Is this racist?

If a black person is making negative generalizations about people on the basis of their race, he/she is being a racist.

It doesn't matter if those negative generalizations are about your own race. It's most common for people to be racist about members of other races, but it can definitely happen within races.

For instance, interracial conflicts between dark-skinned blacks and light-skinned blacks have occurred quite frequently throughout history. Dark-skinned blacks have historically been subjected to pretty harsh treatment by lighter skinned blacks, and vice versa.

High yellow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Similarly, a lot of blacks can be quite nasty to bi-racial kids.

interesting wording...

Que?

i was wondering the same.

I know blacks are racist even among themselves.

Look at your definition that you provided. The third one specifically. It clearly says....hatred or intolerance of another race

Context matters

There are 3 definitions. The type of racism we're quibbling about would fit definition #1.

Hope that helps! ;)

And the what i meant fits #3

:tongue:

Yes, but that doesn't negate the fact that even if a black person made these statements, they'd still be racist. Negative racial stereotyping, even if it's about your own race, is still racism.

I just read the thread, where mudwistel said stay away from blacks and where they hang out in groups, if Zimmerman is found not guilty. There is nothing racist about that comment. I hope you liberals start hanging out where groups of black people frequent, if Zimmerman is found not guilty. I'm so sure you will too.

I just read the thread, where mudwistel said stay away from blacks and where they hang out in groups, if Zimmerman is found not guilty. There is nothing racist about that comment. I hope you liberals start hanging out where groups of black people frequent, if Zimmerman is found not guilty. I'm so sure you will too.

Let me help you with something that appears to be a logical problem for you...

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a liberal.

I do hang out in urban inner city areas, on a regular basis (for work), and with groups of black friends (for fun). I doubt I will change my habits much, and I don't anticipate any riots by the black professionals in my neighborhood if Zimmerman is aquitted. Of course, many of them are attorneys, so they probably already understand how the justice system works.

Are you hoping I'll be victimized because I've pointed out that Mudwhistle's words are racist? Because, frankly, it sounds as if you do.

Sort of like..."You don't buy into my stereotypes about the dangers of black people, well, you'll get what's coming to you at some point, you uppity white bitch."

But, I'm sure you'd never directly say anything like that, right?

When race baiting.... you bet. Think al shaprton.

Take the N word for example....

I don't think you understand the term racism.

rac·ism
   [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism is negatively stereotyping other people on the basis of race or displaying hate/intolerance of an individual or group on the basis of their race.

The n-word is a racial slur, but it isn't necessarily racist. Whether it is racist or not would depend on the context in which it is used.

It's kind of like the term "bitch."

I have a couple of friends who'll occasionally use the term in a joking way, directed a me, i.e., "bitch, please." That's very different from one of the little tiny-dicked men on this board referring to me as a bitch because I've whupped his ass in a debate.

To your point 3 in bold....the words another race....

Again....how is it "racist" if it a black person is saying it to another black person?

There has to be context with the statement. That is my only point in terms of ravi's OP.
Another poster said it with the expectation that blacks are about to start rioting.

Let me help you with something that appears to be a logical problem for you...

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a liberal.

I do hang out in urban inner city areas, on a regular basis (for work), and with groups of black friends (for fun). I doubt I will change my habits much, and I don't anticipate any riots by the black professionals in my neighborhood if Zimmerman is aquitted. Of course, many of them are attorneys, so they probably already understand how the justice system works.

Are you hoping I'll be victimized because I've pointed out that Mudwhistle's words are racist? Because, frankly, it sounds as if you do.

Sort of like..."You don't buy into my stereotypes about the dangers of black people, well, you'll get what's coming to you at some point, you uppity white bitch."

But, I'm sure you'd never directly say anything like that, right?

Well, you're right about me making the generalization, but I wasn't talking about you.

Many of the same people saying what MW said is racist, are the same people that would avoid black neigborhoods if Zimmerman is found not guilty, IMHO. I don't wish for anyone to be victimized. I was being sarcastic.

I have no reason to be dishonest about race in an anonymus message board. I try to be as honest as possible.

At best, it's a stupid and inaccurate generalization and depending on the context in which that phrase or statement is used, yes I think it can be a racist or bigoted statement.

I don't think you understand the term racism.

Racism is negatively stereotyping other people on the basis of race or displaying hate/intolerance of an individual or group on the basis of their race.

The n-word is a racial slur, but it isn't necessarily racist. Whether it is racist or not would depend on the context in which it is used.

It's kind of like the term "bitch."

I have a couple of friends who'll occasionally use the term in a joking way, directed a me, i.e., "bitch, please." That's very different from one of the little tiny-dicked men on this board referring to me as a bitch because I've whupped his ass in a debate.

To your point 3 in bold....the words another race....

Again....how is it "racist" if it a black person is saying it to another black person?

There has to be context with the statement. That is my only point in terms of ravi's OP.
Another poster said it with the expectation that blacks are about to start rioting.

