It will be Republican Chuck Hagel 4 Defense Secretary: Whoo Hoo! Fight is on.

The right isn't having a meltdown. The democrats SAY the right is having a meltdown, but again just like everything else, there's no meltdown. Hagel doesn't have the support of democrats. He's not likely to have the support of republicans either.

obama is going to have to pull out the "so let it be written, so let it be done" card.

This guy doesn't measure up :rolleyes: :

Obama taps 'American patriot' Hagel for Pentagon job - NBC Politics
If confirmed, Hagel would be the first former enlisted soldier to become the secretary of defense. His views of international conflict are heavily influenced by his own service in the Vietnam War; he won two Purple Hearts for his service and still has pieces of shrapnel embedded in his chest.

What a show off!!!!

he can't be trusted :nono: . Nope. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't remember huge coverage and outrage from FOX Newsertainment over whether Obama was going to make time to meet the Japanese PM, or whether Obama's outreach to China was a slap in the face of Japan.

Feel free to change those countries to South Korea/North Korea if you do not believe that Japan has faced a constant threat from China (they have).

our involvement in the region stems more from our oil interests than anything else. so keeping peace there is pretty important. and, frankly, sometimes people shoudl do the right thing because it's the right thing. last i checked, we also had a common interest in de-fanging the jihadis, as well. and israel is a huge source of intel for us.

as for japan and china, unfortunately or fortunately, china holds our debt... do you really think we're going to face off with them in regard to japan when our larger concern in the region is north korea and keeping things with china civil.

And that fact should make the Japanese even more nervous about the U.S. being 100% behind them, not less. So why is there no poutrage over whether/when/how long POTUS meets with the Japanese PM?

and if george bush has snubbed nelson mandela, you'd have been a bit shocked and surprised. snubbing netanyahu was like that for jews. it was like 'why are you doing that to a friend'?

as it happens, the lack of personal warmth in that relationship seems not to have escalated to crazy levels. but i suspect netanyahu would have been able to make more of a case for certain things of interest to israel had he not tried to embarass the president.

But he wasn't snubbed. I remember that, at the time, the administration responded that POTUS talks with Netty frequently and that a face-to-face was not necessary.

Do you have a quote from Netty or the Israeli government complaining that they were snubbed? I didn't see any. In fact, I thought they backed the administration statement.

the first time netanyahu came here, they didn't invite him to the white house. the president said he had dinner plans with his wife.

you can imagine that might have aggravated some people.

in turn, netanyahu went directly to congress to address them personally.

stuff like that doesn't foster warm relationships.

our involvement in the region stems more from our oil interests than anything else. so keeping peace there is pretty important. and, frankly, sometimes people shoudl do the right thing because it's the right thing. last i checked, we also had a common interest in de-fanging the jihadis, as well. and israel is a huge source of intel for us.

as for japan and china, unfortunately or fortunately, china holds our debt... do you really think we're going to face off with them in regard to japan when our larger concern in the region is north korea and keeping things with china civil.

And that fact should make the Japanese even more nervous about the U.S. being 100% behind them, not less. So why is there no poutrage over whether/when/how long POTUS meets with the Japanese PM?

and if george bush has snubbed nelson mandela, you'd have been a bit shocked and surprised. snubbing netanyahu was like that for jews. it was like 'why are you doing that to a friend'?

as it happens, the lack of personal warmth in that relationship seems not to have escalated to crazy levels. but i suspect netanyahu would have been able to make more of a case for certain things of interest to israel had he not tried to embarass the president.

But he wasn't snubbed. I remember that, at the time, the administration responded that POTUS talks with Netty frequently and that a face-to-face was not necessary.

Do you have a quote from Netty or the Israeli government complaining that they were snubbed? I didn't see any. In fact, I thought they backed the administration statement.

the first time netanyahu came here, they didn't invite him to the white house. the president said he had dinner plans with his wife.

You don't fuck with 'date night'. :lol:

Didn't the nutters have a meltdown over the supposed snub? And didn't Obama get re-elected anyway?

Why yes, he did. That kind of blows up the belief that US presidents must dance to Israel's tune.

Israel is our ally and that's all that really matters.

