It's all about priorities

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Most Americans have little to no money to fall back on:

Most Americans have less than $1,000 in savings

Yet still, I wonder. How many of those people:
  1. Have more than one or two large screen TV's in their homes?
  2. Have more than one or two computers in their homes?
  3. Have other fancy but unnecessary electronics in their homes?
  4. Have fancy smart phones and I phones?
  5. Have a high car and/or truck payment?
  6. Take trips and put them on their credit card?
  7. Blow money on shit they don't need because they think they "deserve" it?
  8. Are doing the extras it takes to get raises and/or move up at work?
  9. Are doing nothing to improve their education or skill set?
And of course, how many of these people are blaming someone else for their situation?

A self-inflicted wound. But be sure to blame someone else, okay?

And of course, how many of these people are blaming someone else for their situation?

When the government takes 12.4% of your lifetime earnings, for Social Security, it becomes harder to save.

:dunno:

I can cop only to #2. I have I think four computers, but it's something I use for both work and leisure. Once in a (long) while I'll treat myself to a restaurant or sump'm. But I also have way more savings than that.

OTOH I do have a stock of redundant and/or novelty musical instruments...

I don't make very much, and do have a couple of those things. I never complain. I count myself fortunate everyday that I was born in a country where the "poor" can afford such luxuries. What is sad is when people "afford" such luxuries while living off the government at the same time.

When I occasionally drive through some rough neighborhoods, I am always amazed at the number of very expensive vehicles, trucks with lift kits and custom wheels, tricked out Mustangs etc. The cost of these vehicles plus loan interest has to be way more than the annual earnings of these people. You are right, it is all about priorities.

minus things like iphones, most of those things ARE THINGS all of the middle class should be able to afford plus pay SS taxes and health insurance share and be able to save 10% of their earnings...

A smartphone is less than what a Monopoly game would have cost back in the day before electronics, especially if purchased with a plan...

landlines are going bye-bye

computers for your kids is like what buying a full set of Encyclopedia Britanica would be for them, way back when....

And if MOST Americans do not have more than $1k in savings, that includes mostly middle class Americans.

ALSO, some may say, I am going to drive my car for 10-15 years before replacing it, SO I CAN own the computers and have internet service....etc....sacrifices are still being made........ BUT NO ONE in the Middle class should have to make those kind of sacrifices, as middle class they should be paid enough to have all of that and more....imo.

Whatever hoity toity jerkoff sits on his computer judging other peoples' finances can uh, go ahead and kick rocks. Mind your damn business.

When I occasionally drive through some rough neighborhoods, I am always amazed at the number of very expensive vehicles, trucks with lift kits and custom wheels, tricked out Mustangs etc. The cost of these vehicles plus loan interest has to be way more than the annual earnings of these people. You are right, it is all about priorities.
selling guns...selling drugs or selling women....they have more than $1000 in their savings so are not even part of the group that needs to 'prioritize' in order to save imo.

When the government takes 12.4% of your lifetime earnings, for Social Security, it becomes harder to save.

and when govt gives you a panoply of welfare entitlements you lose your incentive to save The Chinese have 20% of our income yet save a 5 times higher % because they feel responsible for themselves.

Oh, I could tell you some stories from both ends.

I'm a financial advisor, and the funniest (I do mean funniest) part of my job is when I have a couple sitting in front of me with a nice nest egg, saying "well, we just never had to buy the fanciest stuff or the newest car or take expensive trips. We tried to be careful to save" -- it's almost like they're apologizing for having so much money set aside.

And I have one couple - I started a thread on this and many people "claimed" not to believe it - who had worked at Wal Mart and opened an account with over $400,000. Neither of them had been a store manager or in corporate, and they were one of the couples I described above.

As with many other issues, people will bitch and moan while refusing to look in the mirror.

I'm a financial advisor, and the funniest (I do mean funniest) part of my job is when I have a couple sitting in front of me with a nice nest egg, saying "well, we just never had to buy the fanciest stuff or the newest car or take expensive trips. We tried to be careful to save" -- it's almost like they're apologizing for having so much money set aside.

And I have one couple - I started a thread on this and many people "claimed" not to believe it - who had worked at Wal Mart and opened an account with over $400,000. Neither of them had been a store manager or in corporate, and they were one of the couples I described above.

As with many other issues, people will bitch and moan while refusing to look in the mirror.

Not long after I got married, a couple with 2 young kids, and a third on the way, rented the house next door.
A few years later, they moved into a very large, very nice house. My wife and I wondered how they could afford it, because the wife was a stay-at-home mom.
A few years later, when they declared bankruptcy, we learned.
A nice house, for a few years, and no savings, let alone savings for retirement.

Not long after I got married, a couple with 2 young kids, and a third on the way, rented the house next door.
A few years later, they moved into a very large, very nice house. My wife and I wondered how they could afford it, because the wife was a stay-at-home mom.
A few years later, when they declared bankruptcy, we learned.
A nice house, for a few years, and no savings, let alone savings for retirement.
Yeah, some people end up learning at some point, and others don't.

Forum List

Back