I am not saying he is.... but what if he is right?

I am not saying he is.... but what if he is right? [/COLOR]

There are 39 million black people in this country. What percentage of them do you think might actually riot?

Any group of people, at any point in time, given the right circumstances, can riot. I don't see that blacks are any more predisposed to this than say, Phillies fans.

Last edited:
At best, it's a stupid and inaccurate generalization and depending on the context in which that phrase or statement is used, yes I think it can be a racist or bigoted statement.

Is it racist to say to your friend...Avoid that XYZ niegborhood because they're going to annouce the Zimmerman verdict tonight? It's not, and it's completly rational. You might think nothing would happen, but that doesn't mean the person who thinks something may happen is a racist.

Why does everyone think Blacks are going to riot if Zimmerman is acquitted, or if Obama loses the election?:confused:
Good question.

I am around Blacks all the time, I hear more talk about the upcoming NBA playoffs than I do about Zimmermans trial or the election, and I hear no talk of taking to the streets. :dunno:

LOL, quite true. It's been talked about in passing in my circles (white, black, etc.)., nothing major, no real outrage.

Well, you're right about me making the generalization, but I wasn't talking about you.

Many of the same people saying what MW said is racist, are the same people that would avoid black neigborhoods if Zimmerman is found not guilty, IMHO. I don't wish for anyone to be victimized. I was being sarcastic.

I have no reason to be dishonest about race in an anonymus message board. I try to be as honest as possible.

I appreciate your clarification. I would say that, in general, most white liberals have spent very little time, at all, in urban poor neighborhoods. I've spent a lot of time in those neighborhoods, which is why I'm not very liberal.

Is it racist to say to your friend...Avoid that XYZ niegborhood because they're going to annouce the Zimmerman verdict tonight? It's not, and it's completly rational. You might think nothing would happen, but that doesn't mean the person who thinks something may happen is a racist.

My veterinarian was doing her residency in California when the OJ Simpson verdict came down. Apparently she was at work when it was announced that the verdict had been reached. She said there was an intense sense of relief in the office when it came back "not guilty". Was it unreasonable or racist for them to be on edge about the possibility that riots were going to break out if he was found guilty?

Don't ask me why we were talking about that. I have no idea. It might simply have been a vivid California memory which came up during small talk.

Last edited:

My veterinarian was doing her residency in California when the OJ Simpson verdict came down. Apparently she was in the office when it was announced that the verdict had been reached. She said there was an intense sense of relief when it came back "not guilty". Was it unreasonable or racist for them to be on edge about the possibility that riots were going to break out if he was found guilty?

Don't ask me why we were talking about that. I have no idea. It might simply have been a vivid California memory which came up during small talk.

I wouldn't think so.

My dad told me not to go to the park to play ball basketball during the LA riots because he thought it might spread to NY. IMO he was being a good dad.

Last edited:

Assuming that blacks in a given neighborhood might riot on the basis of a court case that is occurring hundreds or thousands of miles away, purely because they're black, is racist (and really fucking stupid).

My husband lived for the past 3 years (up until our wedding) in a neighborhood that is 95%black (he was the statistical anomaly). I can't imagine ANY of his neighbors using the Zimmerman verdict as an excuse to riot. And, we live in the same damn state.

They might decide to picket or protest at the state capital, though, if they felt the trial or verdict was unfair. But riot? Oh, hell no.

IN fact, I can't think of a single neighborhood in my city where that might be an issue.

My dad told me not to go to the park to play ball basketball during the LA riots because he thought it might spread to NY. IMO he was being a good dad.

Did it even spread to other cities in the state of California? There's reasonable precautions, but that's just plain paranoia.

I guess it would depend on the neighborhood. It's not like whites or ethnic whites are immune to group attacks. See Bensonhurst, see Howard Beach, see some towns on Long Island.........................

My veterinarian was doing her residency in California when the OJ Simpson verdict came down. Apparently she was in the office when it was announced that the verdict had been reached. She said there was an intense sense of relief when it came back "not guilty". Was it unreasonable or racist for them to be on edge about the possibility that riots were going to break out if he was found guilty?

I wouldn't think so.

I agree.

Assuming that blacks in a given neighborhood might riot on the basis of a court case that is occurring hundreds or thousands of miles away, purely because they're black, is racist (and really fucking stupid).

My husband lived for the past 3 years (up until our wedding) in a neighborhood that is 95%black (he was the statistical anomaly). I can't imagine ANY of his neighbors using the Zimmerman verdict as an excuse to riot. And, we live in the same damn state.

They might decide to picket or protest at the state capital, though, if they felt the trial or verdict was unfair. But riot? Oh, hell no.

IN fact, I can't think of a single neighborhood in my city where that might be an issue.

I don't think anything would happen either, but there's always trouble makers in every group, and when encouraged, it could be a potential fammable situation.

Did it even spread to other cities in the state of California? There's reasonable precautions, but that's just plain paranoia.

Never can be too safe.

Forum List

Back