You don't fuck with 'date night'. :lol:

Nope....learned that one early on. :lol:

The right isn't having a meltdown. The democrats SAY the right is having a meltdown, but again just like everything else, there's no meltdown. Hagel doesn't have the support of democrats. He's not likely to have the support of republicans either.

obama is going to have to pull out the "so let it be written, so let it be done" card.

Are you kidding??

GOP critics line up against Chuck Hagel

His onetime fellow Republican senators are quick to point out his role as a chief Bush antagonist over Iraq, his opposition to sanctions in places like Iran and comments he’s made about Hamas, Hezbollah and North Korea.

Some privately note he rubbed them the wrong way; one GOP senator called him “prickly.” Another was irked by the moderate Republican’s penchant for taking on his party, including this past election cycle, when he backed Democrat Bob Kerrey’s Senate candidacy in Nebraska over Deb Fischer, the Republican who later went on to win the race. Off of Capitol Hill on Tuesday, critics — including the Anti-Defamation League — slammed his record on Israel, including comments he made years back when he called pro-Israel forces in Washington the “Jewish lobby.”

McCain scoffed at claims that Hagel would be a Republican voice in a mostly Democratic Cabinet, saying to “allege that Hagel is somehow a Republican — that is a hard one to swallow.”

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), a conservative who is expected to become the ranking member on the Armed Services Committee next Congress, said he is “not real happy” with some of Hagel’s past statements on Israel. He recalled that Hagel had often been “curt” in their interactions.

“A lot of times, these hearings are sort of for show, but I think this one will really matter,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a member of the committee. “I think he’s just going to have to explain some of these comments that disturb people.”

Read more: GOP critics line up against Chuck Hagel - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

Are you kidding??

GOP critics line up against Chuck Hagel

His onetime fellow Republican senators are quick to point out his role as a chief Bush antagonist over Iraq, his opposition to sanctions in places like Iran and comments he’s made about Hamas, Hezbollah and North Korea.

Some privately note he rubbed them the wrong way; one GOP senator called him “prickly.” Another was irked by the moderate Republican’s penchant for taking on his party, including this past election cycle, when he backed Democrat Bob Kerrey’s Senate candidacy in Nebraska over Deb Fischer, the Republican who later went on to win the race. Off of Capitol Hill on Tuesday, critics — including the Anti-Defamation League — slammed his record on Israel, including comments he made years back when he called pro-Israel forces in Washington the “Jewish lobby.”

McCain scoffed at claims that Hagel would be a Republican voice in a mostly Democratic Cabinet, saying to “allege that Hagel is somehow a Republican — that is a hard one to swallow.”

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), a conservative who is expected to become the ranking member on the Armed Services Committee next Congress, said he is “not real happy” with some of Hagel’s past statements on Israel. He recalled that Hagel had often been “curt” in their interactions.

“A lot of times, these hearings are sort of for show, but I think this one will really matter,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a member of the committee. “I think he’s just going to have to explain some of these comments that disturb people.”

Read more: GOP critics line up against Chuck Hagel - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

That's hilarious, coming from the #1 RINO. :lol:

Didn't the nutters have a meltdown over the supposed snub? And didn't Obama get re-elected anyway?

Why yes, he did. That kind of blows up the belief that US presidents must dance to Israel's tune.

Israel is our ally and that's all that really matters.

that about sums it up

:eusa_shhh:

After rereading this thread the only nutters I see in meltdown mode are on the left. You can't post quick or often enough. Funny shit

blurry-eyechart.jpg

Will be interesting if he is nominated. I have nothing against him.

I have mixed feelings about Hagel.

First point- Yes, he was one of the first republicans to note that going into Iraq was a huge mistake. But frankly, pointing that out AFTER you start the ill-advised invasion is hardly a point. The only Republican who opposed the User of Force resolution was Linc Chafee, and the Democrats STILL shoved him out the door at the first oppurtunity.

Meanwhile, they happily voted for all the Democrats who voted for the war resolution.

Point the second- This sudden outrage about things he said about gays in the 1990's is largely manufactured.

Point the third- the people who really are against him are the Zionists. And frankly, when we are going to have Republicans opposed one of their own and a war hero because he won't toe the Zionist line 100%, you know that Zionists have too much power in the GOP and the country in General.

