It Sure Looks Like This Obamacare Program Has Led to More People Dying

This is the great LIE of the left...

NO ONE can be DENIED care from a Hospital... They MUST at the very least treat you to a stable state before they can discharge you, regardless of your ability to pay or insurance.

Now if you have a chronic illness this doesn’t really help you as you will be stabilized, put back on the street only to get sick again because you won’t be able to afford your meds or follow up treatment... But the idea you can be denied care (at least at a Hospital) is nonsense.

To determine whether a government program is successful, it's often necessary to look not only at how well it does what it's supposed to do, but what it's doing that it isn't supposed to. For example, killing people.

Take the hospital readmissions program built into Obamacare. The program derived from a simple observation that hospitals were treating lots of people who would then return for more treatment within the month. Unnecessary readmissions cost Medicare an estimated $17.5 billion a year. If hospitals were treating people effectively, the thinking went, those people shouldn't need to return so soon.

So the health law instituted a Medicare payment penalty for hospitals with too many readmissions for pneumonia, heart failure, and heart attack. Since 2012, Medicare has assessed about $2 billion in penalties on hospitals with too-high readmissions rates.

Hospital groups have argued that these payments are punitive and unfair, particularly to so-called safety net hospitals that serve the poorest, sickest patients. These patients tend to have higher readmissions rates, and the hospitals that treat them were more likely to be hit with payment reductions. (Earlier this year, the Trump administration changed the penalty structure for safety net hospitals.)

But the program has often been labeled a success because it accomplished its primary goal. Readmissions dropped between 2.3 and 3.6 percentage points for the conditions targeted. Readmissions associated with other maladies dropped by 1.4 percent. The authors of one 2016 study suggested that the lower readmission rates "point to how Medicare can improve the care that patients receive through innovative payment models." It offered proof, and hope, that with the right incentives, Medicare could save money and provide better care.

A new study appears to dash that hope, at least as far as readmissions are concerned.

Read more at reason.com ...
You know it's not true and I know it's not true along with everyone else that works for a living. I don't know if you have noticed but when these lazy leftist talk about health care it should all be free. Like their food and housing. If they could see their own writing and had any self worth or pride they would swallow a gun barrel.

While I despise government/government CONTROLLED medical care, I lost a dear friend not too long ago due to the problem with the second part of your quote. There needs to be SOME way to help people with these serious conditions. There doesn't seem to be much real help fore these people. The ER just does a basic patch job and throws you out and tells you to see your doctor. This is the ONLY help some of these people can get, and it is what killed her.

So what does the ACA have to do with your friends passing??
You know it's not true and I know it's not true along with everyone else that works for a living. I don't know if you have noticed but when these lazy leftist talk about health care it should all be free. Like their food and housing. If they could see their own writing and had any self worth or pride they would swallow a gun barrel.

Shows what you know about the ACA!!

This is the great LIE of the left...

NO ONE can be DENIED care from a Hospital... They MUST at the very least treat you to a stable state before they can discharge you, regardless of your ability to pay or insurance.

Now if you have a chronic illness this doesn’t really help you as you will be stabilized, put back on the street only to get sick again because you won’t be able to afford your meds or follow up treatment... But the idea you can be denied care (at least at a Hospital) is nonsense.

To determine whether a government program is successful, it's often necessary to look not only at how well it does what it's supposed to do, but what it's doing that it isn't supposed to. For example, killing people.

Take the hospital readmissions program built into Obamacare. The program derived from a simple observation that hospitals were treating lots of people who would then return for more treatment within the month. Unnecessary readmissions cost Medicare an estimated $17.5 billion a year. If hospitals were treating people effectively, the thinking went, those people shouldn't need to return so soon.

So the health law instituted a Medicare payment penalty for hospitals with too many readmissions for pneumonia, heart failure, and heart attack. Since 2012, Medicare has assessed about $2 billion in penalties on hospitals with too-high readmissions rates.

Hospital groups have argued that these payments are punitive and unfair, particularly to so-called safety net hospitals that serve the poorest, sickest patients. These patients tend to have higher readmissions rates, and the hospitals that treat them were more likely to be hit with payment reductions. (Earlier this year, the Trump administration changed the penalty structure for safety net hospitals.)

But the program has often been labeled a success because it accomplished its primary goal. Readmissions dropped between 2.3 and 3.6 percentage points for the conditions targeted. Readmissions associated with other maladies dropped by 1.4 percent. The authors of one 2016 study suggested that the lower readmission rates "point to how Medicare can improve the care that patients receive through innovative payment models." It offered proof, and hope, that with the right incentives, Medicare could save money and provide better care.

A new study appears to dash that hope, at least as far as readmissions are concerned.

Read more at reason.com ...
Keep talking. You just defined emergency care, not healthcare. You make a great case for Medicare for all.

Last edited:
Tell me, what healthcare is free. Who has ever proposed free healthcare. They have only proposed free at the pint of service. Everyone with Healthcare insurance gets free healthcare at point of service now. EVERYONE PAYS NOW for that plan. The US even before Obamacare paid more per capita then any other nation in the world.....and our outcomes were worse. So who said it was free ?

Last edited:
There's no arguing that. But of couse the left will say it just ain't so. You can live forever and everything can and should be free.
Free ? Who ever said free ? We pay more per capita then anyother nation. We ALWAYS did. I don’t like paying so much. Why should people make me pay more then I should have to.

Wrong.....people are kicked out the hospital every day when their vitals are stable but they still have life threatening illnesses. Making sure you’re still breathing is not healthcare. It’s called first aid and emergency care. People with out insurance ONLY get emergency care. If you can’t afford to pay, they still come after you and garnish your wages. Millions have still gone through bankruptcy just for emergency room care.
Medical care is the leading cause of bankruptcies.

Last edited:
Tell me, what healthcare is free. Who has ever proposed free healthcare. They have only proposed free at the pint of service. Everyone with Healthcare insurance gets free healthcare at point of service now. EVERYONE PAYS NOW for that plan. The US even before Obamacare paid more per capita then any other nation in the world.....and our outcomes were worse. So who said it was free ?
I guess only my health care over doubled for half the service with a deductible that can never be reached.

I guess only my health care over doubled for half the service with a deductible that can never be reached.
Exactly. Your paying for private insurance profits so they can sponsor golf tournaments. Other countries with UHC pay less and people live longer and healthier.

People can't afford their meds...they wait too long to go to the doctor due to the expense...Obama never should have messed with what we had....he took our system...the peoples system for healthcare and made it a overly bloated government welfare program....with rules and regulation almost impossible to comply with....its a freaking mess....now Pelosi will block any fix to it because with her its about stopping Trump from succeeding not representing the people....the people do not have a congress right now...they have a get Trump out of office continuum.....

My health care became about 3x more bureaucratic and about 1.5x as expensive when they passed the ACA. Absolutely nothing about it has helped me get care cheaper, better or faster. I am barely even middle class and make around $35k annually.

Exactly. Your paying for private insurance profits so they can sponsor golf tournaments. Other countries with UHC pay less and people live longer and healthier.

What really blew my mind when they launched the ACA was that the organization doesn't have an "AC General" akin to the Postmaster General or Surgeon General (real public servants), it has a bonafide CEO in the corporate sense.

Healthcare in our country has always been screwed up because it’s so over regulated. More it more just makes it worse. Make it completely free to the market, let anyone be able to buy it no matter where they live, like nationwide auto insurance.

New Topics

Forum List

Back