isn't illegal isn't sufficient.

I'm telling you. Cops don't have the authority to demand identification from people based on the fact that they just don't like them being where they are, doing what they're doing, if where they are and what they're doing is LEGAL. They have to first have a reasonable suspicion of some sort of wrongdoing, and they have to be able to give voice to that BEFORE they demand identification. You can't just walk up to someone and say "hey you, I don't like you standing there so you have to give me your name so I can look to see if I can arrest you for something else".

So what would YOU think if some guy parked at your driveway & flew his drone over your property?

The Farm was making the complaint.......because the guy was spying on them.

What do you think?

You left the most important detail out over the question of was this harassment or not.
WAS HE BLACK?

(so where's the STFU button when you need one?)

If you watched the video you'd see that NO is was NOT black........but a Caucasian male, that was in some part of an animal rights group that was snooping by flying his drone over a Farm that was well known to raise & sell animals for Research studies. The Farm didn't like it & made a complaint to the cops, who then followed up by pulling this guy over

What do you think?

WAS HE BLACK?

(so where's the STFU button when you need one?)

If you watched the video you'd see that NO is was NOT black........but a Caucasian male, that was in some part of an animal rights group that was snooping by flying his drone over a Farm that was well known to raise & sell animals for Research studies. The Farm didn't like it & made a complaint to the cops, who then followed up by pulling this guy over

He was white?
Not harassment then.

Ever seen any of the You Tube videos of "sovereign citizens" being stopped by police? They are hilarious. The idiots get pulled over and start filming the encounter with their cell phones so they will have a record of the event. They then proceed to tell the cop that they are not American citizens; rather, they are "world citizens" and, therefore, not subject to the jurisdiction of American police. That, of course, irritates the cop to no end. Usually the cop runs out of patience, breaks out the car window and drags them out through the window, all the while the moron perp is screaming "I do not consent! I do not consent!"

There are even some videos of these "sovereign citizens" getting their asses handed to them in court. Hilarious!

Forum List

Back