Case in point. If Hagel had said, "I'm not England's Senator", no one would have thought twice about it. But when he says "I'm not Israel's Senator", that's a scandal.

Point the fourth- Obama is really setting the GOP up here. If you want to continue the narrative that the GOP has become too radical, just let them attack one of their own, a respected Senator with an ACU rating of 85.

again, i haven't heard one way or the other whether hormel changed his mind. i was simply pointing out what i knew.

as for 'good enough'. it's a funny thing about that. my understanding of my religion is that it is only for the wronged party to forgive. no one can offer forgiveness for them. so the wrong has to be righted with the person aggrieved in the first instance.

It's about moving forward. As Ambassador Guest so eloquently states "I cannot claim I know Hagel well. But as a career diplomat, I had occasions to work with him and his staff. In that work, I found Hagel to be a man of integrity — honest and direct in his assessments and willing to seek common ground. He was true to his word. And if Hagel says he would fully implement the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” I take him at his word."

Our LGBT community should care deeply, of course, about that issue. Should President Barack Obama decide to nominate him to serve our country at the Pentagon, as is widely reported, Hagel should be closely questioned on precisely his leadership to ensure fairness for gay and lesbian military personnel and their families.

While Hagel’s Senate votes on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues were hardly perfect, they are not reasons to oppose his nomination for defense secretary — especially under the clear leadership of a president who supports LGBT equality goals.

The LGBT community, together with all Americans, should care that the secretary of defense pursue all conceivable peaceful options before putting the lives of American men and women at risk.

We should want a defense secretary with international stature and the trust and confidence of the president — both essential elements to effectiveness in this difficult job.
Don't judge Chuck Hagel by 1998 comment - Ambassador Michael Guest - POLITICO.com

i just think there were better choices to be made.

Already softening?...oh well I kind of expected as much. I could care less if someone apologizes, their initial comments are their true feelings the apologies are simply for political reasons. Hagel is a bigot besides that he's not qualified to run the defense dept.

Last edited:
It's about moving forward. As Ambassador Guest so eloquently states "I cannot claim I know Hagel well. But as a career diplomat, I had occasions to work with him and his staff. In that work, I found Hagel to be a man of integrity — honest and direct in his assessments and willing to seek common ground. He was true to his word. And if Hagel says he would fully implement the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” I take him at his word."

Don't judge Chuck Hagel by 1998 comment - Ambassador Michael Guest - POLITICO.com

Already softening?...oh well I kind of expected as much. I could care less if someone apologizes, their initial comments are their true feelings the apologies are simply for political reasons. Hagel is a bigot besides that he's not qualified to run the defense dept.

huh?

should i fauxrage like the loons?

nooooo. i don't do that. i make fun of people for doing that.

i will listen to the hearings. he isn't the devil incarnate.

grow up.

Softening? I don't see her doing that. You project too much. Not everyone is as rigid or constipated as you are.

:eusa_shifty:

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

He favors appeasement. with Iran...and talks with terrorists organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah!

His remarks about the "intimidatory Jewish Lobby" have a stain of antisemitism about them and don't bode well for relations with Israel!

Hagel's inflammatory views on Israel are more than likely the reason Dictator Obama pick him.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

This Hagel is a non-entity, without any Administrative experience!

He favors appeasement. with Iran...and talks with terrorists organizations like Hamas and Hezbollah!

His remarks about the "intimidatory Jewish Lobby" have a stain of antisemitism about them and don't bode well for relations with Israel!

Hagel's inflammatory views on Israel are more than likely the reason Dictator Obama pick him.

Want me to continue? why he is not a good choice?

no. your ignorance is readily apparent.

have another drink and stfu

the adults are talking :eusa_shhh:

huh?

should i fauxrage like the loons?

nooooo. i don't do that. i make fun of people for doing that.

i will listen to the hearings. he isn't the devil incarnate.

grow up.

Like I said if a republican would have nominated this person your outrage would have been unshakable, while mine would have been the same, but you keep an open mind because he's an Obama nomination

“He that always gives way to others will end in having no principles of his own.

Aesop

Last edited:

Forum List

Back