Is your church integrated

Nutz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2014
More of a question for the white Christian conservatives and liberal blacks who, IMO, have suspect beliefs when it comes to race relations. Is your church integrated? What percentage of blacks or whites go to your church? Right now, I am lucky enough to go to a large church that is literally 50/50. It is something the church is extremely proud of given it is in the South (and other reasons).

There have been times that I have been to all white and all black churches...I am not a big fan of either one. I think both are self segregated and reek of unspoken/ unrealized racism. On a couple of occasions, I have felt very unwelcome at an all white church and I am sure it is vice versa for whites who visit an all black church.

I challenge all of you, white or black, to visit a racially diverse church if your church is predominately white or black. I challenge you to meet your brothers in God of a different race, and learn more about them...maybe even conquer some of the stereotypes you have...maybe even make some new friends.

Racism exists in the United States but not overseas between colors.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1dnt-4VUc]LOU FELLINGHAM & THE PHATFISH-HOLY,HOLY,HOLY - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think that segregation in American churches necessarily equates to racism. I hate to say it this way, but I think it is just the way it is.

More of a question for the white Christian conservatives and liberal blacks who, IMO, have suspect beliefs when it comes to race relations. Is your church integrated? What percentage of blacks or whites go to your church? Right now, I am lucky enough to go to a large church that is literally 50/50. It is something the church is extremely proud of given it is in the South (and other reasons).

There have been times that I have been to all white and all black churches...I am not a big fan of either one. I think both are self segregated and reek of unspoken/ unrealized racism. On a couple of occasions, I have felt very unwelcome at an all white church and I am sure it is vice versa for whites who visit an all black church.

I challenge all of you, white or black, to visit a racially diverse church if your church is predominately white or black. I challenge you to meet your brothers in God of a different race, and learn more about them...maybe even conquer some of the stereotypes you have...maybe even make some new friends.

The focus of any church should be Jesus Christ and His Gospel. Let His message draw whomever it will.

Nobody should allow hatred to dictate their lives. Hatred is born of fear and where fear exists faith cannot. Has God given His children a spirit of fear? No.

If a church is focusing on creating an integrated church rather than a Christ-centered church then that church's priorities are skewed.

I don't go to any church these days because of the various false doctrines (or what I perceive to be false doctrines) that seem to permeate the modern church. So I seek other means of fellowshipping with Christians (online, one-on-one, email, etc.).

Last edited:

The focus of any church should be Jesus Christ and His Gospel. Let His message draw whomever it will.

Nobody should allow hatred to dictate their lives. Hatred is born of fear and where fear exists faith cannot. Has God given His children a spirit of fear? No.

If a church is focusing on creating an integrated church rather than a Christ-centered church then that church's priorities are skewed.

I don't go to any church these days because of the various false doctrines (or what I perceive to be false doctrines) that seem to permeate the modern church. So I seek other means of fellowshipping with Christians (online, one-on-one, email, etc.).

My church doesn't focus on integration...that is the way it is because of the Spirit. Period.

I don't think that segregation in American churches necessarily equates to racism. I hate to say it this way, but I think it is just the way it is.

It would seem (by simple observation) that the various races in America naturally segregate when left to their own devices. New York has a Chinatown, an Irish section, and Italian section, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, a Jewish section, etc. San Francisco is known for its booming "China Town." Every big city has its Hispanic section, black section, white section, etc. It just seems to be a natural phenomenon.

Last edited:

Your church is 50% white and 50% black? What about other races?

And what is the population in the area like? Is it, too, 50/50? If it is not, wouldn't that mean your church is not representative of the people who leave near it?

You seem to be making a good point with the thread, but going about it in a bit of a strange way.

And what is the population in the area like? Is it, too, 50/50? If it is not, wouldn't that mean your church is not representative of the people who leave near it?

You seem to be making a good point with the thread, but going about it in a bit of a strange way.

It is complicated. Some people go because they believe what black people believe about the Bible, they are attracted to a Black style of worship, they need to dance or march around the sanctuary. Other people don't go because they have quiet spirits and I personally don't think dancing around the church is what I need to do. It becomes an issue for older people because I would see older people in the choir fall every sunday for those churches that have a choir.

Some churches are large and can't have 2,000 people dancing around because it becomes a safety issue.

I am not going to allow human need to dictate what can or can't be preached from the Bible so truth has to be preached from the Bible first because holiness has to reflect God's glory.

My church doesn't focus on integration...that is the way it is because of the Spirit. Period.

That is what happens when the Holy Spirit is in charge.

It is complicated. Some people go because they believe what black people believe about the Bible, they are attracted to a Black style of worship, they need to dance or march around the sanctuary. Other people don't go because they have quiet spirits and I personally don't think dancing around the church is what I need to do. It becomes an issue for older people because I would see older people in the choir fall every sunday for those churches that have a choir.

Some churches are large and can't have 2,000 people dancing around because it becomes a safety issue.

I am not going to allow human need to dictate what can or can't be preached from the Bible so truth has to be preached from the Bible first because holiness has to reflect God's glory.

True points. I'm not into the Holy Roller style of worship but I have nothing against folks who are. I like pastors who actually read from Scripture with a little commentary or a story about how the Scripture is implemented in day to day life. If there's going to be music then I much prefer the old hymns over contemporary/modern stuff. That's just my personal preference. Bottom line for me is that Jesus Christ and His Gospel message of justification by faith and salvation by grace should be front and center.

I doubt that many black people would be members of a Lutheran church...we only have one active member at my church. I wish we'd integrate more families, since our church is predominately retirees. The good thing about that though is they have time to do everything. I've belonged to other churches who want to give you a "job" so that you'll stick around...I know it makes me a "bad" Christian, but I just want to show up for the service to hear a good sermon and receive Communion.

50% white 50 % minority would be the better way to put it. The church is well represented. HIspanics, though, have a separate service.

50% white 50 % minority would be the better way to put it. The church is well represented. HIspanics, though, have a separate service.

Separate service at the same church?

I don't go to church, I don't know how these things work. :lol:

Separate service at the same church?

I don't go to church, I don't know how these things work. :lol:
Service en espanol

I doubt that many black people would be members of a Lutheran church...we only have one active member at my church. I wish we'd integrate more families, since our church is predominately retirees. The good thing about that though is they have time to do everything. I've belonged to other churches who want to give you a "job" so that you'll stick around...I know it makes me a "bad" Christian, but I just want to show up for the service to hear a good sermon and receive Communion.

There are many black lutheran churches.

It would seem (by simple observation) that the various races in America naturally segregate when left to their own devices. New York has a Chinatown, an Irish section, and Italian section, Harlem, Spanish Harlem, a Jewish section, etc. San Francisco is known for its booming "China Town." Every big city has its Hispanic section, black section, white section, etc. It just seems to be a natural phenomenon.

Yeah.,, but who here lives in a big city?

interesting question....I go to a church that has around 150 families......about twenty percent of them have adopted children......these kids come from Africa, Asia, South America......do you think we're racists because almost all of the families are white?.....

Forum List

Back