It's Time To Forget About Black Wallstreet & Juneteenth

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
The Destruction of Black Wall Street - EBONY

So a black co-worker of mine told me this weekend he and his family was celebrating something called "Juneteenth" -- I have never heard of this nor did I know this was something that was celebrated. He told me Juneteenth is just a holiday in honor of the African Americans (especially in the southern states), who were given emancipation from slavery in Texas on that day in 1865.

He then went on to tell me that they also use this as an opportunity to memorialize a tragedy that happened back in the 1920's called "Black Wallstreet" -- again, this is something else I never heard about. So I researched for myself -- in summary, Black Wallstreet was a predominately black district (about 40 square blocks) in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was considered one of the wealthiest districts in the state, definitely among the wealthiest black districts in the country -- equipped with their own schools, hospitals, an airport and the biggest church in the city.

Ultimately the whole area was reduced to rubble during a riot where over 300 black folks were murdered, 1300 homes destroyed, 150 businesses burned down, that big church also was burned down -- 9000 other black folks were left homeless and lived in tents into the winter -- 6000 more black folks were arrested. I was told this was the first time that US planes were used to drop incendiary devices on their own citizens.

One eyewitness wrote: “I could see planes circling in mid-air. They grew in number and hummed, darted and dipped low. I could hear something like hail falling upon the top of my office building. Down East Archer, I saw the old Mid-Way hotel on fire, burning from its top, and then another and another and another building began to burn from their top,” wrote Buck Colbert Franklin (1879-1960).

While reading all this I was puzzled as to why would black people even want to remember something like this? Why remember a riot in which you burned down your own neighborhood, killed your own people, and even attacked the white people who were there to help you? Why would they continue to celebrate Juneteenth? When most of them are still on the same plantations that Lincoln freed them from -- I then realized, blacks' propensity to always want to remember tragedies that they inflicted on themselves is something you can't make them stop doing. I definitely won't be celebrating Juneteenth.

I read the whites did this because of what one black kid did to a white woman. ONE FUCKING PERSON.
Such savagery!

I read the whites did this because of what one black kid did to a white woman. ONE FUCKING PERSON.
Such savagery!

Allegedly did to a white woman.

I think what really set off the whites was that the blacks went to the jail to prevent a lynching and won the initial encounter.

It's amazing how hate can remove the veneer of civilization so easily with some people. It's tragic how they shoved the whole thing under the rug for so long.

Such savagery!

I think what really set off the whites was that the blacks went to the jail to prevent a lynching and won the initial encounter.

It's amazing how hate can remove the veneer of civilization so easily with some people. It's tragic how they shoved the whole thing under the rug for so long.
It was only alleged? Thats even worse!

Such savagery!

It was only alleged? Thats even worse!

From wikipedia:

Whether – and to what extent – Dick Rowland and Sarah Page knew each other has long been a matter of speculation. It seems reasonable that they would have least been able to recognize each other on sight, as Rowland would have regularly ridden in Page's elevator on his way to and from the restroom. Others, however, have speculated that the pair might have been lovers – a dangerous and potentially deadly taboo, but not an impossibility... Whether they knew each other or not, it is clear that both Dick Rowland and Sarah Page were downtown on Monday, May 30, 1921 – although this, too, is cloaked in some mystery. On Memorial Day, most – but not all – stores and businesses in Tulsa were closed. Yet, both Rowland and Page were apparently working that day...
...Yet, in the days and years that followed, everyone who knew Dick Rowland agreed on one thing: that he would never have been capable of rape.

Forum List

Back